No announcement yet.

Knife inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now for the hardening process. Ok, I normalized the blade and then let it cool a couple of hours while I took care of some bidnez in my library. Then I decided to add some satanite clay to the spine and help with getting a hamon line. I like me some hamon lines
    Anyway I think it may have some pattern on it. It's in the oven now for 2 hours and the first cycle. I like to do 3 tempering cycles to get the grain structure as small as possible and better edge holding easy sharpening. Twice at 400 deg and third time at 375 deg.
    On file checking the edge is hard as times in 29. Blade stayed perfectly straight and I think the normalizing or equalizing the grain structure has all the credit since 1095 is prone to warp or crack if hardened while the metal is still stressed.
    I quenched this in Parks 50 fast oil and the clay just slipped right off with minimal effort. I have found that quenching in brine makes the clay stick to the blade and much harder to get off.
    Attached Files

Comment

From now on out the work will be slow and lots of elbow grease applied to get the hamon pattern to show up good. I still have at least 2 more afternoon naps to take before I get there.
      If the thread is still alive by then I will show the steps I use to put a handle on it and the materials I plan to use.
      Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Weather too nice to let go to waste so I went ahead and dipped the blade after 3 tempering cycles. Hamon came out about the way I wanted. Still lots of rubbing and ultra fine sanding left to do but I thought I better get these pics up soon in case the thread gets killed. Blade came out perfectly straight. Edge thickness is .029 to .030 so I'm tickled it stayed together. I'm stoked and might just use my last piece of Quebracho wood instead of the Micarta. This is gonna be a keeper fer sure.
        Attached Files

Comment

For my handle I decided to use my last piece of Quebracho. I wanted something simple and that will last me forever. Depending on who you ask Quebracho is either No1 or No2 hardest and densest wood known to exist. Only two mosaic pins but there's lots of G-flex epoxy between the wood and tang with all the holes I drilled to lighten and balance the blade. I added some grip grooves on the thumb bump just because. Next will be to grind a razor edge on it and make me a sheath maybe from a black stingray hide I been saving. Maybe I'll do a separate build along when I get around to the sheath making.

Now to go get some blood on it besides mine
          Attached Files
          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

That ended up really nice. I'm going to have to try a hamon line one of these days. I like the grain in that wood.

Comment

Great Job!!

Comment

Got a simple deep pocket sheath with a horizontal/vertical belt loop made for it and good tight interference fit. Since this is neither a Western Cutlery w-39 or a Schrade Sharpfinger but a hybrid facsimile thereof, I will have to call it my Cutfinger knife for obvious reasons. Nuthin bad, just a bandaid nick. The edge is crazy sharp and very fine so it should be a good all around skinning knife.
                We all done now. Thanks for watching
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow looks great. I was not aware of the thread-deletion troubles you knife makers were having. Congrats on the nice blade

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    Wow looks great. I was not aware of the thread-deletion troubles you knife makers were having. Congrats on the nice blade
                    If you are advertising and selling on here then you have to pay the piper. I think a vendor membership is now $500 from what I've heard and read. I don't offer knives I have made for sale on here. I'm a hobbyist just having fun in my retirement. I just like playing in the fire so maybe I'm a little bit of a pyromaniac. I don't make knives for a living. I will admit to selling a few thru word of mouth and to friends and family that requested a particular style but I don't advertise anywhere. Besides, I am retired 72 years old and supposed to be napping most of the time
                    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-14-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

It looks great. I like it.

Comment

great work!

Comment

That came out beautifully.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                            X