Refinery Job Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
    I'm looking at making the switch back to land from a drilling rig also. This 28 day hitch alone I've missed Christmas, daughters bday, sons first deer, New Years, and my anniversary. The money is good but missing half of seeing my kids growing up is getting old.
    Yep there’s a lot of that happening out here. It’s been two years since I’ve had a full crew. And with the added 5 day quarantine on top of a 28 day hitch makes hiring good people impossible. With BS classes on days off makes it that much easier to toss in the towel. I was thinking about buying a dump truck to drive on days off till I got enough contacts and jobs lined out to get out of here.

Comment

My biggest problem is that my company is completely getting out of the Gulf of Mexico oilfield. I worked 28/28 for 10 years with no problems. One particular service boat company in Louisiana is underbidding everyone and we couldn't compete. We are currently offshore Suriname and I MIGHT be home in March...maybe. I started my hitch with a 1 week quarantine on December 28. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that i have a job, but i think its time for something closer to home with a more reliable schedule so i can be with my wife and upcoming children.

Comment

I remember the refineries.

Comment

I have been an operator for 6 years now in a chemical plant making CO and H2. I am a console operator and now a shift supervisor. I would not trade it for the world but shift work does suck. With you working offshore it should not be a problem. You get to go home at the end of 12 hours here.
          One of my shift mates worked as a driller offshore for 20 years and got tired of being away, he is in his late 40's and the hardest worker I have ever seen. I have to force the guy to take breaks. You should have no problem moving into the refinery or plant work.

Comment

Working...
          X