No announcement yet.

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You called someone a child for throwing bait- Fair enough- But at least they aint a sorority beoch drinking a White Claw

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      You called someone a child for throwing bait- Fair enough- But at least they aint a sorority beoch drinking a White Claw

The man is trying to watch his figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorority beoch I am. Love me some Claws.

Comment

Lol! At least he’s open about it and doesn’t try to hide them in a koozee like a few metros I’ve seen in little bay

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Sorority beoch I am. Love me some Claws.
            Mango is so good ice cold. Just wish they had IPA level slcohol 🤣🤣

Comment

well, my rant kind of got kind of skewed off target.. in all seriousness, why can't we have a trophy fishery, resembling what we had in the 90's? millions of us have 150$k rigs we pull up to the ramp with, so we dang sure aren't starving... i understand those who don't live on the coast don't care about a trophy fishery, they just want to get a lot of tugs/have a good time/ and take some fillets home.. and that's great. but we who live here, those that fish here often, and especially those who profit from our speckled trout fishery should be proud to strive towards a texas sized trophy trout fishery.. just like the guys on l fork/amistad etc are towards their bass.

Comment

How do you propose to keep fish in bays to make it cpr? Isnt the 5 trout limit supposed to be the answer to the trophy conundrum?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                  How do you propose to keep fish in bays to make it cpr? Isnt the 5 trout limit supposed to be the answer to the trophy conundrum?

idk. but after the longest stretch in modern times w/out a major fish freeze, you would think we would have had some bigger trout. but i do know what happened to p mans/baffin and emb when all the guides started using croaker.. whether people admit it or not, they put a hurtin on anything over 22".. somehow, with all the pressure/development on tx lakes, they still turn out water body records. when was the last time a bay specific trout record was broken? and count me among the many that give no credibility to bud rowland's trt, the only dang fish txpwd certified without seeing it... but that is a subject for another day..

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                    well, my rant kind of got kind of skewed off target.. in all seriousness, why can't we have a trophy fishery, resembling what we had in the 90's? millions of us have 150$k rigs we pull up to the ramp with, so we dang sure aren't starving... i understand those who don't live on the coast don't care about a trophy fishery, they just want to get a lot of tugs/have a good time/ and take some fillets home.. and that's great. but we who live here, those that fish here often, and especially those who profit from our speckled trout fishery should be proud to strive towards a texas sized trophy trout fishery.. just like the guys on l fork/amistad etc are towards their bass.

Bass and trout are two different fish so it’s not apples to apples to begin with. Factor in the amount of people who come to the coast for vacation etc. who do you think all those guides are taking fishing? It ain’t many locals. The family from Dallas wants to come down and get their limit, because it’s a once a year trip, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that the “once a year guys” outnumber the locals fishing. Everybody is entitled their their slice of an ever shrinking pie, and it won’t change. You can throw back all the trout you want, 50% are going to die anyway. They’re not hardy fish.

Comment

I was looking at water body records the other day and a good majority of them are from the mid-90’s....post 89 freezes and pre-croaker craze.

Comment

Some people like to chase trophy deer, others like to go out and just have a good time at their lease and bring home a little meat with the kiddos.... same scenario here. Stop trying to conform everyone to your style of thinking.

You guys want to chase them, go for it but leave the guys out there trying to catch a few for their fryer alone. Or the guys out there with the kiddos soaking shrimp.... I can hear it now..... sorry little Johnny you can't keep thar 21" trout because some jack wagons think they're entitled more than you.

Tons of coastal guys could care less about trophy trout. Me included. If I catch a trout over 25 it's an accident as I'm usually in the shallows stalking reds.

5 fish is already at extremely conservative levels with 1 trophy a day. Nothing needs to be done... zero.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Bass and trout are two different fish so it’s not apples to apples to begin with. Factor in the amount of people who come to the coast for vacation etc. who do you think all those guides are taking fishing? It ain’t many locals. The family from Dallas wants to come down and get their limit, because it’s a once a year trip, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that the “once a year guys” outnumber the locals fishing. Everybody is entitled their their slice of an ever shrinking pie, and it won’t change. You can throw back all the trout you want, 50% are going to die anyway. They’re not hardy fish.
                          ^^^ you are surely correct on who hires all these guides...but...trout are surprisingly resilient during the cooler months, as several studies/and post tournament holding tanks can attest.. but, you stand correct, in the summer w/88F + water, if they are not brought to hand very fast, many parish....

and as far as texas' shrinking pie, i believe we will have a lot more battles over a shrinking resource.... but there is still no reason why we can't have a big trout fishery.. cca can tag some trout over 25", and that will prompt some to release an un-tagged over trout.. ( i personally think this will save thousands of croaker soaker trout every summer)

some tournaments have capped the size of trout to 25"(yeah, i know, crazy to fish for smaller fish for a trnmt, but they are at least trying)

i don't care what anyone says, you can just as easily fillet a couple 17" trout for supper instead of a big one.. if you feel the need to fillet every trophy trout you catch w/in the law, than you're just selfish.. no way you'll change my mind on that... and if you say 'txpwd' says i can keep one 25+ a day, well....i'll hold my tongue.. i know WAY too many landowners to have said that, but will they let all their family come onto their land and 'tag out' on deer, b/c txpwd says you can kill 5 deer per person?? hypocrites....

(don't forget, txpwd and govt agencies failed the redfish in the 80's, and reacted a little slow on the trout limits.. the flounder, totally failed by govt)

Comment

They should make it first 5 fish. Trout dont do well once handled. You may feel good releasing them but facts are about 50/50 survival unless it has dramatically increased in last 5 years when i read that. Redfish do well when released

Comment

^^^ you are surely correct on who hires all these guides...but...trout are surprisingly resilient during the cooler months, as several studies/and post tournament holding tanks can attest.. but, you stand correct, in the summer w/88F + water, if they are not brought to hand very fast, many parish....

and as far as texas' shrinking pie, i believe we will have a lot more battles over a shrinking resource.... but there is still no reason why we can't have a big trout fishery.. cca can tag some trout over 25", and that will prompt some to release an un-tagged over trout.. ( i personally think this will save thousands of croaker soaker trout every summer)

some tournaments have capped the size of trout to 25"(yeah, i know, crazy to fish for smaller fish for a trnmt, but they are at least trying)

i don't care what anyone says, you can just as easily fillet a couple 17" trout for supper instead of a big one.. if you feel the need to fillet every trophy trout you catch w/in the law, than you're just selfish.. no way you'll change my mind on that... and if you say 'txpwd' says i can keep one 25+ a day, well....i'll hold my tongue.. i know WAY too many landowners to have said that, but will they let all their family come onto their land and 'tag out' on deer, b/c txpwd says you can kill 5 deer per person?? hypocrites....

(don't forget, txpwd and govt agencies failed the redfish in the 80's, and reacted a little slow on the trout limits.. the flounder, totally failed by govt)
                              You've completely missed the point. I haven't killed a trout over 24 inches in probably 10 years plus. It's a rule on my boat that if one's caught ( trophy) she swims off.

But that's MY rule not the states. Why? Cause I don't need the state how to tell me to conserve our resources. And definitely don't need the state to start up with more regulations they'll never give back.

If a man wants to gut a 27 inch trout go for it. It's your " holier than tho " attitude that let's what another man is doing legally bother you. And that's on you cuz.

Comment

I know folks will take this the wrong way but If you want to save big fish, ban croaker, plain and simple. More big fish die at the hands of croaker guys than every other way combined. There are guides who popped up out of nowhere and all they do is chunk croaker. There was a guy that posted up on here last year asking for tips because his guide canceled because he couldn’t get bait. If a “guide” has to cancel a trip because he couldn’t get bait, he ain’t a guide. I saw run n gun had posted they have caught I dont know how many thousand fish over 25” the last couple years, and without croaker, they probably wouldn’t break a couple hundred, and that’s one outfit on one small bay. I don’t have a thing against guides, or fishing with croaker, it is legal and people can do whatever they want. That’s their right and I won’t tell them not to do it, but if I was calling the shots, that’s what I would do.
                                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 02-28-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X