270 with muzzlebreak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

270 with muzzlebreak question

I have the opportunity to buy a 270 with a muzzlebreak at great price. It's fixed not the screw on type. How much louder is it going to be? I practice with hearing protection but rarely use it in the field. Will I have to use hearing protection for 1 or 2 shots in a hunting situation?

L o u d. You will need hearing protection

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
      I have the opportunity to buy a 270 with a muzzlebreak at great price. It's fixed not the screw on type. How much louder is it going to be? I practice with hearing protection but rarely use it in the field. Will I have to use hearing protection for 1 or 2 shots in a hunting situation?

I would recommend it. Hunting out of a 4x6 blind and shooting out of the opposite window with a .280 AI with a brake on it will make you wish you had heating protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad’s 30-06 is ported and I made the mistake of shooting it once without hearing protection. My God it was loud. My ears rang for over an hour. I will never do that again.

My buddy has a .270 with a brake and he will not under any circumstances shoot it without hearing protection.

Comment

Could you cover the brake and just have the regular noise? Hearing protection is still recommended.

Comment

It will be slightly quieter than an atomic bomb..... slightly

Wear ear protection

Comment

I probably should, but in a hunting situation I rarely notice mine. Now at the range, there’s no way I could shoot without ears on.

Comment

In my haste while exhausted from a all night sit in a Leopard blind I forgot my ear protection and fired a 300 Win Mag on a zebra in Africa and man that hurt. I dropped the zebra but it was hardly worth the pain and temporary deafness that followed.

I also forgot once and touched off a round from one of my 28 Noslers and it hurt bad. It’s not just a loud noise, it’s downright painful!

I did take a pronghorn with my 270 that has a muzzle break a few years ago without hearing protection and I don’t believe it was as bad as the magnums were but it’s still bad enough.

There’s no telling how much permanent hearing loss you suffer from doing that. Don’t do it.
                Last edited by jeffpg; 03-23-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the advice.

Comment

I shot a 300WM with muzzlebreak on it a few years ago, I will not do it again. Ears were ringing for sometime, and I was in open field. I can imagine shooting one in a blind

Comment

It’s noticeably louder than without the brake. For range situations you should always wear hearing protection regardless of what you are shooting! In the field I doubt you’ll even notice the noise...I never do!

Comment

Kids have a 270 and a 30-06 with brakes and they are brutal. I know this and carry and wear hearing protection.

Comment

300 win mag with a brake. It is brutally loud with out protection

Comment

You may not notice shooting at an animal, but you will suffer damage. My dad had a .270 Vanguard with a muzzle brake, and you could set it on sandbags and shoot it, and the gun would move back 3 inches. That is without anything but a finger on the trigger. Very effective. He had it installed due to arthritis in his right shoulder.
                            I had a brake on a browning .300 winmag. With light bullets, it still had lots of recoil. but shoot 200gr or over, and the brake became very effective, seemed to me to kick like a .243.
                            I got over the heavy caliber bug for deer. Every single animal I shot with that gun ran. I recovered them all, but had to track several that got out of my sight. The worst was a turkey I shot right through the middle. I know this was unusual, and this is an animal stomping caliber, but I had bad luck with it.

Sorry for a little bit of post drift. You will really like the brake at the range. And if gets you shooting more, it will be worth it.

Comment

You will need hear protection with a break but a 270 doesn’t need a break unless for a small child.

Ditch the break!

Comment

Working...
                              X