Travel trailer inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer inspection

What do they look at to get a travel trailer inspected ? purchased a used Trailer they said I needed to get it inspected before they would switch over the title. Which is going to be a pain all it is used for is to set at my lake lot which is where it’s setting right now so will have to hook it up and pull it to a freakin town to get it inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who is "they"? usually they just want to make sure it is road worthy and safe. you can usually find a local shop to do it.

Comment

All they looked at on mine was the lights and tires. Did you ask if you could switch the title over with out getting plates for it?
      How much does it weigh, under a certain GW it doesn't have to be inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
        What do they look at to get a travel trailer inspected ? purchased a used Trailer they said I needed to get it inspected before they would switch over the title. Which is going to be a pain all it is used for is to set at my lake lot which is where it’s setting right now so will have to hook it up and pull it to a freakin town to get it inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a safety inspection. Lights, tires, chains, etc. and working brakes if applicable. Costs $7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
          All they looked at on mine was the lights and tires. Did you ask if you could switch the title over with out getting plates for it?
          How much does it weigh, under a certain GW it doesn't have to be inspected.
          No sir I didn’t .

Comment

its a joke. more of a pain in the ***. Getting the trailer to a place that you can get in and out of easily. I would rather pay more for my tags than pay for this.

I told my son we need to come up with a mobile trailer inspection gig.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
              its a joke. more of a pain in the ***. Getting the trailer to a place that you can get in and out of easily. I would rather pay more for my tags than pay for this.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

It is always a pain to pull it into an inspection station. All they have ever looked at on mine are the tires (barely) and that the lights work.

Comment

Only travel trailers over a certain weight have to be inspected from what I've experienced. Can't remember exactly what that minimum weight is though.

Comment

Seems like on the title transfer work there are two options. One for title and one for title & registration. Maybe you can just go the title route and avoid the registration (and thus the inspection). Not sure if it works that way, but did the see the options when we transferred over ours a while back.

Comment

I asked my guy when Ize getting my truck done if I could take pics/video of tires/chains and lights working and show him.....that'll be $7 more please.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                        It is always a pain to pull it into an inspection station. All they have ever looked at on mine are the tires (barely) and that the lights work.

The one I go to is pretty thorough. They check tires, lights, break away cable, trailer brakes.....This is on a 5th wheel so I don’t have safety chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lights, tires, brakes and break away

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post

I asked about mobile trailer inspection and the place I take mine to said the state requires the computer used to enter the information must be connected to a landline phone.
                            Hardly any place around that does trailer inspections is set up for trailers to be pulled in and especially maneuver or turn around. Luckily the place I take mine has a big parking lot next door where a grocery store used to be and they walk over.

Comment

The weight is 7500 lbs, mine is 7000 so i dont need to get it inspected

Comment

Working...
                              X