I Bought a Freeze Dryer - Harvest Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Has she been able to run any batches, or did it "fail" the initial tests?
    One successful batch of beef liver. Then nothing

Comment

I Bought a Freeze Dryer - Harvest Right

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      For backpacking meals, I think it’s important to avoid large chunks of fat. I think it’s more of a function of the fat turning rancid more than anything. I’d think you’d be ok for both of those for camp meals as long as you store them properly and use them relatively quickly. I’m assuming the bacon grease in the jambalaya is for browning and not necessarily an added ingredient in quantity?

Hopefully y’all can get the pump issue resolved quickly. Is she working with HR techs on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used single serve packets of coconut oil and ghee on our last backpacking trip to supplement the low fat trail meals. It really made a huge difference in our satiation. For long term storage sake, maybe make the recipe without the fats and know that you plan on adding them later?

I almost got the small harvest right before CoVid hit. A couple at my parents church were selling theirs for $1,000. But, the wife just couldn’t see how it could be worth it. I’m kicking myself for not just grabbing it, because we could have just held it for six months and doubled our money.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-13-2022, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        We used single serve packets of coconut oil and ghee on our last backpacking trip to supplement the low fat trail meals. It really made a huge difference in our satiation. For long term storage sake, maybe make the recipe without the fats and know that you plan on adding them later?

I almost got the small harvest right before CoVid hit. A couple at my parents church were selling theirs for $1,000. But, the wife just couldn’t see how it could be worth it. I’m kicking myself for not just grabbing it, because we could have just held it for six months and doubled our money.

I did the same with the packets of ghee on previous elk hunting trips.

I rehydrated some pulled pork last week and it was good, but lacked a bit of the “unctuousness” that you feel from freshly cooked pork. I added some avocado oil to it to attempt to replicate it.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great videos and lots of useful info for those like me wanting to jump in.

Curious if you have done any vegetable “chips” like carrots or sweet potatoes??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Great videos and lots of useful info for those like me wanting to jump in.

Curious if you have done any vegetable “chips” like carrots or sweet potatoes??
            Yes. Sweet potato chips are GREAT! Dried green beans are really good, as is asparagus. I've also made several "greens" powders (kale, spinach, etc.) for smoothies. Most veggies do really well FD, either rehydrated or dried.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              One successful batch of beef liver. Then nothing

Is your machine back in the game?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Any updates? About to order one. Should I get any extras? Oil less pump?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Hey Joe, I just sent him a PM about the same thing. Hopefully he'll jump in here soon...

I have binge watched FD videos on YouTube the past several days... Wife and I have decided to get one and I wanted to do some "research"... Be careful!! there's some misinformation and downright lies out there about what you can and cannot freeze dry successfully.

I'd highly suggest going to "School Reports" YouTube channel and scan through his videos... He's got some great information especially as it pertains to doing meats and other high-fat content products... Watch his video on responding to the anti-fat videos... It was very eye opening for me and made me feel a little easier about doing meats...

We are going to order the "Large" model... Was going to get the XL, but after measuring where we intended to put it, that sucker is just TOO BIG! Watch other channels and many of the folks said in their recommendations they'd get the largest one that they could afford... many actually having started out with a small one, got a second, third or even more units!! Suckers are pricey so I want to buy once/cry once... Think I'm gonna spring for the oil free pump too.

What you thinking about getting?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                      Any updates? About to order one. Should I get any extras? Oil less pump?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Thanks, Charlie, for the heads up.

I’m still using mine regularly, although not as frequently as I did when I first bought it. I’m trying to ramp it back up, though, especially as the garden starts producing more.

I have the large and it works well for me. Others have indicated that they wish they had larger. If you have room and budget, I might recommend the XL.

As for extras, I’d definitely recommend an extra set of trays (or at least the lids, which can double as trays.)

You’ll need plenty of Mylar bags and O2 absorbers. I also store quite a bit in mason jars if it’s something I plan on using fairly quickly.

I have a couple sets of the silicon mats but I rarely use them. I bought precut parchment paper that I use occasionally to absorb some fat or to stack items (like bananas.)

I opted for the Premium pump on my second unit (had the standard on my first.) The premium is much quieter than the standard (premium is standard now.) I believe I recall that the oilless pump is actually louder than the premium, and it requires some fairly complex maintenance from time to time. Changing oil every 25 batches is quite simple.

Don’t hesitate to post, PM or text me if you have additional questions. Eight one seven - 22 99 11 2. I’ll try to pay better attention to PMs/participated threads!

Also, here’s my affiliate link again if you don’t mind supporting my channel and the site!

Freeze drying at home with a Harvest Right freeze dryer is the best way to preserve food for your family.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Here is a good video demonstrating various pump options.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I just watched SRs video about freeze drying fats. There is some good info and I think he’s pretty much spot on…BUT…

I think you have to be extra careful when freeze drying foods with a lot of fat, and especially large chunks of dense fat. IMO, moisture can get more easily “trapped” within the fat and can take longer to remove than moisture in the leaner portion of the meat. I did some leftover brisket - both “fatty” and lean - and made sure I added a LOT of extra fry time. The finished product was “oily” but still breaks crisply instead of bending.

I had some dark meat chicken in one of my early test batches that I stored in a mason jar that became flexible after several weeks. It was also oily to the touch.

“Phil at 4800 feet” has a video where he tested 3 year old packages of various meats, including ham, hot dog slices, pepperoni and little smokies. The ham and hot dog slices failed his tests for methane and hydrogen sulfide. The ham was flexible to the touch (as was some roast beef that he tested.)

The pepperoni and even the little smokies, which had visual white fat still on them, were still good.

I’m guessing he failed to get all the moisture out of the fat on the ham and it ultimately rehydrated the meat.

IMO, it’s more difficult to remove moisture from within large pieces of fat, and considerably more difficult to determine WHEN it is gone. I do like SRs method of weighing the tray of food every couple of hours after initial dry time until there is negligible change in the weight of the tray.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks Michael... Very good info! Do you weigh your trays before/after to determine moisture content for reference on how much moisture you need to put back in to rehydrate? If so, what scale do you use... I'm putting my shopping list together. Want to get my order to HR by Friday...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Thanks Michael... Very good info! Do you weigh your trays before/after to determine moisture content for reference on how much moisture you need to put back in to rehydrate? If so, what scale do you use... I'm putting my shopping list together. Want to get my order to HR by Friday...

I’m not as diligent about it as I was when I started, but I do weigh my finished product for each bag.

I have a small (gram/oz) scale that I bought from Meatyourmaker that works well.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well OK, the deed is done! My bride and I just placed our order for a Large machine, extra trays, extra oil, tray covers and a vacuum hose... Said shipment 1-2 weeks!! I was excited to hear about that! Hope this is true! By then, we should have enough veggies to keep that sucker going 24/7 for a while, not to mention, we've already frozen 50 or so quarts of blackberries, a bunch of broccoli and cauliflower and started on a few squash...

Now I'm excited!!

Thanks Michael for my next addiction!!

Comment

Working...
                                X