Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

It's a fairly long video, but I wanted to capture and record details for my own archival purposes. With benefit of hindsight, what might you have done differently?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wtTZQTrA9o"]RAW Emotion....Hannah's South Texas Buck Bowhunt Didn't Go as Planned. - YouTube[/ame]
    My Flickr Photos

Another ducking deer...I love watching your videos..

Shot placement could have been obviously a bit more forward however I'm wondering what a faster arrow would do for her. What poundage can she pull? Its obvious he rolls away and pulls his gut closer makes me think if that arrow got there just a smidge sooner you might have a totally different story.

Snapshot of moment of release and impact hes clearly ducked and rolled imo..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kingranch; 02-22-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Cannot believe you didn't recover that deer...

Great story regardless...hunting is as much about lessons learned as it is the kill.

Get back out there this fall and Drill ONE!

Comment

I watched the video last night on YouTube and in spite of the fact that it was not the outcome y'all wanted it was one of the best hunting videos I've watched in awhile. The interaction between the two you was priceless. As far as what could have been done different.... absolutely nothing, just my opinion. As all of us know, or will know if it hasn't already happened, this happens. You live, you learn and keep enjoying the challenge of the sport. Again, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Michael, that is truly one of your best videos yet! The emotion from Hanna was so amazing! You are such a great dad for the time that you spend afield with your daughters, as well as capturing these moments on video. You are a great example of what a father should be in my opinion! As far as the shot goes, and having had this happen to me more than I care to admit I always wait for the deer to bring that front leg forward to open the vitals.

Comment

My opinion. Don't teach low and behind the shoulder. Often results in stomach shot deer. Teach vital V. Much more lethal and the deer is much more likely to either die or live rather than die and lost.

Comment

Awesome video. Sorry Hannah didn't get her buck but yall did everything right. The only thing I can add is to make sure the deer is perfectly broadside or slightly quartering away. I made a terrible shot this year on my buck and had to call Roy and John to come finish the track for me. The deer was stone dead 75 yards from where we stopped tracking him but it was worth it to have the dog come take a look. My saving grace was the fact that the deer was quartering away (harder then I thought) and I must of caught the offside lung. I haven't even edited the footage because it makes me sick to watch! I missed my spot by a large margin but still ended up with the buck, purely because of angle. I think most of the time, that deer dies and I can't believe Roy's dog didn't get that deer. Its bowhunting and it happens!

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                My opinion. Don't teach low and behind the shoulder. Often results in stomach shot deer. Teach vital V. Much more lethal and the deer is much more likely to either die or live rather than die and lost.
                I second this

Comment

First off... great job on that video. You did everything right after the shot. All of us that have done this a long time understand that this happens and most of the time there is no explanation. Clearly the shot was a little back but definitely low liver. I would expect to recover that deer 100 percent with a dog.

Thanks for sharing. Again, I really like the video.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 02-22-2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

While I agree on most accounts and pretty much shoot only for the deadly V it changes when you have lower poundage draw weights lighter arrows ect imo anyway .Makes it alot tougher to punch through that shoulder.

Great video Michael as usual! I would have expected a recovery with that shot especially with a dog.

Comment

wow, your video production skills are second to none. can't believe y'all didn't find that buck. good stuff as always

Comment

So my take is sometimes it just doesn't go like you would think. We had a buck two years ago that we named Zombie because he was passed through the lungs the first time, then again two weeks later then again two weeks after that before he died. All three arrows exactly where you want them. See my post for the pictures.

This buck lived for a month with two pass throughs in the lungs.

Comment

Head down deer drop and move faster. I saw that on a video about deer reaction times and have tested and it *appears* to hold true. Shot was too far back, I think that was also a result of the deer having his head down creating an illusion that the shot was further forward than it was at the time of release. I think it was Smart on here that posted a video that pretty much everyone, including myself, thought he had heart shot the deer, but it was actually a liver hit. His video was a similar deer position, if i recall correctly

Because of those 2 videos and my real world experiences, i try to only shoot at head up, relaxed deer.

Excellent video and thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                            Another ducking deer...I love watching your videos..

Shot placement could have been obviously a bit more forward however I'm wondering what a faster arrow would do for her. What poundage can she pull? Its obvious he rolls away and pulls his gut closer makes me think if that arrow got there just a smidge sooner you might have a totally different story.

Snapshot of moment of release and impact hes clearly ducked and rolled imo..
                            I haven't checked it recently, but I believe she's somewhere between 40-45#. I upped it a little during the season. I think she can handle more and that's one thing we're going to increase as we practice. We also want to extend her comfortable target range out beyond 30 yards.

I happen to think a Jak Hammer would have made a difference here. I was reluctant to put a mechanical on her low poundage bow, but even as is the Avail is efficient enough to punch through a whitetail. I ordered her a pack of JH's immediately after this hunt.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by NCTx Dude View Post
                              I second this
                              Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                              Awesome video. Sorry Hannah didn't get her buck but yall did everything right. The only thing I can add is to make sure the deer is perfectly broadside or slightly quartering away. I made a terrible shot this year on my buck and had to call Roy and John to come finish the track for me. The deer was stone dead 75 yards from where we stopped tracking him but it was worth it to have the dog come take a look. My saving grace was the fact that the deer was quartering away (harder then I thought) and I must of caught the offside lung. I haven't even edited the footage because it makes me sick to watch! I missed my spot by a large margin but still ended up with the buck, purely because of angle. I think most of the time, that deer dies and I can't believe Roy's dog didn't get that deer. Its bowhunting and it happens!
                              We've had similar discussions about various scenarios and shot angles, even before this hunt. I have a tendency not to want to crowd the shoulder because I've both experienced and seen issues with hitting the "elbow" (with both fixed and mechanicals). I have gotten more comfortable with aiming for the "deadly v" on straight broadside shots.

I actually prefer shooting at a slightly quartering animal, and "aim for the exit." I believe it allows for a greater margin for error while avoiding potential problems with the shoulder/elbow. I also believe it negates ducking a bit, as a deer will typically drop more in front than the rear.

But that's a discussion for another video!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X