X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Dave's Chorizo

Chorizo Recipe for 10 lbs

Meat: 70/30, 7 pounds Wild Game, 3 pounds Bacon or Bacon ends
    (you can go 80/20 or 90/10 if you want, but it gets dry with less fat)

8 teaspoons hot ground pepper (I use cayenne)
    10 teaspoons granulated garlic (or 10 fresh cloves)
    2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoon medium grind fresh black pepper
    4 tablespoons paprika
    4 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
    2 cups cider vinegar, very cold or chilled with ice
    2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper

Grind the meat and bacon together
    Combine all the dry spices in a 1 small container and mix them the 1 cup of very cold cider vinegar.
    Pour the spice and vinegar combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
    Either stuff into casings or make into bulk packages.
    If you stuff the sausage, it is best to let it hang (if possible) in a cooler or refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours to dry.

Sounds great.

Comment

Going to try this for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Please don't take this wrong. Are we talking Mexican style chorizo? Like Peytons?

Hillshire Farms came out with some a few yrs in links and it was different.

If its Mexican style, like scrambling with eggs I love the stuff. Not being a smart elec. If its the one I like I would try it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
          Please don't take this wrong. Are we talking Mexican style chorizo? Like Peytons?

If its Mexican style, like scrambling with eggs I love the stuff. Not being a smart elec. If its the one I like I would try it.
          You will never know if you will like it unless you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post

That's all I do with this is scramble with eggs. I don't ever stuff it into links, but a person could if they wanted. Might be good on a hotdog bun.

I divide it up into 1lb portions and freeze it.
            1lb and 10 or 12 eggs and you got some breakfast. Get out the tortillas!!!

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by DirtyDave; 11-05-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I didn't know there was any other kind of chorizo besides the Mexican kind lol

Comment

That's sounds good, I love me some chorizo and eggs. Is it greasy like the store bought chorizo?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                  That's sounds good, I love me some chorizo and eggs. Is it greasy like the store bought chorizo?
                  Not as greasy as store bought

Comment

Sounds good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                      I didn't know there was any other kind of chorizo besides the Mexican kind lol

Wal Mart carried this stuff several yrs ago. I tried taking the condom off and frying it with eggs. Not good. Thats why I asked. Sorry just needed clarification.

Comment

Made some tonight out of wild hog and bacon ends. Doubled the recipe. Man it came out good not near as greasy as store bought. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                          Made some tonight out of wild hog and bacon ends. Doubled the recipe. Man it came out good not near as greasy as store bought. Thanks for sharing.
                          Right on bud

Comment

Sound real good.

Comment

Have a questions on this recipe. ingredient list says 2 cups very cold cider vinegar. But the directions say mix spices with 1 cup vinegar. Could someone clarify please. I would love to make this as I have some left over ground venison.

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                              Chorizo Recipe for 10 lbs

Meat: 70/30, 7 pounds Wild Game, 3 pounds Bacon or Bacon ends
                              (you can go 80/20 or 90/10 if you want, but it gets dry with less fat)

8 teaspoons hot ground pepper (I use cayenne)
                              10 teaspoons granulated garlic (or 10 fresh cloves)
                              2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
                              4 tablespoons chili powder
                              2 teaspoon medium grind fresh black pepper
                              4 tablespoons paprika
                              4 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
                              2 cups cider vinegar, very cold or chilled with ice
                              2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper

Grind the meat and bacon together
                              Combine all the dry spices in a 1 small container and mix them the 1 cup of very cold cider vinegar.
                              Pour the spice and vinegar combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
                              Either stuff into casings or make into bulk packages.
                              If you stuff the sausage, it is best to let it hang (if possible) in a cooler or refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours to dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X