Looking for new bow need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for new bow need help

Hey guys, so with some advice from y’all a yr ago I finally got into the trad game. I got a Samick Sage recurve and a few arrows and started practicing. Practiced for awhile and ended up getting to kill 2 deer so now I’m hooked. I still don’t know much about trad bows or the right arrow weights I need. I shot it well but Looking to move to a better and quieter one. Say I got a budget of 6 - 700 what bow, arrows and broad heads should I try to get

Your budget is in that uncomfortable area. Too little to even buy a new upper end production bow and really about the same for a used custom. If you intend to get a target and arrows included in your budget, you really are talking about having $400 to $500 for the bow. I draw a blank on recommending a new bow in that price range. I like to scour the internet looking for little used customs, but can't even find recent vintage used customs for that amount of money. There are lots of fifteen or twenty year old bows for three or four hundred dollars that would do you a good job. I'm thinking that a good clean Howatt Hunter may be the best option. It is a 62" bow, the grip is not radically different than what you are used to, and it has been in production for over sixty years with few changes. That tells me that the design is a good one. Depending on age, you can find nice Hunters for $150 to $500. Bob Lee bows are also fine shooters. They tend to be a bit pricier. Watch the grip on them. Some will have high grips, which may or may not work for you. Go look around in the classifieds on ArcheryTalk.com and Stickbow.com. Be patient and you will run on to a good bow that someone has to sell. Watch for frequent price drops. That sometimes is a tip-off to a bargain.

Comment

First, congrats on your success the first year! 60 Deluxe is right on with his post. Take your time and you'll find a good deal. I shoot a Bob Lee and love it. I also have several custom DryCreek Bows made by fellow TBH'er Chris Hackworth, They shoot very well. As far as arrows and broadheads go, you'll end up trying many different set up's once you find YOUR bow. I currently use Traditional Only arrows from 3Rivers and 175 gr Simmons Shark broadheads. Once you get your bow, I'd buy a test kit and see what spine arrow shoots best. Good Luck with your search.
      Last edited by Hunter Todd; 05-29-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

X2 on 60 Deluxe post. I was also thinking a nice pre owned Howatt Hunter when reading your post. I shoot primarily Bob Lee's and I love my Howatt Hunter's. Both my Howatt's are used bows and are really fine shooters. You may even find a Bob Lee in your price range. I lucked into a new to me Bob Lee last year for $450.00. It is a fine bow.

I personally like to shoot Carbon Express carbon arrows and Magnus Stinger 2 blade broadheads in 150 grains.

Lots of used bows on stickbow.com. I have bought several from that forum. I hear tradgang.com has a good selection of used bows but I do not frequent that site very much personally. I believe you have to pay to utilize their site but they do that to try to prevent scammers.

If you could find some other trad shooters in your area, that is the best way to learn in my opinion. Good luck sir.

Comment

X2 on 60 Deluxe post. I was also thinking a nice pre owned Howatt Hunter when reading your post. I shoot primarily Bob Lee's and I love my Howatt Hunter's. Both my Howatt's are used bows and are really fine shooters. You may even find a Bob Lee in your price range. I lucked into a new to me Bob Lee last year for $450.00. It is a fine bow.

I personally like to shoot Carbon Express carbon arrows and Magnus Stinger 2 blade broadheads in 150 grains.

Lots of used bows on stickbow.com. I have bought several from that forum. I hear tradgang.com has a good selection of used bows but I do not frequent that site very much personally. I believe you have to pay to utilize their site but they do that to try to prevent scammers.

If you could find some other trad shooters in your area, that is the best way to learn in my opinion. Good luck sir.

Comment

Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear has a huge selection of used bows . Very good and knowledgeable people!

Comment

Tradgang is a pay to play classified.
              ArcheryTalk has a separate classified for traditional gear. I've bought and sold a few bows there. You can easily look at the seller's ratings to see whom you can trust.

Gary

Comment

Btw what type of bow are you wanting? Longbow, recurve, length, draw weight?

Gary

Comment

You can find TONS of good used bows in that price range. And some nice new ones in that range as well, though used will have many more options. As far as arrows and broadheads, what you have been using may be just fine. I like GT trads and magnus stingers or zwicky eskimos, but there are a lot of good options out there. You might want to go woods, but I prefer carbons just for the durability.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X