No announcement yet.

Deer Lease and Turkey Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to know why the OP thinks that someone shooting a turkey with a rifle has any influence on what he chooses to shoot them with ? Is there only one turkey on his lease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

bow or shotgun is safer , we tend to run and gun style in stead of blind hunting

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
        Maybe he meant "didn't knock any meat lose"

I quoted myself for the correction so I can answer that question..

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
          Wrong
          So when did it change?

Comment

Deer Lease and Turkey Hunters

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
            So when did it change?

Been that way for a good while for Rios. I remember confirming in 2010-2011 ish when I took a kid hunting and I brought my 17HMR in case one hung up too far for his 20 ga. I’m not sure how long ago it changed or if it was ever illegal honestly. Prior to that we had only used shotgun or bow only so never had to check..

Easterns are shotgun or bow/crossbow only iirc.
            Last edited by Smart; 04-22-2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Kinda screws up your spring turkey hunting...
              I don’t have a problem with them doing it but I want

Comment

.17 HMR works great on Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Been that way for a good while for Rios. I remember confirming in 2010-2011 ish when I took a kid hunting and I brought my 17HMR in case one hung up too far for his 20 ga. I’m not sure how long ago it changed or if it was ever illegal honestly. Prior to that we had only used shotgun or bow only so never had to check..

Easterns are shotgun or bow/crossbow only iirc.
                  I remember late 90's early 2000's it was illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                    Curious to see if anyone is on a lease that has rules surrounding turkey hunters. Our lease has 10 members, when I joined I was the only person that hunted turkeys in the spring so I thought I struck a gold mine. Fast forward to this year and everyone wants to shoot them with a deer rifle while "hog hunting". I know it is 100% legal, just not ethical IMO nor fair to the others that want to chase them in the traditional method. I'm hoping the "interest" in turkeys is due to them wanting to get out of the house, but who knows.

So does anyone's lease have rules that involve turkey hunting other than abide by state laws?
                    You don't have a leg to stand on in an argument about the ethics of killing a turkey with a rifle.

If you want to convert them from rifle hunters to shotgun/bow hunters take them out and get them close to gobbling birds. How many times do you think a strutting tom has to gobble in front of them at 20 yards before he is infected for life?

Comment

My son will shoot one out of the cabin window with a rifle if he is mad enough at them. I will have a talk with him about ethics when he wakes up. He is twelve and stayed up late last night. Should I speak with him about the hookers and blow first or go straight into the ethical failings of shooting a turkey with a rifle? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                        In My Opinion, it is not ethical. Each person has their own opinion. IMO it is not ethical because of meat loss and shooting them with a high caliber rifle. What is left after you shoot a turkey with a 30-06?
                        I have shot turkey or two with a rifle in my day and don't have any meat loss. I don't eat the head or neck. Not a .30-06, but a .30 with more oomph than an '06.

If you want to get on a lease that doesn't allow rifle hunting for turkeys, or secure an agreement from others not to use rifles, by all means use the power of contract to do so. As you noted, rifle hunting is legal in (parts of) Texas. If you search for a new lease at any point, just don't complain when you see landowners who don't like bowhunting because it is "unethical" due to lost animals. Dudes on you lease contracted for the access to hunt etc. and there is nothing unethical about them doing so.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          I have shot turkey or two with a rifle in my day and don't have any meat loss. I don't eat the head or neck. Not a .30-06, but a .30 with more oomph than an '06.

If you want to get on a lease that doesn't allow rifle hunting for turkeys, or secure an agreement from others not to use rifles, by all means use the power of contract to do so. As you noted, rifle hunting is legal in (parts of) Texas. If you search for a new lease at any point, just don't complain when you see landowners who don't like bowhunting because it is "unethical" due to lost animals. Dudes on you lease contracted for the access to hunt etc. and there is nothing unethical about them doing so.
                          Marshall Roster Cogburn about LaBeouf after he shoots a wild turkey with the gun and causes the meat to be severely damaged. Cogburn comments, "Too much gun"

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                            Marshall Roster Cogburn about LaBeouf after he shoots a wild turkey with the gun and causes the meat to be severely damaged. Cogburn comments, "Too much gun"
                            No such thing as too much gun. . . just poor shot placement.

Comment

I think "ethical" was too strong a word. I would say its not "sporting" to a true turkey hunter just like not shooting ducks which have landed or jump shooting them from a tank. Its legal but not sporting. It takes the fun out of the hunt imo.

If I were on a big lease where turkey hunting was popular I'd like to see no killing during the fall season and limit the number per member to what the flock numbers would support. Preferably no rifles for turkey.

Its not that big of a stretch imo. We have many leases which are bow only.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                                I think "ethical" was too strong a word. I would say its not "sporting" to a true turkey hunter just like not shooting ducks which have landed or jump shooting them from a tank. Its legal but not sporting. It takes the fun out of the hunt imo.

If I were on a big lease where turkey hunting was popular I'd like to see no killing during the fall season and limit the number per member to what the flock numbers would support. Preferably no rifles for turkey.

Its not that big of a stretch imo. We have many leases which are bow only.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                                Is jump shooting ducks from a tank unsportsmanlike? Depending on the terrain it can be harder to sneak up on a tank than it is calling them in.

Comment

Working...
                                X