the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stickman View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. I guess I’ve been asking the wrong folks down here, they all look at me with a blank stare. You know where I could find those double trouble worms? I’ve been buying them at garage sales and out of old tackle boxes but only find a few every year.
    Can’t help you there but I will keep an eye out.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up. I guess I’ve been asking the wrong folks down here, they all look at me with a blank stare. You know where I could find those double trouble worms? I’ve been buying them at garage sales and out of old tackle boxes but only find a few every year.
      I believe Johnny's has them on their website.

Comment

I love those jointed Redfin baits. I’ve been trying to get ahold of the (Jesse) arsola special. I still buy quite a few baits from H&H tackle, lots of old school plastics that still work and are about 1/3 the price of all the fancier more hyped up plastics. If anyone has one of those arsola customized broken backs or any double trouble worms I’d gladly buy them from you.

I’ve had these a long time. Guess I should clean them up and use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15DABBC2-207D-413A-AD2A-69A8884AA03A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	24645349
          Thank y’all for the help finding that ED special. Saw this while I was on that website. Pretty cool set, I’ll end up buying 1 to save and 1 set to use.

Comment

This thread got me laughing good ... bruh said azz wipe ... [emoji1787]...

I really don't care what anyone else does, just don't shove your biased narrative down my throat...

What to keep fish per state regs? Kill em..

Arties? Go for it...

Croaks? Sling em... ( I slide by their big fish pics like a fat kid does a salad bar) anyway...

I've had 40 plus years on our coast. I've seen the fishing be absolutely fantastic to completely terrible several times over, over the years. And it will continue...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]1042061[/ATTACH]
              Thank y’all for the help finding that ED special. Saw this while I was on that website. Pretty cool set, I’ll end up buying 1 to save and 1 set to use.

Caught many a trout on that red and white wading off the tx city dike in the wintertime back in the day.

Comment

Been fishing the coast mostly Xmas Bay & San Luis area since early 70s. Caught & seen many trout over 30". I have mostly used Artificial but am not above using bait & would not call someone out for doing so. The fishery will rebound just like it has before.
                Just get out & enjoy the resource & don't worry about how someone else fishes as long as its w/in the law.

Comment

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  just don't shove your biased narrative down my throat...

Just reading between the lines from the outside, I think that is what Huntindad was suggesting in his azzwipe post..[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Yup we used to use piggies, finger mullet or even pinfish in addition to shrimp back in those days depending on what we were after if we could find them. Dad was pretty handy with a big cast net and taught us the same. He had his places to go throw a net. But mostly it was shrimp and then lures. We threw our fair share of touts and gold spoons. I don’t think I threw a croaker until I was into my late 20s on a visit back home as I’d already graduated college and moved to DFW by then. Folks today would laugh at the saltwater plastics selection we had back then compared to today. I wish we had today’s selection back then as it would have been stupid easy ....we thought we had it good when the strawberry shrimptail and the chartreuse “worm” were the rage.

On edit.. I forgot about Bingos and mirrolures too. We got real fancy when the broken- back jerk baits came along. I think they were cotton-cordells and rapalas iirc. Been awhile.
                    Mirror Lures, Kelly Wigglers soft plastics(smoke with a pink tail), Bone Super Spooks and Johnson Sprite spoons or Hot Rod spoons were go to artificial baits.. I've caught some really big Flounder bouncing 3/4 ounce gold spoons off the bottom, up drop offs in channels and on sand bar edges..
                    Back in the day we would cast net the giant white shrimp and fill up our ice chest..
                    Last edited by PondPopper; 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                      Lol, 90% on the guides I see at the cleaning table only have 3-4 reds, a couple drum and a trout or 2. Their clients leave with a smile even after getting azz raped for $700.
                      This is true and I speak from experience. Went with a guide and went down to Matagorda. Went to a bunch of spots with live shrimp and didn't catch anything. I did catch a croaker and put on a rod and oddly nothing ever took it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                        This is true and I speak from experience. Went with a guide and went down to Matagorda. Went to a bunch of spots with live shrimp and didn't catch anything. I did catch a croaker and put on a rod and oddly nothing ever took it.

What guide? Seriously thats extremely odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                          Well, I don’t know that I would be smiling with $700 worth of tilapia fillets walking out of the grocery store(talk about azz rape). It’s much more than just stuffing the box full of fish. I’m a guide, and my have a trip booked with one of the best and a widely known name on the Texas coast. No, I don’t want his spots, I don’t want to keep fish, I want to learn from him. Tips, techniques, and whatever else I can pick up from him will be worth 10x what I pay for the trip. I’m not too familiar with azz raping anyone but I’ve never had a client leave without a smile whether the box was full or not. I know I’ve worked hard for them every time, put us in the best position to catch fish, and hopefully taught them a little something so they can have some confidence when not fishing with a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                            Two weeks before the freeze i witnessed something horrible in south bay. We where in the channel fishing and every cast was 16-19 inch reds. A guide boat came blasting in and power poled in about 30 yards away. We had 40 fish landed under limit without a keeper. The guide boat was full and they fished for 30 minutes loaded up and took off.

I understand making a living but these guys really don't care. Pack the cooler and make their next boat payment.

I follow the fishing reports from multiple guides and all off them are down playing the fish kill.. Business as usual i guess.

My brother which is a huge fly fisherman is not going to keep a fish for over a year.

Hopefully a overall sportsmanship approach to the sport picks up speed and our waters can recover.

Personally i would like to see TPW step in and institutes a zero limit on trout.
                            Guides are to blame, I have seen them do the same thing you just described. Folks save your $700 dollars and buy yourself equipment to target fish yourself. It is more satisfying

Comment

Fed GW says the freeze hit'm pretty bad down this way fwiw...

Comment

Isn't this still the Land of the Free? Use what ever you want to catch your fish. Just don't try to tell me how I have to catch them.

Comment

Working...
                                X