Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    Glen, I agree completely with this. I was doing my repairs and it was the unwanted cheap plastic skylights that were leaking because the UV were breaking them down. I replaced them five years ago. Yesterday, I replaced two of the three with painted wood board screwed into the metal bar on the opener. Again, there should be no holes designed in the roof, it is a major flaw. All vents and AC should be located somewhere else. My leaks were unusually high due to the 30+ inches of rain we got after the 4th.

An airstream will leak just like the others if neglected.

My camper (not airstream) is a 2006 model and I recently had a new roof membrane installed. To my knowledge the one on it was original. When the old membrane was taken off all the wood under it was solid, almost pristine. There were a couple of areas that had gotten we at some point but there was no rot anywhere. I know this camper had been used by a full timer that was partially disabled as well.

As mentioned previously maintenance is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mine lives inside 95% of the time. I'm hoping that helps. As for the skylight, some people are actually tall enough to put their head in one when taking a shower

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2019 Keystone HideOut, 175LHS that has the AC installed (at the factory) in the side of the unit. Works great and it doesn’t stick out outside but a couple inches. The inside unit is in a cabinet. Search the model unit on google for pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          I spent most of today repairing a couple of leaks on the roof of my RV and sealing the seams on the roof. The leaks were from the stupid skylights which shouldn't be there anyway. Who needs the frigging skylights when there are Windows. Besides, I like it dark when I'm sleeping. Also, why is the AC on the roof? It should be located on the sides. This has been going on for decades. There should never be designed holes in the roof. Okay, rant over.
          Doing the stuff they do, they way they do, makes it quicker and easier to build those things and it guarantees, they will rot and fall apart in around 10 years, so they can see you a new one. If they built them like an Airstream, most of those companies would go out of business.

Comment

First thing I did for my lease RV was have a nice metal cover built to go over it. Problem solved. And, it really helps keeping it cool in the summer. A/C does not work nearly as hard.

Comment

First time in 43 years of married life we don't have an RV.
              I'm loving it! Wife is already looking though! We've had everything from an Appleby popup trailer to a 40 ft
              diesel pusher and one thing's for sure, if you don't pull regular maintenance on them, you WILL have problems. Leaking seams is nearly a guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                Doing the stuff they do, they way they do, makes it quicker and easier to build those things and it guarantees, they will rot and fall apart in around 10 years, so they can see you a new one. If they built them like an Airstream, most of those companies would go out of business.
                I believe you !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I believe you !
                  Agree

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    First thing I did for my lease RV was have a nice metal cover built to go over it. Problem solved. And, it really helps keeping it cool in the summer. A/C does not work nearly as hard.
                    Smart. I just did something similar

Comment

Those skylights really help ventilation when not running a/c. There's actually people who use these things without electric hookup and water you know. Lol

Comment

They should put mini splits on rv’s.

Comment

Can you get a Casita or Scamp with no holes in the roof? A mini split AC would work for those.

Comment

I have always put the roof vent covers on the top of the crank up roof vent on the RVs I have had. Solves the dry rot problem with that flimsy vent and also allows you to crack the vent for a little help with the heat in the summers.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Those skylights really help ventilation when not running a/c. There's actually people who use these things without electric hookup and water you know. Lol
                              Same effect on the sides, doesn't have to be a hole in the roof.

Comment

Don't see why you couldn't put the AC underneath with a vent, use same heater vents. Would be way quieter.

Comment

Working...
                                X