No announcement yet.

How do you pay for your truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$6 at a time at the local drive thru car wash. Keep knocking the dirt off this classic of mine and she feels new again just long enough to scratch that new truck itch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you pay for your truck?

Negotiate price. The method of payment should have no bearing on the price.

You guys that pay cash I just don’t understand. Assume you pay $50k cash for a truck and for the sake of argument you were able to buy it for $2k cheaper that way.

Even at a meager rate of 4% on $50k in 5 years you’re looking at almost $61k if you left your cash in your investment vehicle.

So you saved $2k up front and lost $11k over 5 years. You’re $9k in the red. That doesn’t make sense.

I’ll borrow every penny I can at 0-1%. If crap goes down I still have my cash (that I’ve been making money on) to pay it off.

It’s math fellas. The other benefit is if crap really gets bad I have a vehicle that might get repossessed but I still have my $50k in the bank. Your’s can’t get repo’d but you don’t have $50k in the bank. I can buy a $2500 POS to get me around. I’m still ahead.

....always use someone else’s money if your’s make more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 175gr7.62; 03-05-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

You guys that pay cash I just don’t understand. Assume you pay $50k cash for a truck and for the sake of argument you were able to buy it for $2k cheaper that way.

Even at a meager rate of 4% on $50k in 5 years you’re looking at almost $61k if you left your cash in your investment vehicle.

So you saved $2k up front and lost $11k over 5 years. You’re $9k in the red. That doesn’t make sense.

I’ll borrow every penny I can at 0-1%. If crap goes down I still have my cash (that I’ve been making money on) to pay it off.

It’s math fellas.

If youre paying cash youre already well invested.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
          If youre paying cash youre already well invested.

You still ****** away money.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

It’s math fellas. The other benefit is if crap really gets bad I have a vehicle that might get repossessed but I still have my $50k in the bank. Your’s can’t get repo’d but you don’t have $50k in the bank. I can buy a $2500 POS to get me around. I’m still ahead.

....always use someone else’s money if your’s make more.

That’s all good of your “cash” is liquid. If it’s tied up in investments or other vehicles, it’s not truly liquid.

I’ll have plenty of money to retire on and leave a legacy with so I avoid debt at every opportunity. Ain’t nobody taking anything from me if I own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

At 1.24% I will gladly pay $900 over the course of 5 years to keep the amount my truck cost in liquid.

I plan on driving it 15 years minimum barring something catastrophic.

I bought it "used" at 7,500 mi. The dealership made an error in the online price and then took an addition $1,500 off before they caught the error. But they kept their word after we had a handshake. (Meador Dodge in FW). It was a former dealership loaner.

This saved me $5,000 and got a very slightly used Ram Lone Star 5.7L with everything I wanted and then some at @ 27,500. I financed all of it due to the interest I would owe. Payment is around $550 a month and will be up in 10 months.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

We always buy used. Trucks are mostly status symbols, since I don't really care what anyone sees me drive, this works well for my family.

Comment

I drive a94 chevy with 300,000 plus miles and my "nice" truck is an 02 Ford with 160,000+ miles. To hell with truck payments

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    For the new truck guys, there is no such thing as a good deal.

Funny to listen to some of this
                    Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    Don’t you know everyone single guy on tbh made got a steal on every truck and house purchase they’ve ever made
                    These are words of people who don’t know how to negotiate. Let me guess “ you get the a plan from Ford “.

Comment

me and the wife do have car payments but one is zero interest through a family member and one is 2.9%.. Both loans are almost paid off and we will be driving our cars for many years to come.. we bought my wifes new but mine used.. In my opinion if you cant make a 50% down payment there is zero reason to buy a new car these days..

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
                        These are words of people who don’t know how to negotiate. Let me guess “ you get the a plan from Ford “.

I negotiate for a living. Quite well actually.

Comment

My truck is a 2010, been paid off since 2014. I have continued paying the truck note to myself since it has been paid off, covers repairs, maintenance, pays for the lease and a vacation usually. I shopped new trucks a while back and decided against it. I’ll just fix mine when it breaks. I have a commuter vehicle and a Jeep when I get tired of the commuter. I keep the wife in a new vehicle, but she’s a business owner so we can cover the cost. Truck prices are beyond ridiculous. You never come out ahead no matter what kind of deal you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            I negotiate for a living. Quite well actually.

Not for a new truck I’m assuming.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                              This
                              Ditto this.

Comment

Buy here pay here used car lots

Comment

Working...
                                X