Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife & I disagree deer in ice chest ...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
    Stubborn is a hard thing to deal with.
    You don't know the half of it

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
      Would you put it in your Crown & Coke ?
      Any deer I put on ice, I wouldn't put the ice in a drink. nice try...

Comment

It’s just ice how in the hades can it “go bad”
        Throw it in the back of the truck and haul azz.
        Gosh we got a lot of softies on here!

Comment

guess my real question is...what bacteria growth would there be in an ice chest full of ice ???

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            ok folks...I concede...I'll dump the ice in morning and clean it before leaving
            Whoooooa, slow your roll there partner. You have not killed anything yet. Put your beer on the remaining ice tomorrow. Just because some spouses keep their set in their wife’s purse doesn’t mean you need to follow along. If you do kill a deer, just tell her you replaced all the ice. How in the hell will she know any different?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Heck. She will never know- Just go and never mention it. But it will be fine. The temp itself keeps bacteria from growing.

Not true, it slows the growth. Remember Blue Bell and listeria. Guess what, ice cream factories are kept pretty cold too,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd vote new ice in case any bacteria got lose in there.

This is another case for the meat doesn't touch the ice method.

I've used the bleed out with drain open method for the last ~30 years.

This year in camp I went with the meat doesn't touch the deer option after helping a guy quarter up a buck and put the meat in new garbage bags.
                I asked why?
                A. he worked for a processor in high school and preferred the meat that hadn't been bled out.
                I gave it a shot the next day on the one I put on ice.

The remaining ice in the cooler after dropping meat off was nice and clean.

Maybe that's the cheap answer- use your ice that's left over & bag the meat to make sure no cootie cross contamination from previous deer.
                Last edited by DaveC; 12-01-2022, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Response is…why’d you ask? Pretty obvious you’re gonna stick to your original plan.

Whoa…edit edit edit. Maybe not after all!! .

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                    Would you put it in your Crown & Coke ?
                    1st drink or 9th? Hell yes I would. At least the clear ice on top, wouldn’t read into the bloody stuff on the bottom, that’s just crazy.

Comment

Any germs that are in there will grow way slower on ice. There might be E. Coli from a deers' digestive system.

The only risk would be spreading contamination on your hands or using it for food that wasn't going to be cooked before eating.

I would put another deer in it, but not my beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        no, that was from her.
                        But she didn't ask us, you did. If you knew for sure youd've just told her there's nothing wrong with it and why.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

as I expected...answers are ARE OVER THE BOARD.

I'll deal with it in the morning. Probably gonna put some rock salt in it to lower the tempature and add ice and rock on

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                            I'd vote new ice in case any bacteria got lose in there.

This is another case for the meat doesn't touch the ice method.

I've used the bleed out with drain open method for the last ~30 years.

This year in camp I went with the meat doesn't touch the deer option after helping a guy quarter up a buck and put the meat in new garbage bags.
                            I asked why?
                            A. he worked for a processor in high school and preferred the meat that hadn't been bled out.
                            I gave it a shot the next day on the one I put on ice.

The remaining ice in the cooler after dropping meat off was nice and clean.

Maybe that's the cheap answer- use your ice that's left over & bag the meat to make sure no cootie cross contamination from previous deer.

How exactly does that work - the meat will bleed out into the bags they’re in until it is completely cooled. Do you drain the “meat bags” periodically?

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                              Any germs that are in there will grow way slower on ice. There might be E. Coli from a deers' digestive system.

The only risk would be spreading contamination on your hands or using it for food that wasn't going to be cooked before eating.

I would put another deer in it, but not my beers.
                              pretty sure there is not any digestive system in my ice chest.

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using the old ice. I'm just saying I don't know for sure that there isn't, hence, the risk. For the cost of ice, I'd remove that risk, no matter how small it may be.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X