45# or 50#???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
    I'm going to get myself a recurve or longbow for my birthday, and wanted to know the pros of having a few more pounds of draw weight. I'm new to the trad game, and have had fun shooting my brothers 40# recurve. I know I want more than 40, but don't know if I should just make the jump up to 50 or keep it around 45 for starters

I'm up in Richmond, I have a 54lb recurve that you could try, I also have a 48lb longbow, that way you could see.

Comment

definitely a brand new game shooting traditional...

Comment

Do not overbow yourself. A good starter bow like the Sage at 40-45# is good to start. You can order hevier limbs later.

Comment

I shot a 40# bow almost daily for 9 months before going up to 50#. It took at least a month before I could comfortably keep the same form with the heavier bow. Back in Feburary I bought a 55# and I was surprised how long it took to get used to just an extra 5 pounds. 55# is where it stops for me - I can shoot it easily now but I think it would be diminishing returns if I went up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by chester12 View Post
            I'm up in Richmond, I have a 54lb recurve that you could try, I also have a 48lb longbow, that way you could see.
            I may have to take you up on that one weekend.

Comment

Go with a samick sage takedown, you can get whatever limbs you want as you progress, decent bows, don't break the bank and look good to.

Comment

I'd pick up a used 35lb recurve to learn with first, then get a hunting bow weight after you've learned to shoot a recurve. Over bowing starting out will give you a lot of problems. jmo

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                  I may have to take you up on that one weekend.
                  Please do, that way you can kind of see the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                    I'd pick up a used 35lb recurve to learn with first, then get a hunting bow weight after you've learned to shoot a recurve. Over bowing starting out will give you a lot of problems. jmo
                    X2

Comment

I would go with a #45 if not a little less. I have killed hogs with my 46@27 and never thought I was pushing it.

I started at #35 then to 50 then to 70 then 55 to 52 to 46 and now looking for a good low 40s bow. The lighter the bow the happier I am and the better I shoot! I enjoy shooting too.

Comment

I'd go 50.

I think the "overbowed" crowd is typical of, well, just typical.

If it's a little heavy when you get it, work into it!

Start with quarter-draws, half-draws. Just play with it; get the feel of it.

Get the "want-to" to master it!

Use a lighter bow or theraband to do 3 sets of 15 draws.

It ain't nothin' but a thang.

Joe

Comment

45 pound all around weight ,target and hunt .

Comment

Comment

Mr. Menace....didnt ya just build yourself a bow?? what happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X