Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Just posted this update on my farm thread but for those of you that don't go there you may find this review interesting.
    https://youtu.be/Yg3bSD0yCYE
    Watched it earlier this evening and been following your channel. What you are doing is fascinating!

Comment

El Gato I watched your vid. Looked at my seed mix from turner and it didn't contain vetch so ordered some to try out. My place is just south east of dallas. Wonder if it is too late to plant it for the summer.I might plant a couple small low spots just to see how the deer treat it.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        El Gato I watched your vid. Looked at my seed mix from turner and it didn't contain vetch so ordered some to try out. My place is just south east of dallas. Wonder if it is too late to plant it for the summer.I might plant a couple small low spots just to see how the deer treat it.
        Raining here today but my plan is to plant about another 30 lbs of vetch as soon as I can. Vetch is slow to germinate but will do ok even with a planting this late.Are you mixing the vetch with anything?

Comment

Raining here today but my plan is to plant about another 30 lbs of vetch as soon as I can. Vetch is slow to germinate but will do ok even with a planting this late.Are you mixing the vetch with anything?
          Elgato, how do you keep your Red Clover growing this time of year? When the temps hit 90degrees all of it died. We have had ample rainfall. Your Red Clover looked awesome, mine has been dead for a couple of weeks.

Another question is, how do you get plots to grow in Red Clay? I have a red clay ridge that I plant and I really have a difficult time establishing plots on it. Any suggestions on these 2 questions will be appreciated.

Thanx Calvin
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 06-06-2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I’ve already planted all my other plots several weeks ago so prob not but after seeing your video and then reading up on it I figured I’d try it out. I have a couple low spots that didn’t grow good because it was too wet so I’ll probably drop it there. Just a couple small areas and then plant some again late summer and into fall.

Comment

House plot is looking good. Up almost 18”s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

they are tearing the iron clay peas up on our place in east tx

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Elgato, how do you keep your Red Clover growing this time of year? When the temps hit 90degrees all of it died. We have had ample rainfall. Your Red Clover looked awesome, mine has been dead for a couple of weeks.

Another question is, how do you get plots to grow in Red Clay? I have a red clay ridge that I plant and I really have a difficult time establishing plots on it. Any suggestions on these 2 questions will be appreciated.

Thanx Calvin
                  I don't know what the problem is with your red clover.Do you remember what specie you planted? I used Southern Bell red clover.

Red clay can be difficult. When its dry its hard to get anything to grow. However , at least in the red clay I have when moisture present things grow well. I call my red clay field my science project trying to loosen it up and make soil more crumbly. Difficult. As you know I never till, always drill into thatch, and try to hit the moisture perfectly. Thats my best suggestion.

Comment

I’ve already planted all my other plots several weeks ago so prob not but after seeing your video and then reading up on it I figured I’d try it out. I have a couple low spots that didn’t grow good because it was too wet so I’ll probably drop it there. Just a couple small areas and then plant some again late summer and into fall.
                    Good luck, let us know your results.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is with your red clover.Do you remember what specie you planted? I used Southern Bell red clover.

Red clay can be difficult. When its dry its hard to get anything to grow. However , at least in the red clay I have when moisture present things grow well. I call my red clay field my science project trying to loosen it up and make soil more crumbly. Difficult. As you know I never till, always drill into thatch, and try to hit the moisture perfectly. Thats my best suggestion.
                      I am assuming you use a no till drill?

Comment

I am assuming you use a no till drill?
                        I posted this video earlier on my thread so apologies for the redundancy but it explains my approach to planting including using a no till drill

Comment

Planted some Berseem clover and mixed in some Red Clover, variety I do not remember. I usually don't plant clover so Im not up on all the appropriate knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Planted some Berseem clover and mixed in some Red Clover, variety I do not remember. I usually don't plant clover so Im not up on all the appropriate knowledge.
                            Berseem is done by now. It lasts a little longer than crimson but is over by early summer. I wonder if what you are calling red clover was actually crimson and if so it supposed to be done. If not...I don't know.

Comment

IC peas are looking pretty good as is most of my milo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

House plot is looking good. Up almost 18”s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Are you putting any fertilizer or lime down?

Comment

Working...
                                X