No announcement yet.

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A whole lotta ignorance in this thread.. And for the record, I caught all of those big trout back in 83 on LIVE SHRIMP(Free shrimping)... No one back then was using croaker.. It was unheard of.. I wish I would have been one of the first to figure out that Trout love them... Now we did use live piggy perch from time to time with great results(big trout love them)but catching them was time consuming.. These days true Piggys are hard to find/catch..
    Now days I am primarily a lure chunker not because it is more challenging but because a lot of times it just easier and less stressful.. But I wont hesitate to use live bait if someone wants to.. I guess you can say I am just a fisherman.. I love to fish...
    Holier than thou Purest make me giggle..

Comment

Nice thread

Comment

TT i right with you. I just fish. When im solo i often just throw tops. But im not against pulling up to a reef or drain with a bag of shrimp and catch some small black drum for the table.

Comment

A few on this thread know I'm no great freshwater fisherman, I'm even worse in the salt, but just like hunting, I like it because I can do it MY way. If I am in the mood to catch a higher number, I use live bait. If I feel like being more sporting, I use lures.

If I'm on a guided trip I do whatever the guide tell me to do, I'm there to catch fish and he knows how to do it. Panhandle hunter knows, I tell the guide to tell me what to do and I will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            TT i right with you. I just fish. When im solo i often just throw tops. But im not against pulling up to a reef or drain with a bag of shrimp and catch some small black drum for the table.
            And Sheephead... The poor mans lobster..

Comment

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              A whole lotta ignorance in this thread.. And for the record, I caught all of those big trout back in 83 on LIVE SHRIMP(Free shrimping)... No one back then was using croaker.. It was unheard of.. I wish I would have been one of the first to figure out that Trout love them... Now we did use live piggy perch from time to time with great results(big trout love them)but catching them was time consuming.. These days true Piggys are hard to find/catch..
              Now days I am primarily a lure chunker not because it is more challenging but because a lot of times it just easier and less stressful.. But I wont hesitate to use live bait if someone wants to.. I guess you can say I am just a fisherman.. I love to fish...
              Holier than thou Purest make me giggle..

Yup we used to use piggies, finger mullet or even pinfish in addition to shrimp back in those days depending on what we were after if we could find them. Dad was pretty handy with a big cast net and taught us the same. He had his places to go throw a net. But mostly it was shrimp and then lures. We threw our fair share of touts and gold spoons. I don’t think I threw a croaker until I was into my late 20s on a visit back home as I’d already graduated college and moved to DFW by then. Folks today would laugh at the saltwater plastics selection we had back then compared to today. I wish we had today’s selection back then as it would have been stupid easy ....we thought we had it good when the strawberry shrimptail and the chartreuse “worm” were the rage.

On edit.. I forgot about Bingos and mirrolures too. We got real fancy when the broken- back jerk baits came along. I think they were cotton-cordells and rapalas iirc. Been awhile.
              Last edited by Smart; 02-28-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Well, my attitude is the problem. If the limit is 5 fish, I want to keep 5 fish every time I go out.
                I should keep just what I plan on eating then. After eating those fish, go catch more.
                I hear too many people throwing away freezer burned fish from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Yup we used to use piggies, finger mullet or even pinfish in addition to shrimp back in those days depending on what we were after if we could find them. Dad was pretty handy with a big cast net and taught us the same. He had his places to go throw a net. But mostly it was shrimp and then lures. We threw our fair share of touts and gold spoons. I don’t think I threw a croaker until I was into my late 20s on a visit back home as I’d already graduated college and moved to DFW by then. Folks today would laugh at the saltwater plastics selection we had back then compared to today. I wish we had today’s selection back then as it would have been stupid easy ....we thought we had it good when the strawberry shrimptail and the chartreuse “worm” were the rage.

On edit.. I forgot about Bingos and mirrolures too. We got real fancy when the broken- back jerk baits came along. I think they were cotton-cordells and rapalas iirc. Been awhile.
                  I love those jointed Redfin baits. I’ve been trying to get ahold of the (Jesse) arsola special. I still buy quite a few baits from H&H tackle, lots of old school plastics that still work and are about 1/3 the price of all the fancier more hyped up plastics. If anyone has one of those arsola customized broken backs or any double trouble worms I’d gladly buy them from you.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                    I love those jointed Redfin baits. I’ve been trying to get ahold of the (Jesse) arsola special. I still buy quite a few baits from H&H tackle, lots of old school plastics that still work and are about 1/3 the price of all the fancier more hyped up plastics. If anyone has one of those arsola customized broken backs or any double trouble worms I’d gladly buy them from you.
                    What does the Arsola broken back look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Y’all don’t think the new 5 trout limit won’t help?
                      Been 5 for a few years now. Even longer where the freeze killed more fish

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      Ya know...some folks ain't that serious fishing and like to enjoy their time on the water.

you and your high and mighty attitude can suck eggs azz wipe.
                      LOL. Wow

Innerwebs is cereal

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Been 5 for a few years now. Even longer where the freeze killed more fish

LOL. Wow

Innerwebs is cereal
                        I gottem all riled up.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          What does the Arsola broken back look like?
                          I’m looking for pic, I think proper name was the ED special.

Comment

Yep, that’s what I thought you were talking about. I believe Johnny’s sells them and I believe he has a Facebook page now you can buy them. When I had my tackle shop open we sold a bunch of them. You could also stop Douglas Realty in Bay City and pick them up. Eddie Douglas, coastal legend makes them.
                            Last edited by panhandlehunter; 02-28-2021, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              Yep, that’s what I thought you were talking about. I believe Johnny’s sells them and I believe he has a Facebook page now you can buy them. When I had my tackle shop open we sold a bunch of them. You could also stop Douglas Realty in Bay City and pick them up. Eddie Douglas, coastal legend makes them.
                              Thank you for the heads up. I guess I’ve been asking the wrong folks down here, they all look at me with a blank stare. You know where I could find those double trouble worms? I’ve been buying them at garage sales and out of old tackle boxes but only find a few every year.

Comment

Increased fishing Pressure on the coast in my lifetime has been incredible.
                                I remember the good ole days of quiet wading on a secluded bay. I fished Copano one afternoon the week before the ‘83 freeze and slayed them.

When I was a kid, lots of people kept their largemouth bass after the marina brag photos. Catch and release sure helped those fisheries. There are tons of tournaments on the big lakes these days and bigger fish keep getting caught. And fisherman still enjoy their sport.

For the record, I seldom saltwater fish now. Guided trips once or twice a year And I much prefer lures to soaking croakers. Regardless of the success rate.

Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X