No announcement yet.

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishermen are the biggest bunch of whiney, windbags, you’ll come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      " Trophy " Fishermen are the biggest bunch of whiney, windbags, you’ll come across.

Fify

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
        ^^^ you are surely correct on who hires all these guides...but...trout are surprisingly resilient during the cooler months, as several studies/and post tournament holding tanks can attest.. but, you stand correct, in the summer w/88F + water, if they are not brought to hand very fast, many parish....

and as far as texas' shrinking pie, i believe we will have a lot more battles over a shrinking resource.... but there is still no reason why we can't have a big trout fishery.. cca can tag some trout over 25", and that will prompt some to release an un-tagged over trout.. ( i personally think this will save thousands of croaker soaker trout every summer)

some tournaments have capped the size of trout to 25"(yeah, i know, crazy to fish for smaller fish for a trnmt, but they are at least trying)

i don't care what anyone says, you can just as easily fillet a couple 17" trout for supper instead of a big one.. if you feel the need to fillet every trophy trout you catch w/in the law, than you're just selfish.. no way you'll change my mind on that... and if you say 'txpwd' says i can keep one 25+ a day, well....i'll hold my tongue.. i know WAY too many landowners to have said that, but will they let all their family come onto their land and 'tag out' on deer, b/c txpwd says you can kill 5 deer per person?? hypocrites....

(don't forget, txpwd and govt agencies failed the redfish in the 80's, and reacted a little slow on the trout limits.. the flounder, totally failed by govt)

Trout and most other gulf coastal fish are more resilient during the cooler months but trout are never “surprisingly resilient” to handling... ever, they are just not hardy fish.

Comment

true!

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Fishermen are the biggest bunch of whiney, windbags, you’ll come across.

^^^ so true..

think it all boils down to many agendas, many ethics, many standards......but the same public access....

mexico/etc...didn't mean to come off as 'holier than thou'.. i know things change... i have many good years of wading left, just missing the fishing of old... and just like many, like to leave something better than i found it..

on a positive note, at least we were around when lots of big uns where, too.. here are a few of the many, legitimate 30-32 1/4" i landed (landed a 31 and a 30 15/16" in 2016, only hooked one since). bottom left is a 10.25(one of several)..this one came from emb
          Attached Files

Comment

Well I'm 60 years old, I've had a place in Sargent Tx for 34 years and I've fished in saltwater all over the US. If somebody thinks there's no big trout out there you're not doing it right. There's sea monsters out there fella's you just got look where the others guys don't. And they are still out there and they'll be out there long after we're gone. If you don't believe me then, well they're all dead, everyone of them. Y'all go play golf.

Comment

Only " Real Fish Kill " I see are in these photos.

1. You're hanging that fish by his throat for a picture. Hey look at me, I'm a purist... killing this fish for my picture. Absolutely zero back hand to help maintain his weight out of water. You're literally killing that fish for a picture.

2. At least you're helping on your back hand but what's up with you having his head completely jacked backwards. I'm sure that's a healthy way to handle a giant fish. Gotta get that pic!

3. Hey look at me I drug this fish all the way back to the weigh in to show everyone how much of a purist I am and have absolutely zero interest in killing trophies [emoji849]. Fish looks exhausted and drier than a 50 year old woman after menopause.

4. Another throat hanger with zero support, gotta get that weight and pic!

I'm sure Lemmo our local crabber appreciates you more than you know.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Mexico; 02-28-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Mexico is right on that one. If you ate releasing one to live leave them in water or put them in wet sling

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                  Well I'm 60 years old, I've had a place in Sargent Tx for 34 years and I've fished in saltwater all over the US. If somebody thinks there's no big trout out there you're not doing it right. There's sea monsters out there fella's you just got look where the others guys don't. And they are still out there and they'll be out there long after we're gone. If you don't believe me then, well they're all dead, everyone of them. Y'all go play golf.
                  Agreed.

The freeze reports are talking about all kinds of big trout
                  Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Only " Real Fish Kill " I see are in these photos.

1. You're hanging that fish by his throat for a picture. Hey look at me, I'm a purist... killing this fish for my picture. Absolutely zero back hand to help maintain his weight out of water. You're literally killing that fish for a picture.

2. At least you're helping on your back hand but what's up with you having his head completely jacked backwards. I'm sure that's a healthy way to handle a giant fish. Gotta get that pic!

3. Hey look at me I drug this fish all the way back to the weigh in to show everyone how much of a purist I am and have absolutely zero interest in killing trophies [emoji849]. Fish looks exhausted and drier than a 50 year old woman after menopause.

4. Another throat hanger with zero support, gotta get that weight and pic!

I'm sure Lemmo our local crabber appreciates you more than you know.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
                  But boga grips bro.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as catch and release, I've caught the same trout three limes over a 6 year period. It had an unmistakable tail. The last time it was 27". I caught it off my pier in Sargent and I believe my neighbor caught it six months after the last time I caught, but he kept it, I saw a picture and I'm sure it was the same fish. Tagging studies show an over 80% survivability when handled with a little care. As I've said before, we all need to take a breath, it's going to be alright.

Comment

your'e right, mexico.. those fish i released have a much smaller chance of surviving than those photo'd n filleted and the cleaning table..

kevin, years ago i landed a 32" trt outside of a. pass...had an unmistakable large tumor/something, bout the size of a golf ball in the roof of it's mouth, a perfect 1/2 sphere.. over a month later my brother was idling over to pick me up and my last cast the exact fish bit. long before cell phones (cameras),and the crappy 35mm disp would have never worked in that low light.. i still wonder what ever happened to her..

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                        As far as catch and release, I've caught the same trout three limes over a 6 year period. It had an unmistakable tail. The last time it was 27". I caught it off my pier in Sargent and I believe my neighbor caught it six months after the last time I caught, but he kept it, I saw a picture and I'm sure it was the same fish. Tagging studies show an over 80% survivability when handled with a little care. As I've said before, we all need to take a breath, it's going to be alright.
                        I think trout have a much higher survivability than what some of you think. If not then we would see big dead trout floating all the time. The West end of Matty in the Fall and Live Oak in Winter would be covered in floating fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Agreed.

The freeze reports are talking about all kinds of big trout But boga grips bro.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          Lot of big trout dead in East Matagorda bay, it seems to have hit the big ones pretty bad from what we've learned so far. I believe the true giants are in the surf, they're a whole different animal out in waves. But that's a topic for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            I think trout have a much higher survivability than what some of you think. If not then we would see big dead trout floating all the time. The West end of Matty in the Fall and Live Oak in Winter would be covered in floating fish.
                            Some studies show above 90%. It's strange how we don't see small dead trout floating in the fall when all the schoolies are under the birds and we catch em one after the next yet they float up after a freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              Bass and trout are two different fish so it’s not apples to apples to begin with. Factor in the amount of people who come to the coast for vacation etc. who do you think all those guides are taking fishing? It ain’t many locals. The family from Dallas wants to come down and get their limit, because it’s a once a year trip, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that the “once a year guys” outnumber the locals fishing. Everybody is entitled their their slice of an ever shrinking pie, and it won’t change. You can throw back all the trout you want, 50% are going to die anyway. They’re not hardy fish.

That’s the difference, people come to the coast for recreational fishing, people fishing for bass a targeting bass and rarely keep one. If people go to a lake for recreational fishing they chase crappie, whitebass, hybridization or catfish.

Comment

Last post on this thread for me. I hope that the keyboard biologists have it wrong. I would much rather have a healthy and sustainable resource for my kids and their kids vs. making a great living guiding. Anyone should catch what they can and how they can following the legal means of catching their limits of fish. Blaming guides is completely out of round, there have to be 1000x or more the number recreational coastal fisherman versus guides. Big trout are around, plentiful, and readily catchable if folks spend the time on the water.

Comment

Working...
                                X