the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the "Real fish kill of 2021" in progress

what does it say for our speckled trout management/pressure, that freshwater lakes(oh ivie as a recent ex) are still breaking weight records and the worst freeze on the coast in 32 yrs failed to produce dead trout 12+ lbs like the freeezes of 83/89? one could even find documentation of several 15lb+ trout found in the 83 freeze. i know with the record number of anglers targeting trout, the trophy fishery will never be as good as it was in the mid 90's to 2003/2004. i really miss catching 10-15 trt every year over 27".. i'm lucky to catch 1/2 that many now, and i hope i've gotten better over the yrs.

all good things must come to an end.. so, i'll pop a top for all you guides, the real fish killers!!!
    Attached Files

Dagger

Comment

Mike drop

Comment

I still catch 10-15 trout over 27” every year, probably double that. But I agree it isn’t close to what it used to be.

Edit: not on croaker either.

Comment

I don’t really follow. The 83 freeze was the worst in modern history. It was colder and for longer. It would have killed more fish

Comment

As you have gotten better over the years, so have the guides.

Those who take out 2 groups of clients a day to limit out on croakers aren’t going to practice CPR like us weekend hacks.

The next few years will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

I just hope that the pressure on the fishery is reduced. The increase in fishing pressure on the middle coast over the last 30 years is astonishing.
              Last edited by HOOKNBULLET2; 02-26-2021, 07:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

[QUOTE=skeeterboud;15495933]what does it say for our speckled trout management/pressure, that freshwater lakes(oh ivie as a recent ex) are still breaking weight records and the worst freeze on the coast in 32 yrs failed to produce dead trout 12+ lbs like the freeezes of 83/89? one could even find documentation of several 15lb+ trout found in the 83 freeze. i know with the record number of anglers targeting trout, the trophy fishery will never be as good as it was in the mid 90's to 2003/2004. i really miss catching 10-15 trt every year over 27".. i'm lucky to catch 1/2 that many now, and i hope i've gotten better over the yrs.

all good things must come to an end.. so, i'll pop a top for all you guides, the real fish killers!!!
                You’re full of pigeon ****!
                Stay in the city where you belong

Comment

Basically it all comes down to either police yourself and respect the resource or others will feel obligated to do it for you. It’s always ALWAYS the few that ruin it for the rest.

Comment

Lol, 90% on the guides I see at the cleaning table only have 3-4 reds, a couple drum and a trout or 2. Their clients leave with a smile even after getting azz raped for $700.

Comment

matty

come on, maaannn! pony soldier

i never lived in the city.... but i have been wading emb(100%lures) 80+ days a yr starting before billy p started guiding out of an al. boat.. and before the house boat in kaine's disappeared.. don't tell me the trophy fish pop. is the same.... but you may throw croaker, dead shrimp and other kid bait!! (sorry, i could't resist)

[quote=Leemo;15495979]
                      Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                      what does it say for our speckled trout management/pressure, that freshwater lakes(oh ivie as a recent ex) are still breaking weight records and the worst freeze on the coast in 32 yrs failed to produce dead trout 12+ lbs like the freeezes of 83/89? one could even find documentation of several 15lb+ trout found in the 83 freeze. i know with the record number of anglers targeting trout, the trophy fishery will never be as good as it was in the mid 90's to 2003/2004. i really miss catching 10-15 trt every year over 27".. i'm lucky to catch 1/2 that many now, and i hope i've gotten better over the yrs.

You’re full of pigeon ****!
                      Stay in the city where you belong

Comment

That’s the answer.yes get rid of all the guides that take other people fishing so it’ll help you out. Sounds great.

Comment

Two weeks before the freeze i witnessed something horrible in south bay. We where in the channel fishing and every cast was 16-19 inch reds. A guide boat came blasting in and power poled in about 30 yards away. We had 40 fish landed under limit without a keeper. The guide boat was full and they fished for 30 minutes loaded up and took off.

I understand making a living but these guys really don't care. Pack the cooler and make their next boat payment.

I follow the fishing reports from multiple guides and all off them are down playing the fish kill.. Business as usual i guess.

My brother which is a huge fly fisherman is not going to keep a fish for over a year.

Hopefully a overall sportsmanship approach to the sport picks up speed and our waters can recover.

Personally i would like to see TPW step in and institutes a zero limit on trout.

Comment

Wow. How about we all take a deep breath. The sky isn't falling. All the fish aren't dead and all the guides aren't evil. I know a lot of guides and not one of them is a bad guy, they're guys that like to fish like the rest of us. Trust me they're not in it for the money. This to shall pass
                            Last edited by kevin nicholls; 02-26-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I will have no problem keeping enough trout for a meal or two. If you feel you need to let them all go, that's your prerogative. Those of us that love to fish and keep a few will. Heard cca is talkin about cancelling STAR. What does that say about them if they don"t. Buncha hypocrites
                              Bet a bunch of those whining about wanting 0 kept, support them.

Comment

Working...
                              X