No announcement yet.

Equipment Left Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last week me and a buddy found 2 dozen duck decoys hidden in the woods 25 yards from the edge of the water haha

Comment

I understand these guys should be picking their stuff up but please tell me yall are not taking it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
        I understand these guys should be picking their stuff up but please tell me yall are not taking it!!!
        Not me! The only thing I've picked-up was Jay's bag, and it was returned to him.

Alot of guys do treat public land as their own, it's just cause and effect of hunting public land. It's not what I do, but I can only control me.

Mitch, I thought that was you. Welcome to the Green Screen. Santa? He said I was a bad boy and didn't stop at my house!

No really we had a goodtime watching the Grandkids open their stuff. I hope yours was as good. We need to get out there together again soon. I want to put the Whack on a piggie, hopefully finding it this time. LOL.

Comment

Ohhhhh...so is this Mitch the one that Ted sends into the brush to push hogs his way?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            Nope, just noting what I saw and what cars were there.

Comment

one electric feeder hanging in a tree by his ladder stand.
              This a NO Baiting hunting area. Hunt by the rules or don't hunt out there.

I'm thinking about posting the GPS cordinates of stuff like this as a Geocache. "Come on kids I think its over here. Cool, whats that?"

Comment

Actually you can bait, by hand. No feeders are allowed.

I have thought of playing hide and seek with their stuff, while not actually stealing it, just moving it a few hundred feet away from where they thought they left it. LOL. Or switching places with the feeder/stand. Hang the stand in the tree and put the feeder under the bushes.

Very funny Larry! Mitch is a good sport and an even better tracker.

Comment

there is noooo baiting allowed at Grapevine...

Comment

With as much equipment as I've walked by not once did I even consider taking someone else's stuff. I guess it takes a different breed of cat to do that.

Comment

straight from the district hunting guide-

Grapevine Lake
                      110 Fairway Dr. County: Denton
                      Grapevine, Texas 76051-2028 Acreage 2,300 acres
                      (817) 865-2600 Corps Permit: *Yes
                      (817) 865-2601 (fax)

Administration: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
                      Legal Game: Dove, quail, snipe, rail, squirrel, rabbits, waterfowl, feral hogs, and deer.
                      Season: Open year around. Game hunting allowed as published in the Texas Outdoor Annual for Denton County. The hunting area will open September 1, 2008 and close August 31, 2009 to allow archery hunting for turkeys during the Denton County spring hunting season for gobblers and year-round archery hunting for feral hogs.
                      Muzzleloaders and Crossbows: No
                      Special Restrictions: Deer and feral hog hunting are by archery only. Shotguns using #3 or smaller shot may be used during appropriate turkey seasons. Hunting on Grapevine and Lewisville Lakes will be combined into one permit that will include both lakes. However, the hunter’s safety course will be required for individuals hunting at Lewisville, but not Grapevine. Requests for hunting information for either lake should be directed to the Lewisville Lake Office at 469-645-9100. *A hunter survey must be returned to the Lewisville Lake office to obtain a permit for the following year. The hunter survey must be received by the Lewisville Lake office no later than July 2, 2009.

I see nothing in the district hunting guide or the usace grapevine website that states no baiting at Grapevine. Interesting fact under special restrictions
                      for turkey though. If Mr Lindamood is adding restrictions then those need to be added to the info above. Otherwise no one can say a thing about a little hand corn thrown out!

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by ngyoung27 View Post

I see nothing in the district hunting guide or the usace grapevine website that states no baiting at Grapevine. Interesting fact under special restrictions
                        for turkey though. If Mr Lindamood is adding restrictions then those need to be added to the info above. Otherwise no one can say a thing about a little hand corn thrown out!

Nathan

Page #6 in the ACE Public Hunting Guide

... Contact the site manager of a specific lake for information on using corn to bait deer or other game animals. NOTE: Hunters are responsible for knowing whether an area is baited or not!

Grapevine offices have been contacted time and time again by members of this site, and it has been documented here that baiting is not allowed.

J

Comment

My point is that they have a website for information and that information needs to be posted on the website instead of having to call someone and possibly getting wrong info. And the info on the website needs to say exactly what it says in the hunting guide! And as far as hunter orange, its archery only!, So i guess everyone is abiding by that requirement!
                          Last edited by GhostSkull; 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM.

Comment

All the regulations are found in the booklet given out to everyone when they get their permit from the corps office every Sept. There is no baiting of any type allowed out there.

Steve Lindamood has been transfered to Alaska, and the new contact out there is Tim Musick.

Here is an email reply to this very same question last year about baiting.

Steve Lindamood:
                            This is a link to a bow hunting forum where there are questions about the regulations in place. We need clarification please on the following points.

permanent feeders

hand baiting (pouring it on the ground by hand)

mineral blocks

powders containing food stuffs

liquids with flavorings

I will post your response as the definitive answer on the matter.
                            Thank you, Robert

--------------------------
                            Dear Robert,
                            Thank you for the link to the chat log; here are the definitive basic "Do's and Don'ts on the Elm Fork Project Hunting Lands (Grapevine & Lewisville), US Army Corps of Engineers Property (Corps), in regards to hunting. I greatly appreciate your efforts in helping to protect our precious public natural resources.

NO Rifles or Pistols.
                            NO Shotguns with any size larger than size 2.
                            NO Shotguns with slugs.
                            NO Crossbows.
                            NO Target Shooting or Target Practice of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, Skeet Shooting.
                            NO Permanent blinds. You may have a blind that is non-bark penetrating left in one place for up to 24 hours as long as it has showing your name and Corps Permit Number clearly visible. You may also construct a "permanent" blind out of naturally occurring materials that originated on Corps property. No nails, ropes, zip-ties, or other man made materials may be used to assist in the construction of these natural blinds (see the Fort Worth District Public Hunting Guide for further details).
                            NO BAITING. NO BAITING of any kind including the following, but is not limited to, Corn (hand baiting or feeders of any kind), scent lures, "feed blocks or liquids", powders, mineral blocks, etc. There is also no trapping of any kind.
                            Yes to Hunters Orange. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at least 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange material (144 square inches on both chest and back) when hunting and are also required to wear some type of orange head wear. Hunters exempt from this requirement are: persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season and persons hunting turkey, waterfowl, or migratory birds (except dove hunters during concurrent hunts for quail).
                            Corps Permit is Required. All persons 17 years of age and older are required to obtain a Corps Permit from either the Lewisville or Grapevine office prior to hunting either of these lakes. There are no "guest hunters", unless that person is below the age of 17 and is hunting with a permitted hunter within normal voice range, such as a son or daughter.
                            NO Vehicles. All vehicles including motorcycles, all terrain vehicles (ATV's), bicycles, automobiles, trucks, and any other vehicles (see CFR Title 36, Section 327.2 for vehicle definition) are prohibited off developed roadways. A developed roadway is a roadway that is paved or otherwise developed, that on which the public has full unobstructed legal access to travel (a public road). Operating any of the above beyond a gate, fence, or barrier is prohibited.
                            Hunter Education Required? Proof of a Hunters Education, from any state in the USA, is required to hunt Lewisville Lake regardless of the hunters age. You may hunt Grapevine Lake without a hunters education card if you meet the states education exemption requirement. The State of Texas requires all hunters born after September 2, 1971, to successfully complete a Hunters Education Training Course. If a hunter chooses to obtain a Corps permit without a Hunters Education Card and they meet the state age exemption, they will ONLY be allowed to hunt on Grapevine Lake.
                            Getting a permit by Mail or Fax? Currently all permits to hunt Lewisville and Grapevine must be obtained by completing the process in person at either the Lewisville or the Grapevine office. No mailed or faxed request will be considered. You must complete the permit process in person and no other person may do this for you. The process generally takes less than 5 minutes and has no fee involved.
                            Legal game? The only authorized game that is allowed to be taken are those game species listed in the "Legal Game" section for each lake in the Lake Information and Hunting Guide. Hunting game species not listed in the information guide is prohibited, including species such as snakes of any kind, skunks, crows,coyotes, bobcats, sparrows, grakles, etc. The main difference in huntable game between Lewisville and Grapevine Lakes is that there is hunting allowed for deer at Grapevine, but not at Lewisville.

Please call either the Lewisville office at 469-645-9100 or the Grapevine office at 817-865-2600 for any further questions or at
                            http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lewisville/index.htm.

Steve Lindamood
                            Natural Resource Ranger
                            469-645-9082
                            Elm Fork Project
                            Lake Lewisville, Grapevine, and Ray Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by TBH88 View Post
                              last week me and a buddy found 2 dozen duck decoys hidden in the woods 25 yards from the edge of the water haha

And you took it? VERY uncool.

Comment

I really wish the Army Corps of Engineers could get a standard set of rules for ALL the lakes they control. No feeding at the Vine, but you can hand feed at Whitney, and Aquilla. They should have a standard set of rules, so as not to confuse everyone. Every Corps operated lake I've been on has a different set of rules.

I understand the legal limits, as needed for a certain area. I understand the NO PERMANENT STANDS ALLOWED rule. But really how hard would it be to work together and set basic rules for ALL Corps land.

Oh, yeah, it's the Army way, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X