Equipment Left Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment Left Out

I have spent the last few days walking through some public land doing some hunting/scouting. Even on public land, I'm amazed what guys leave out there and just expect it to be there when they come back out next time. Some guys just don't care and will steal it upon sight.

I saw 3 ladder stands, one electric feeder hanging in a tree by his ladder stand. One guy even left his little fold up camo seat! That thing must weigh what?.......2 pounds? Why not just carry it out? Oh...anyone needs a two wheel dolly.....I saw 2 of them too. It's amazing to me that these people aren't able to follow the same rules regs set by the Corp as everyone else.

Contact the Corps. office and let them know what you found. They may decide to go pick it up. You never know when it is from a poacher and not someone hunting leagally. They may just go put a note on it and tell them to remove it. I know I have seen a tripod stand chained to a tree in the SHNF for about 8 years now. It doesn't have a seat on it now, and the brush has grown up around it, so i guess it is up for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
      Contact the Corps. office and let them know what you found. They may decide to go pick it up. You never know when it is from a poacher and not someone hunting leagally. They may just go put a note on it and tell them to remove it. I know I have seen a tripod stand chained to a tree in the SHNF for about 8 years now. It doesn't have a seat on it now, and the brush has grown up around it, so i guess it is up for the taking.
      Sounds like abandoned property to me.

Comment

Mitch, wich project were yu scout-n?

Comment

Grapevine.

Comment

I've seen some stuff out there too. I walked up on a homemade 2x4 ladder stand just off the hwy, had a 5 gallon hanging feeder on it with a motor spinner. The corps guy don't patrol out there much. I was told they only go out just before the season starts. Does'nt make much sense to me.

Comment

If you send the corp the latitude and longitude coordinates they will remove it and leave a note to the owner where they can pick it up, don't know if they write them a ticket though. My general rule of thumb is if its been there for over a year and doesn't looked to being used, I will take it down myself.

Comment

Ted...how are you doing!?

Was Santa good to you this year?

Comment

Were you East of 377? I hunt that area. That stuff is small compared to the pistol & skeet shooters. I have cut down 3 feeders this season myself since the area is very rarely checked buy the TP&D.

Comment

Yes, it always amazed me the number of people crying about their property that they left out on public land and expect it to be there once they return.

They seem to treat the public ground as if it was private property and that no one will mess with their stands, feeders ect while they are gone.

Yes, I believe it's not a good thing that people are stealing others property, but at the same time, it's not to smart to leave it out there in the first place.

It's kind of like leaving a $20 bill on the table at a restraut and going to the bathroom and expecting the $20 to be right there when you get back.

Comment

Yes it is east of 377. The amount of trash out there will blow you away. I know a lot of it was carried up when the floods hit but still....it's just nasty.

I wouldn't mind organizing a get together and doing a little cleaning out there......get some guys/gals together with some BIG garbage bags and do some walking. You could scout/clean! I'd even provide a smoked brisket for a late lunch if anyone is interested.

Comment

It is what it is. There are so many residential areas that butt up to the Vine. I could almost guarantee that the majority of the offenders out there live close by. Jay and I watched two hunters leave the area we hunt on an ATV one evening...the same evening Jay had two different guys walk by him with centerfire rifles. They crossed under the highway and disappeared in the dark. Some don't know they are breaking rules. Most do. It's just a part of public hunting. It's still a blessing to have the Vine no matter what you have to tolerate.

Comment

I agree 100% Larry.

You can add a pop up blind (very nice one at that!) to the list of things left out, and he was hunting over corn.

I saw a lot of birds tonight and one ugly looking opposum.

Comment

so you walked by him too? I assumed he was in there. Knowing the amount of pigs that follow that trail, it had not been there for more than 24 hours. Did you have a note on your car?
                            Last edited by ttujason02; 12-28-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, I walked by it on my way in and on my way out. It was STILL there on my way out. Unbelievable. I had the red silverado there tonight. I did have a note on my truck...did you leave it?

Who leaves a pop up blind out on public land? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X