Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age 20 while riding Honda 90 Scrambler on portion of my grandad's ranch where a turkey farm had been but was now deserted, I discovered in an instant that the top wire of a barbed wire fence had been left on a partially demo'd fence. Saw it too late. My neck went smack dab in the middle of 2 barbs spaced 8 " apart. Didn't break my neck or bleed out with a ripped jugular. Back then, Ed Simonini was a big necked linebacker for A&M. I had a neck that swelled up like him. Also had one heck of a triangular bruise from under the jaw to the chin, LOL. Good thing I was still muscled up from HS football.

My younger brother was on the back of that little motorcycle at the time and he said I had one crazee look on my face once we fell down to the ground.

No alcohol or drugs were involved . . .

Still trying to figure out why I'm still here on earth.

Comment

Fractured skull in bar fight, I got three plates in my head now.

Comment

Playing baseball in college I thought I was bullet proof and tough! Well me and some guys were drinking at a bowling alley that was on the wrong side of town but they had cheap drinks. Got in a little scuffle inside but thought it had calmed down.

When we left the four of us walked out to the truck to find about 17 mexican gangsters busting out the windows in my roommates truck then they surrounded us and the fight was on. All 4 of us were stabbed and one buddy was run over by a car. I was stabbed 3 times in the side and back and spent a couple days in the hospital. Nobody died thankfully but it was serious at the time.

Comment

Fallujah 2004. If you have heard the stories or know anyone who was there you vaguely understand. Afghanistan 2008 stuck in a mountain pass for 3 days.

Comment

Had my rifle shot out of my hands while in the Marines.
            I had the armorat take the front sight post off of it.

I keep it to remind me of what is important in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
              Afghanistan, 2004. It is still difficult to put words to it.
              Thanks for everything you've done for all of us!

Comment

Thank the Lord above every day for each breath we take.

Remember - Our experience make us who we are.

Comment

WOW! I'm going to have to come back and read all these post. Glad ya'll are all okay.

I've had a lot of close calls but nothing very threatning. Knock on wood. An incident that makes my knees weak every time I think about occured in high school. My dad was off hunting in Mexico for a week so I decided to have a field party at the house. First indication I was up to no good.. The horses had been left out to graze the pasture so I needed to put them up in the runs so they woudln't escape if someone left the gate open. My buddy comes over and I tell him to hop on the tractor fender and he can ride along while I get two round bales to put in the run.
                  Thank GOD for power steering on tractors. As I enter the first run I have a bale on the front and back. There's a slight slope and I'm operating the tractor too fast. As I turn the tractor around I feel the tractor start leaning A LOT. The inside tires where about a foot of the ground, my buddy is hanging on for his life. I quickly spin the steering wheel back to the opposite direction and we got all fours back on the ground.
                  Could have been a real sad day for two families. Couldn't even imagine how I'd felt if I killed my buddy and I survived.
                  Last edited by Vantage Point; 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Been stabbed on two separate occasions, shot, beaten up by 4 or 5 punks in three major vehicle accidents doctors say I should of been dead in all of them. But the one time I thought I'm done for was I was kayak fishing in a tandem kayak with my brother and we were almost 2 miles out in the gulf, the kayak flipped and I dropped my rig on impact. I tried to going under right when we hit but it was gone, I felt like I was kickin for ever trying to get to the surface I finally swallowed a big gulp of water and remember my bro picking me up. Once I hit air I start regurgitating instantly to the point were I'm sinking I can't do anything but vomit my brother is trying to hold on to the kayak and me from slipping back under at the same time. After about ten minutes of this I finally come to with no strength to swim back to shore. A surfer saw us an got me on his board and helped us back in, all the stuff I have been thru this was the only time I thought I'm done this is it. My wife and mother say I'm invincible but I reassure them that the lord still has plans for me here, then he will call me home, and I will gladly go to be with him. Cherish everyday with your loved ones and thank the lord for your blessings.
                    Last edited by gpena; 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I obviously am grateful for praying parents and Gods grace. I have had many close calls.
                      At 13 I was the spotter in the bow of the boat watching as my dad was towing my nephew on a tube. The boat was overpowered and it went airborne tossing me out. My dad was very quick thinking and killed the engine mid air. The boat landed transom first just a few feet from me and slowly began to sink.

As a 6month rookie I had a cracked out maniac try to kill me and I ended up having to use deadly force to stop him and save my own life.

I had two head on crashes as a motor officer ( haven't ridden a scooter since 07).

Many other close calls while on duty, shot at, run over attempts, etc...

You may recall a couple of years ago seeing me on the news nearly getting killed on the Fred Hartman bridge by a runaway 18 wheeler wheel and tire. It hit my holster and I only suffered bruising from mid thigh to underarm. Three inches over and I would be dead. MSNBC did a story on it, caught on camera-narrow escapes.
                      I must have a purpose on earth because the man up stairs has been busy protecting me and obviously, a lot of other TBHers as well.

Comment

05 triple bypass--vn 120mm rocket between my legs--a dud.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                          I think the message here is that life is fragile and fleeting.

It can be over in the blink of the eye.

Please be careful so you can live a long life and died old and happy.

The creator only promises you this moment.
                          I guess it's time to x2 myself for our young and fearless members.

Comment

Originally posted by five-08808 View Post
                            I obviously am grateful for praying parents and Gods grace. I have had many close calls.
                            At 13 I was the spotter in the bow of the boat watching as my dad was towing my nephew on a tube. The boat was overpowered and it went airborne tossing me out. My dad was very quick thinking and killed the engine mid air. The boat landed transom first just a few feet from me and slowly began to sink.

As a 6month rookie I had a cracked out maniac try to kill me and I ended up having to use deadly force to stop him and save my own life.

I had two head on crashes as a motor officer ( haven't ridden a scooter since 07).

You may recall a couple of years ago seeing me on the news nearly getting killed on the Fred Hartman bridge by a runaway 18 wheeler wheel and tire. It hit my holster and I only suffered bruising from mid thigh to underarm. Three inches over and I would be dead. MSNBC did a story on it, caught on camera-narrow escapes.
                            I must have a purpose on earth because the man up stairs has been busy protecting me and obviously, a lot of other TBHers as well.
                            In regards to the 18 wheeler tire...I do remember that! Crazy that is you and yes you are extremely lucky. I went back on youtube and watched it and that thing was MOVING!!

Comment

Originally posted by five-08808 View Post

That was you???? I seen the video on TV several times

Comment

looking for a burglary suspect. walked between two parked cars. he jumped up and fired before I could react. shot me in the fat cheek of my face. could have been a lot worse but I lived and so did he. He wears a colostomy bag from the bullets in his belly and we pay for his upkeep in the fine criminal justice system system that we have. life goes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X