No announcement yet.

Educate me- led shop lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are great. Let me know if you want to hint elk in SW Montana. Three miles from our gate gate to 2 block management ranches, 5 miles from the gate there’s more block management, BLM and National Forest. Wolves and mountain lions to deal with but officially no griz- but we know they’re there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 24x30 shop. I just changed out the florescent bulbs to the hyperkion 6K LED bulbs and they are so much brighter. Cant comment on longevity of the bulbs as its only been about 6 mos, but for the price and light it was worth it

Comment

Tag

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I put up 9 of these in my garage and they are super bright. Linkable, but I ran a box for each one and have a coverplate with a hole on a box for each one. Ran the wire in the hole and make the connection there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
            I put up 9 of these in my garage and they are super bright. Linkable, but I ran a box for each one and have a coverplate with a hole on a box for each one. Ran the wire in the hole and make the connection there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need sun glasses in there. 9 was overkill buddy. 4 would have done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I put 6 of these in my 36x48 barn. I also put 6 of the 2 light fixtures in my 3 car garage. They are a Texas based company and super quick with free https://www.primelights.com/products...ns-pl-blt66wcl

Comment

Ceiling height comes into play as much as the intensity of the lighting you choose.

So does reflective surfaces, it can amplify the perceived light (same as dark or dull surfaces can reduce it)

High bay lights are sold kind of willy- nilly online. Only a few show the recommended mounting height in the sales ad. That said - a bunch of them aren’t true high bay lights, it all depends on the optics and how well they distribute light.

High bay lights are for just that: high ceiling bays. There are Low bay lights, gotta look at that.

High bay lights have a narrower distribution pattern, so they spread evenly from a high ceiling. Put them in a low ceiling structure, and you’ll have uneven lighting, and dark or less bright spots.

The goal in a work space is even lighting, then whatever intensity is desired.

I put up 8’ strip lights in the shop at rhe Farm when we built it back in the 90’s. I retrofitted them last year to LED lamps, and removed the ballasts. So far, so good. Each strip uses 4 - 4’ lamps. Each is 1795 lumens at 5,000k color temp. There are 10 fixtures in a 40x40 space. 12’ eave height, about 14’ at the peak.

When I build my own shop, I will do a similar intensity pattern, and likely add 0-10v dimming and vacancy sensors.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

About four years ago I went to Lowe's, bought four or five, LED lights. They look like florescent light fixtures, but they are much brighter. I am not sure which ones they are, going by memory, I think they were about $52 each. I built a area for metal working, I set up both of my welders, mill and lathe within that area. I built a steel tubing frame to hang the lights from. Those lights turned out to be brighter than the four lights that have been in the shop, since before I moved in. Those lights are some large industrial light fixtures out of a large warehouse. I can turn on the LEDs, then turn off the large industrial lights, it's hard to tell I did anything. Those LEDs are bright, I don't remember what Lumen their rating is, but it must be pretty good. My electric bill went down noticeably, once I started replacing the old lights with LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    I went with these in my 30x50 pole barn because of the reviews on Amazon. My son and I did all the electrical plug wiring ourselves. All wired to 2 three way switches....and linkable. Easy peasy, affordable, they look nice and are crazy bright IMO.

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W=260W, 5000K Daylight, 4000 LM, Surface + Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Utility Light, Garage- Energy Star https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94M16B..._HW2UEbHC5S7QH

Thanks for the pic.

I'm needing lights for a 30x40 with 16' eaves and 14' to the bottom of the truss

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Thanks for the pic.

I'm needing lights for a 30x40 with 16' eaves and 14' to the bottom of the truss

Mine has a 4/12 roof pitch with a 16’ center and 12’ side walls.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        Mine has a 4/12 roof pitch with a 16’ center and 12’ side walls.
                        Are those the 5k?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I retro fit the ones the same size as my old 4 foot fluorescent tubes. They put out a lot of light. No noise and no heat. I don’t think you can go wrong with the new technology LED lighting.
                          I've been doing that at our company offices. It requires removing the ballast and some very easy rewiring inside the fixture. I'm not doing them all at once. I've stopped buying fluorescents and ballasts and am replacing with LEDs as things fail. We have over 60 fixtures to eventually convert over to LED and I've only done 8 so far. It's not too difficult or two expensive just doing on an as needed basis one office (4 fixtures) at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                            I've been doing that at our company offices. It requires removing the ballast and some very easy rewiring inside the fixture. I'm not doing them all at once. I've stopped buying fluorescents and ballasts and am replacing with LEDs as things fail. We have over 60 fixtures to eventually convert over to LED and I've only done 8 so far. It's not too difficult or two expensive just doing on an as needed basis one office (4 fixtures) at a time.

You know they have LED t8’s that go right into the fixtures, right? No rewire required.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              You know they have LED t8’s that go right into the fixtures, right? No rewire required.

Yes, but it's better in the long run to get rid of the ballasts. One less thing go out and the ballasts generate quite a bit of heat and use more electricity. The bulbs still plug in the same way and the rewiring is very simple. You don't necessarily even have to remove the ballasts, just wire around them. But I prefer to take them out completely and have more room in the fixture.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                Are those the 5k?

Yes, 5K which just represents the color tint. 5K is more natural daylight white light.
                                40W, 5000K, 4000 Lumen.

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W=260W, 5000K Daylight, 4000 LM, Surface + Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Utility Light, Garage- Energy Star https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94M16B..._.7uVEb8YJAD78

Comment

Working...
                                X