The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
    For the back country and wilderness areas, I am interested in going in and camping rather than going back and forth to my truck each evening. I don't know if that is a good strategy for a first timer, but if I am going to find the elk, I don't want to leave them to get back to my truck. So I'm guessing I need a bivy type pack. I don't even know what that consists of. Is there an essential gear list somewhere that could help me out? What strategies as far as going into an area will help out a beginner? I know to stay away from roads and trails that anyone can get to. I have gathered that, and I know obviously to venture further into an area than the other hunters, but other than that, I'm lost. Should I be going back to my truck each evening to camp? If I camp out somewhere away from my truck and I kill an elk, that is gonna be some really, really long packs to get the meat out. What is everyone's experience with this scenario? I think I'm gonna mainly try wilderness area because it seems that these places offer chances at elk with minimal pressure from "the crowd."
    Thatta boy!!! Man after my own heart! Do you get closer phobic (sp) at all? If not, buy a good bivy sack that is waterproof and a good bag rated to 15 degrees or lower, depending on if you get cold easy or not. Get a lightweight tarp to put over it and protect you gear and you are good. If not, buy a good three season two man tent. Buy a sleeping pad, foam or inflatable. Cook stove, water container, meat bags, 550 cord, knives, safety gear, fire starter, rain gear, map compass ( know how to use them) and gps if you want to. Good clothing, wool socks, good boots, some glass if you hunt open country, and lots of enthusiasm. Sure that others have a full list, these are just the basics.

Comment

TWP...another buddy has a z65 and it's a neat pack and it'll do everything you need except haul really heavy loads and if I were you I'd be looking at a different pack too. If you've got the coin you can't go wrong with either MR or Kifaru. Personally I would get a Timberline 2 instead of a KU5200...I would be scared to poke a hole in that tarp material.

Marshrat...The general rule in finding Elk is to look for High North facing timbered slopes and thick creek drainages. In Wilderness areas Elk will be at timberline feeding early/late and dip into timber during the day.

Comment

Yeah, I keep an old school Kelty for the quarters, and just haul out the goodies with the Gregory. Only got to do it once since I bought it though. Going to look hard at the MR 6500, just because I've got a buddy who loves his, and I plan on doing a ewe sheep in in next 3-4 years. How is the fabric on the Icon?

Marsh, none of this higher end stuff is a have to get gear. Tons of critters killed with 10 year old bows, Alice packs from army surplus store, and old fatigues or sweat shirts. Just depends on how tough you are!

Comment

I've got the Longhunter and will have the Timberline 2 in two months so if anyone is interested in a test drive in the Angelo area I'd be more than willing. I chose the T2 over the UL series for the very reason drthornton stated...I know I'd poke a hole in it climbing over blowdowns; I've been know to lose my balance a time or two as well.

Also don't discount hunting near unit boundary lines; folks tend to stay well away of those and if the terrain is right the elk will go where people are not. Just make sure you know where you are and know how to use a map, compass, and GPS.

If your new to backpack hunting my advice is to weigh everything; you'll be suprised how fast your "essentials" will increase pack weight. Then things become not so essential! A good rule of thumb is to carry no more than 40% of your ideal bodyweight...not what you weigh after Christmas

Comment

One thing I have noticed is that no matter how well you're prepared physically, going from 100' to 10K'+ is something your lungs and muscles will take note of...especially if it's below zero and you're forced to put on clothes with some weight to them.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              Yeah, I keep an old school Kelty for the quarters, and just haul out the goodies with the Gregory. Only got to do it once since I bought it though. Going to look hard at the MR 6500, just because I've got a buddy who loves his, and I plan on doing a ewe sheep in in next 3-4 years. How is the fabric on the Icon?

Marsh, none of this higher end stuff is a have to get gear. Tons of critters killed with 10 year old bows, Alice packs from army surplus store, and old fatigues or sweat shirts. Just depends on how tough you are!
              TWP is right; you don't need all this high end stuff to start out. Matter of fact you probably never "need" it, but I consider the gear as my whiskey bottles. My wife accuses me of being a gear whore and I'm not denying it. Whatever you do, just test it out before relying on it in the mountains. That may mean just using it in your backyard, which I've done with sleeping bags on chilly nights to see how they work out. Last, you can get a steal on many items slightly used on the various backpacking/hunting forums.

Comment

I just use a osprey aether 70. Not much money into it at all. It is lightweight and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  TWP...another buddy has a z65 and it's a neat pack and it'll do everything you need except haul really heavy loads and if I were you I'd be looking at a different pack too. If you've got the coin you can't go wrong with either MR or Kifaru. Personally I would get a Timberline 2 instead of a KU5200...I would be scared to poke a hole in that tarp material.

Marshrat...The general rule in finding Elk is to look for High North facing timbered slopes and thick creek drainages. In Wilderness areas Elk will be at timberline feeding early/late and dip into timber during the day.
                  For the directionally and instructionally challenged, could you clarify "high north facing timbered slopes?"

Comment

TWP... Fabric on the ICON is quite sturdy. I am not a bit concerned it is gonna handle more than I can throw at it. It has plenty of volume, plenty of pockets and adjustable to fit my long torso. Also note that I got the Major Brown and it looks more like dark army green in person. One of my biggest criteria was a pack I could use as a day pack once I set "Spike". The KUIU pack does it in spades. From what I have read 80#s in the high end of comfort on this pack and that suits me fine.

To TGW's points about gear....There is so much crap you think you need but you really don't when you put your stuff together. Places you can really shave weight are in your sleep system, food and clothes. The Sleep System may cost you a little. Find a tent and bag/pad that is as light as your budget allows. Most folks starting out take too much food, good rule of thumb is to keep your calories at 100calories+/ounce. Everyone starting out takes too many clothes. You need 1 set of quality clothes, a good base layer, 2 pair of underwear, 2 pair of merino socks, a vest, stocking cap and rain gear...maybe a primaloft or down jacket for Sept Elk hunting. It's really hard for us TX boys to pack what is essential instead of what is possible.

I am with TGW...Hunting is where my personal expendable income goes so spending $ on high dollar stuff I only use for a couple weeks a year is just something I do. Never skimp on footwear/socks though.

Comment

For the directionally and instructionally challenged, could you clarify "high north facing timbered slopes?"
                      Marsh, it is the slope that will be facing north, it will also almost ALWAYS have more veggatation on it as well. You will most def see what we mean once you get up there. The north facing slopes in some areas only get limited sunlight vs the southside, more veggies equal more elk and more elk cover. An example is usually a north facing bar ditch will hold snow for several more days longer than a south facing bar ditch, the south gets more sunlight and more melting. (best way I can describe it for us flatlanders)

The Colorado game and fish has a really cool interactive map that you can overlay summer, fall, and winter elk concentrations. Find an OTC game unit, turn on the overlay, find the areas with the largest concentrations of elk, then find north facing slopes as far away as you can from roads. This will be your starting point. Then zoom in on areas via Bing Maps or Google earth and find streams, lakes, or even meadows in these areas. These will be your first places to check out. Then find a couple Gosh awful green areas with big elevation changes (run your mouse over areas in Google Earth to see elevation changes) and those are your "he!! hole" canyons that elk will get into if there is a bunch of pressure. These are not for the faint of heart or the weak minded. But you can get some big boys out of these areas.

Comment

Thanks TWP. Makes a little more sense now. Should i just be looking for concentration numbers? Am i just picking any unit to begin or am i looking for something in the unit in particular? What should I do about calling? Any call recommendations that I can get and start practicing now? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Just thought of another one. Am I able to bow hunt at all for CO elk in November? That may be the only time that I can go. I just don't know that I can get up there in September because of school. I've probably asked that a lot but I guess I'm holding out for a good answer. Again sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Yes you can bow hunt in NOV but you'll be doing it with a any weapon(rifle) tag, other rifle hunters and in the snow...maybe lots of it. Now, I'm sure this can be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it in CO. I understand your delima...my wife is a teacher.

I know there are archery hunts in New Mexico in Dec but you've got to realize that archery hunting Elk out of the rut takes an already difficult task to an enormous task.

If you are hell bent on hunting Elk and have to do it in Nov I would consider dropping your bow and picking up a rifle. Rifle hunting Elk is no easy task either!

Comment

If you like gosh awful cold and coming to a gun fight with a knife. If you are going to hunt in the snow with a bow, I suggest a rut mule deer hunt. IMO

Comment

Thanks TWP. Makes a little more sense now. Should i just be looking for concentration numbers? Am i just picking any unit to begin or am i looking for something in the unit in particular? What should I do about calling? Any call recommendations that I can get and start practicing now? Sorry for all the questions.
                                Google Elk Nuts and get his play book and hunting videos. They give you the how and why of calling and what the elk are saying to each other. You don't have to call, and if you call wrong, it can be worse than no calling at all. I am a horrible caller and do better when I go in silent or set up silently around wallows or meadows.

Comment

Working...
                                X