Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    Sounds reasonable, I'd like to do a comparison planting next season if I can find some.
    I'm thinking I might do it this year. Haven't planted yet.
    The seminar I sat thru was put on by a big name seed company, but not buck forage oats. But when talking about oats, they seemed to speak for all forage oats vs regular, not just their own.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

So are forage oats (say Harrison Oats) the same as buck forage oats?

Comment

seeing good sign already! surely you will see bigger bucks start to use the plot!

Comment

I planted some 2-3yrs ago. we don't have a lot of deer in our area. had a stand to make any farmer proud may try again

Comment

Just my opinion, drill in bu$$forage oats and be sure to have scamsoil in your tractor.

Comment

Results look promising so far.......

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                I've no dog in the fight, and ain't no farmer either, but I did sit in a food plot seminar last week so I'm kind of an expert on oats. [emoji44]. Whether there is any truth to this or not, I don't know, but according to the seminar, forage oats don't grow much more than 8"-10", and stay tender, making them a preferred food to say Bob oats or seed oats. They are also more tolerable to heavy forage, according to the seminar. Another thing that was mentioned, was a pesticide coating (if the need to store them in your shop?) And also a coating that boosts germination a healthy percentage over regular oats. Again I know nothing more than what I was told at the seminar, but they sure made them sound like they were different.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                And I didn't buy any, but did "buy" into the forage oats being different.
                Good info here. We switched to not using any mixes many years ago because we don't have a drill and broadcast then use a roller. Each seed is a different size so we spread individually for better coverage. Better seeds with an innoculate or add the innoculate ourselves improve germination significantly for us. We just planted last weekend at a blended rate of 285#'s per acre of forage oats, forage winter wheat, Austrian winter peas, chicory, forage turnips, forage rape, ladino and arrowleaf clover and chuffa. We plant about 14 acres in small plots ranging from 1/2 to 1 1/2 acres. So far the weather has been ideal since planting with a few inches over a few days already.

Comment

We planted some last year. Mowed, tilled, spread by hand and drug a harrow over them. They came up faster, stayed around longer and it appeared the deer preferred them over seed oats planted just 200 yards through the woods. BUT the other site does have 2 feeders, the forage oats just hand corn

Comment

What livinadream said is what I heard also. Made sense to me. Dooped? Well maybe. Maybe not!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      What livinadream said is what I heard also. Made sense to me. Dooped? Well maybe. Maybe not!
                      You know how long I’ve been waiting for the original spelling police to do this? Duped. Carry on

Comment

Fishndude, I was across from Dr. Deer's booth in SA and caught his food plot talk too. I traded T-Mate mounts to Rob for five sacks myself. Planing to plant them next weekend. I also went ahead and bought a solar fence charger and poly tape to fence it off.
                        I sure hope mine do as well as your's.

I've never planted a food plot before.

Comment

Dr. Kroll was the biologist on a Central Texas lease I guided on. Buck forage was planted in numerous plots across the ranch, and the deer hammered it. We had some cattle panel hoops set up in each plot so you could see how much it was being grazed. When they can't get to it, it really is thick and plush inside those rings. James is an ok guy.

Comment

To answer your questions.
                            Buck Forage Oats....success? Yes I would say you are successful in growing them and yes deer are eating them.

Maybe? Yes, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              To answer your questions.
                              Buck Forage Oats....success? Yes I would say you are successful in growing them and yes deer are eating them.

Maybe? Yes, maybe.
                              There it is, close the thread

All bs a side, looks really good especially for only being in the ground a week. How did you prep and plant them?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                                There it is, close the thread

All bs a side, looks really good especially for only being in the ground a week. How did you prep and plant them?
                                Threw it by hand and tilled it in. The end.

Comment

Working...
                                X