Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

I spent most of today repairing a couple of leaks on the roof of my RV and sealing the seams on the roof. The leaks were from the stupid skylights which shouldn't be there anyway. Who needs the frigging skylights when there are Windows. Besides, I like it dark when I'm sleeping. Also, why is the AC on the roof? It should be located on the sides. This has been going on for decades. There should never be designed holes in the roof. Okay, rant over.

Maybe you should start your own RV company and start the new trend.

On a serious note, A/Cs if on the sides would stick out further than the 8' width of a trailer. Not sure if you can be any wider without permits.

Seams are part of maintenance on a trailer. If you don't maintain them, you will get leaks. Maintenance is easy. I do it in the cooler months and it isn't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post

On a serious note, A/Cs if on the sides would stick out further than the 8' width of a trailer. Not sure if you can be any wider without permits.

Seams are part of maintenance on a trailer. If you don't maintain them, you will get leaks. Maintenance is easy. I do it in the cooler months and it isn't that bad.
      You hit the key!! Maintenance. Very little people actually do it

Comment

LOL I hate the dang sky lights too

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          I spent most of today repairing a couple of leaks on the roof of my RV and sealing the seams on the roof. The leaks were from the stupid skylights which shouldn't be there anyway. Who needs the frigging skylights when there are Windows. Besides, I like it dark when I'm sleeping. Also, why is the AC on the roof? It should be located on the sides. This has been going on for decades. There should never be designed holes in the roof. Okay, rant over.
          Pretty sure the owners manual says to check and maintain the sealant and weather stripping yearly...

Jersey Boi.

Comment

6'2", 275# !

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
            You hit the key!! Maintenance. Very little people actually do it
            Send some those fellers to do mine! I aint qualified!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post

A/C unit would have to be in the back or front end of RV

Comment

I replaced the top on my lease rv a couple years ago and covered up most of the openings. I was thinking the same thing you were the whole time i was working on it. A/c and refrig vent is all i left.

Comment

AC would have to be in the front or rear but to me that would be OK. Skylights are not needed. And I agree. Seams on the corners could be rolled over and done 2-3 inches down the sides.

Comment

And floors should be treated wood.

Comment

They make them like crap. I stayed in one for 7 months that was brand new and the both slides leaked. Pure junk unless restore One that is 40 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy1123 View Post
                        LOL I hate the dang sky lights too
                        I seal mine off first time they leak with a plate. The AC is another major problem 150# in middle of roof bouncing ad we go down road..

ANY PENETRATION in roof is a problem waiting to happen..

friend of mine had a ALPHA (i THink) it had the AC condenser underneath problem solved..Tell he had a BLOWOUT and it took out condenser and more..
                        Last edited by cva34; 07-18-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Spend the coin and get an aero stream. Have fun polishing but though!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            AC would have to be in the front or rear but to me that would be OK. Skylights are not needed. And I agree. Seams on the corners could be rolled over and done 2-3 inches down the sides.
                            Glen, I agree completely with this. I was doing my repairs and it was the unwanted cheap plastic skylights that were leaking because the UV were breaking them down. I replaced them five years ago. Yesterday, I replaced two of the three with painted wood board screwed into the metal bar on the opener. Again, there should be no holes designed in the roof, it is a major flaw. All vents and AC should be located somewhere else. My leaks were unusually high due to the 30+ inches of rain we got after the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                              Spend the coin and get an aero stream. Have fun polishing but though!
                              Why? They have holes in their roofs too

Comment

Working...
                              X