45# or 50#???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45# or 50#???

I'm going to get myself a recurve or longbow for my birthday, and wanted to know the pros of having a few more pounds of draw weight. I'm new to the trad game, and have had fun shooting my brothers 40# recurve. I know I want more than 40, but don't know if I should just make the jump up to 50 or keep it around 45 for starters

If you are pulling the 40 pretty easy you might be able to handle 50; however, I will add, you definitely don't want to over bow yourself when you get started. You want something you can pull comfortably so you can work on form, etc.

Comment

I would stick with a 40 - 45#, at your draw length, and I personally would lean toward the 40#. You can easily hunt pigs or deer with that weight and it will be a lot easier to develop good shooting habits.

Comment

#5 may not sound like much but it's over 10% more than you've been shooting, and can be the difference between a few comfortable shots before form starts to collapse and being able to shoot comfortably all day. If you go up #10 that's over 20% increase...

As said above, aside from the BIG shielded hogs there's nothing in TX you couldn't kill with #45, a well tuned arrow and a sharp broadhead.

Comment

If you are pretty sure you are going to stick with it, consider a take down or an ILF for your first bow. You can get two sets of limbs.

I have been shooting 40's but will switch to 50's in Aug thru the hunting season.

Comment

Learn how to shoot on a lower 40s bow. If you get hooked move up from there.

Comment

My first traditional bow was 70#. It sucked. I regularly shoot my 55#, but I enjoy shooting the 40 and 45# more. I think 45# is a great poundage for me.

Before you buy the new bow, see if you can shoot both poundages. You may make up your own mind.

Comment

The only performance advantage of the heavier weight is that it will cast heavier arrows. Shoot as many different bows as you can before choosing.

Comment

A 10# jump in draw weight is a HUGE move, even for an experienced person. If you are new to trad, I would not advise more than a 5# jump at one time. It is also dependent on your draw length. Most bows are marked at 28", and if your DL is longer or shorter than that, then what is written on the bow is not what you are actually shooting.

I am also a believer that anyone should hunt with as much draw weight as they can shoot well.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'm going to go with a 45# recurve takedown, that is once I get a chance to shoot a few different models

Comment

47-48 # at your draw will get the job done on everything in Tx. And most other places too.

Comment

Ok, next question. What total arrow weight should I be shooting for with a 45# at 28" in order to stick some pigs and eventually deer?

Comment

9-10 gr of arrow weight per lb of draw weight.

Comment

500-600 grains will also get the job done. Speed is not everything.

Comment

I don't know all your specs....like how far you draw the bow and what arrow weight you shoot but I will tell you mine. I shoot 45# @ 31.5" in both longbow and recurve. My arrows weigh 725gr and I both hunt and shoot 3D with that weight. People think my arrows should fly very slowly at that weight, but they don't arch too much out to 30yds. They will blow through a deer like he isn't there. I use 200gr Ace Super Express BHs with a 43gr screw in insert on a full length 2315 Easton shaft (34.5"). 45# is plenty weight to get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                              X