No announcement yet.

Deer Lease and Turkey Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far I haven't lost any meat at all with a rifle !

Comment

Killing turkeys with rifles is the same as shooting deer under a feeder in my book.
      But hey, I'm not published nor have I sold any copies.

Go put in effort and earn your harvest.

Comment

While I am not really a turkey hunter I have called in a killed a few of them. I see nothing wrong with killing them with a rifle. I mean they paid the same money to hunt as you did. Why is your of hunting superior to how someone else chooses to do it? Who died and made you judge?

-john

Comment

Our lease has limit of birds per spot, but no limitation on means.
          If I had it to do over again, I would limit the spring hunting to shotguns with exception for kids. For those who want to kill pigs, carry both guns like I do.

I suspect more spring hunters than ever this year with no kid’s sports going on

I love to call turkeys. Or help other people hunt them.

FWIW. Never had a gobbler killed in the fall on our lease.
          12 years. No one cares to.

BP
          Last edited by Big pig; 04-21-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I support this message!!! [emoji2]

Comment

Maybe take a couple of them to hunt over decoys and show them how much fun it is.

Comment

We have 3200 acres (10 hunters). Everyone has their own spots that only they can hunt during deer season unless they give permission to other hunters to hunt their spots (Which this does happen now that everyone knows each other well). We do have some community stands as well. During "Turkey" season however, the whole ranch is fair game with shot gun or bow only. This is mainly just for safety reasons. That's just how we have it in our rules.

Comment

At the end of the day, they pay the same as you. Sucks for them because they’re not hunting them the fun way!

Comment

You are trying to make it an ethics issue, when it’s not. You are just mad that they are taking the easy way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I won't take a stance until I see BTB's midnight posting on this ethics question

Comment

We allow any legal means. At the end of the day, I tell the men it’s a deer lease not a bird lease. And yes, I have also killed with a shotgun and with a lighter caliber with no damage. It is just as tough with a rifle shooting neck or head shots as they are constantly moving.

Comment

Just go out and enjoy the woods. Don’t let it worry you what others are doing or how they are doing it.

Comment

Its just a stupid bird

Comment

Guess they killed a bird and you haven’t. I like calling them in but I do carry my 22-250 in the truck just in case.

Comment

I would put shooting doves out of the tree, and shooting turkeys out of the truck window in the same bucket.
                                I've done both, but its certainly taking the easy way out...

We have had really poor turkey hatches on our Shackelford Co place the last couple years. Can't figure out why - we should be a turkey paradise - but we don't have a huntable population this year

Maybe the deer stomped on all the eggs

Comment

Working...
                                X