Scope mounting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope mounting question

I bought a Browning Hells canyon 28 Nosler on here.

I purchased a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15-50 and some Talley medium rings made for my rifle.

I have bottomed out the scope and I’m still 12 inches high at 25 yards. At 100 yards, I can’t hit the target at all.

What should I do?

Thanks

Is it bottomed out or does it have some type of zero stop that has to be reset when zeroing the rifle? Not familiar with the scope model personally.
    Tyler

Comment

Bottomed out

Comment

I would send the scope back. Try another one or get a Leupold.

Comment

There should be a gunsmith in or near New Braunfels that could check it out for you.

Comment

Have you tried spinning your turret all the way from one stopping point to the other and using that to determine if you have the full range of elevation travel? That may help narrow it down to a scope issue vs a potential mounting issue.

Comment

Scope mounting question

Did you check the rings with a scope mounting alignment tool?

Swap front/back rings and try again? (Just a guess)

Call Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Bill; 03-08-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Zero Stop try this. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQlAmwNC9M"]How to set the Razor® HD LHT™ RevStop™ Zero System - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Check sight height, that is the distance from the center of the objective lens to the center of the bore. Sounds like you may be way above the bore.
                  Also, do you have a rail on it? and is it a zero moa or a 20 moa rail?
                  Post a pic.

That is interesting Mavrick. Just watched that video.
                  Last edited by El Paisano; 03-08-2021, 09:16 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Well, I'm an idiot.

I took the gun, scope, and rings and had it "professionally installed". They called to say that the scope was bottomed out and would not go any lower. They thought it would be a few inches high close range and maybe 4-5 inches high at 100.

After shooting it an realizing it was over 12" high at 25 yards, I just assumed there was an issue. I did not even try to adjust the turret. I just went in and looked at the gun again. It is topped out on the UP direction and not the DOWN direction.

I was at a private range on a private ranch. Now I have to go to our public range and start over. Like I said, I'm an idiot......

Thanks for all the responses and my apologies for the false alarm.

Comment

I thought I made a mistake once.

But I was wrong. Glad it got figured out,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TKP1991 View Post
                        Is it bottomed out or does it have some type of zero stop that has to be reset when zeroing the rifle? Not familiar with the scope model personally.
                        Tyler
                        Take the scope off and press the objective end against a mirror - you should see two sets of crosshairs. Start turning the elevation turret back and forth to see if one set of crosshairs moves over an extended amount of range.

If it does then a zero stop is most likely the issue.

Comment

Are you counting clicks and doing the math

Or do you have your eye in the scope sitting on bullseye watching crosshairs chase your holes?

Comment

I got it bore sighted now. Just need to take it to a range. It was definitely adjusted all the way up and not down. I should have known better.

Comment

You’ve got a problem if it maxes out at 12” high at 100 too. Regardless of direction. You should have a ton of adjustment either direction at 100.

Comment

Working...
                              X