No announcement yet.

2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a lead on a couple of super last minute lease openings north of Snow...if anyone is interested or knows someone that might be interested send me a pm

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
      Got a lead on a couple of super last minute lease openings north of Snow...if anyone is interested or knows someone that might be interested send me a pm
      Sent a PM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey gents! I’ve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. I’m shocked I didn’t see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been around. I’m more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. I’ll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
          Just south of Clayton and we have bear, lot of bear, so many bear they tear up what that don't crap on, but just like a lot of other places, they disappear after the acorns start to fall.
          Been hunting spring turkeys down there for the last 40 years. Have some good friends that live down there about 10 miles or so south of Clayton. He lives right by the turn you take that takes you up the mountain. Has the big horse arena out by the road. Love hunting that area. Just to far to drive every weekend of deer season. Really want to get down there & do some bear hunting. Just never seem to have the time.

Comment

Hey gents! I’ve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. I’m shocked I didn’t see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been around. I’m more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. I’ll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?

Looks like I am going to go Friday night and put out some handcorn and check a few cameras. Got a few new areas we are hunting and not sure what will be going on at them. Not planning to stay and hunt the first, I think I will save vacation days for cooler and closer to the rut. Acorns always seem to screw up the first few weeks (or longer) of season anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
              Looks like I am going to go Friday night and put out some handcorn and check a few cameras. Got a few new areas we are hunting and not sure what will be going on at them. Not planning to stay and hunt the first, I think I will save vacation days for cooler and closer to the rut. Acorns always seem to screw up the first few weeks (or longer) of season anyway.

Agree with this tactic. Let the girls start smelling right and we will see more daytime activity. My favorite time is late ML season to the first week of November.

Comment

Anyone bear hunting this season?

Comment

Originally posted by caseys95m3 View Post
                  Anyone bear hunting this season?
                  Another lease member and I have put out a stand for bears. Going to try it this year. Have been baiting weekly up there for the last 3 weeks. Headed up Sunday to restock the bait station, put another barrel out. Check all cameras and head home. Headed up next Wednesday to hunt through the weekend. Hopefully we get a bear or a deer on the ground.

Comment

Makes me want to be there Monday!🤷🏼*♂️

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
                      Makes me want to be there Monday!🤷🏼*♂️

That double main beam is special. Good luck getting on him.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	24555271

Name:	WGI_0004.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24555272

Name:	WGI_0005.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	24555273

Name:	WGI_0006.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	24555274

Got this guy making a scrape behind one of my stands next to a clover plot. Hoping to see him later this week when I get back up there. Nothing like the camera pull the day before season.

Had to go to this after he knocked it over the first 2 times with only concrete form stakes as anchors.

Dang bear tried again too!

Comment

Hi Everyone! First time posting on this thread ... thought ide join in on the fun!! Guess ill start out by giving you a little background on myself. Grew up in Virginia hunting big timber bucks but not mtns. Currently I'm 26 yrs young. Killed a cpl nice ones over the yrs while growing up there. When I was 11 I was invited to hunt in north Texas clay county specifically. Lots of acres around it not hunted. 16k acres and 22k acres on the other side. Shot about 12 bucks since then ranging from 130-155 inches.

I eventually moved to Texas and have currently been living in the valley ranch area for around 5 yrs. Ive enjoyed my hunting in Texas but honestly its just not the same as being in big timber and its gotten to the point I've lost interest in the Texas rifle hunting. Sitting in a bling with all the comforts you can imagine isn't really hunting its more like killing. It literally got to the point If I can see the deer with binos I can shoot it. Along with these reasons as well as the other long term members I hunted with out there for close to 15yrs expanding there family and basically taking over the entire lease making rules where I can and can't hunt and wanting to hunt my locations I invest time and money but not okay to hunt anywhere else(I bought, ran, and filled all 7 feeders on the lease and maintained all the blinds as they didn't have time). Also, they didn't want me bowhunting anymore as they believe it was unfair since they don't want to bow hunt. Really I think its fear of shooting a big buck lol! Anyways rant over!

For these reasons I started looking for a last minute bow lease in se Oklahoma this year to get back to my childhood roots and get back to playing chess with big bucks in big timber. I've always heard about pushmataha ok and I have seen the quality genetics this county can produce and honestly much bigger than any north Texas buck ive seen that typically cap out around 140 with most much smaller and the occasional bigger one.(not that anything is wrong with a 140 inch deer lol). I also liked the idea of being able to hunt in the mtns and the challenge it poses. So long story short I secured 160 acres in push co about 20 minutes NE of antlers on a creek. I payed for the lease sight unseen. Little did I know how challenging and rugged this terrain is once actually taking a look at the property. I couldnt believe how steep, thick, and rocky the property is. Its been a real challenge trying to learn the property and where the deer travel. Property has a creek running right through it and some bottom land on either side before going straight up with multiple nice benches etc. Lots of rocks oh and lots of snakes!! I've had a camera out for 3 weeks on the top of the ridge with only two does coming in everyday not the very first buck. I'm now learning these bucks don't come to these easily accessible areas at all. Im assuming this is normal?

I picked a cpl last minute stand locations on Sunday hand fed some feed and put out three more cameras at lower elevation and hard to access areas and low and behold I got my first buck pic this evening when I pulled the card after getting skunked on new stand location. (not surprised being so last minute). ill post picture once I figure out how to do that. Everytime I try it says upload failed. Love to share photo as this 3 yr old has a lot of potential. Just needs one more year.

I wanted to thank you all for this thread its amazing and honestly reading through the old ones from years past has helped educate me immensely and speed up my learning process(I still have a long way to go). It also helped me learn about the county and the types of other guys I may get to know from Texas that hunt the area.

Anyone else hunt today? All I saw were two does all day. Ill be up here trying to learn till Thursday before returning to real world(hopefully only temporarily). Im staying at budget inn at antlers. Was curious if other tbh members ever stay here. Unfortunately my place is too rugged and steep for a camper. Sorry for long post and look forward to getting to know everyone! Good luck to anyone else who may be hunting tomorrow!
                          Best,
                          Max
                          Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-02-2018, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Two of us are headed up there tomorrow, if you are staying in Antlers you must be hunting not too far from where we are. We are 15 minutes east of Antler's. Both of us are focused on bear hunting this weekend, not saying that I wouldn't shoot a deer if I saw one.

Good luck!

Comment

mtnbucks, i was hunting for a paragraph, hoping you have better luck than me. hahaa looking forward to pics! lots and lots of pics!

Comment

Yea the deer movement seems to be mostly at night unfortunately! Im not too far from antlers about 20 minutes North. Ide be interested in trying the bear hunting I've never done it before. Maybe next year as this year was so last minute . The guys that leased property before me apparently only hunted like 3 times in 3 yrs(who knows if thats true) story is they own a bunch of companies and had no time. but they had left a camera out there and abandoned it basically ... cool thing was it had been taking pics for like 8 months, had big bear on it 8/22 ill try to post pic. made me want to get a license . Good luck tom! Hope you get into them! I better get to sleep or I won't want to wake up!

Comment

Working...
                                X