Hunting aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting aoudad

Over the thanksgiving week I shot at and missed a big aoudad on my lease. Shot was somewhere between 3-400 yard off sticks on my knees. Anyway I can’t stop thinking about these animals. I have wanted to kill one for a long time just never had the opportunity until now. I’m going to break out the magnum rifle and change to a bit heavier bullet more suited for these animals.

Is there any way to attract these things? We run a bunch of feeders on this property and have never had one on camera. The 3 I saw were actually 300 yards from the feeder I was hunting.

Walking and glassing canyons can take hours and get very little results especially when trying to cover 13k acres.

Any pointers would be appreciated. There has only been 3 killed in the past 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt them the right way, not over a feeder. Glassing up a big Aoudad and closing the distance to take him off sticks is one of the finest joys in life.

Get on a good vantage point and glass, locate the herd and form a stalk. Its been my experience if you can get on top of them you can get much closer than if they are above you....I've stalked to within 50 yards of a herd before by coming down on top of them while they were feeding in a flat.

X2 on the magnum rifle and if they are still standing keep shooting

Comment

Salt blocks are the ticket. Create a mineral site away from your feeder. Once they find the mineral, they will always be back for it. Put it on top of a canyon where maybe two canyons merge together. You don't really want them to find your feeders. Once they do you might which they didn't. They can become very destructive on feeders. They will bash them trying to get the corn or protein out of them unless you have a good 4 leg feeder that can hold up. Plus, once the herd finds your feeders they might take over. Alfalfa always worked great also. If you're looking for a big ram. Glass the steepest and deepest canyons you have. They love steep jagged terrain. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        Hunt them the right way, not over a feeder. Glassing up a big Aoudad and closing the distance to take him off sticks is one of the finest joys in life.

Get on a good vantage point and glass, locate the herd and form a stalk. Its been my experience if you can get on top of them you can get much closer than if they are above you....I've stalked to within 50 yards of a herd before by coming down on top of them while they were feeding in a flat.

X2 on the magnum rifle and if they are still standing keep shooting

I figured out just how good they can see when I was trying to sneak up to them.

The big one I saw is probably 32” ram. Awesome critter and can’t wait to get another shot at one.

Comment

Yes on the alfalfa and also get a bag of 3/8" range cubes. Just hope you don't have to pack it in too far. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            I figured out just how good they can see when I was trying to sneak up to them.

The big one I saw is probably 32” ram. Awesome critter and can’t wait to get another shot at one.

I’ve had a herd spot me from 1500 yards away and take off.

Looking at them thru a spotting scope, they were looking at me. After a min or two they hauled arse over the ridge.

Great game animal to hunt

Comment

Just keep glassing, alot of times just tough to see. And practice more at long distance, you we get you one.

Comment

X2 on the salt block and alfalfa and protein. Keep them away from your feeders unless you like replacing them every year.

Comment

What’s the water source situation on the ranch you hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
                    What’s the water source situation on the ranch you hunt?

Windmills with tanks and water troughs Ian. 10 water sites on this ranch.

Comment

Glass, glass, glass. Wind in your face, and try to get between them and where they want to be. You could try putting some cameras up at water sources and see if you can pattern them, but they probably drink from small pools in the canyons that you don’t even know exist. Super fun to hunt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

That’s a water source for every 1,300 acres depending on how it’s actually laid out obviously, but water sources can be an awesome way to shoot big mature rams. Especially in the summertime. It’s One of the best tactics when bow hunting them, or at least what I’ve had the most success with in the past. If you’re dead set on a rifle, I would start glassing the hills around these sites first and fan out from there. Should help you cut down on having to cover so much ground with glass.

Comment

Best time to hunt them is January through March. They are much easier to spot when the trees are without leaves. Their eyesight is amazing. We had fantastic luck over bearded wheat hay bales in a hay feeder. They are always on the move, so if you get them on camera they may of may not be back. If you can find an area they like to move through stick a hay feeder in their way. Great Ben enough time you will beat one. They are my favorite big game to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
                            That’s a water source for every 1,300 acres depending on how it’s actually laid out obviously, but water sources can be an awesome way to shoot big mature rams. Especially in the summertime. It’s One of the best tactics when bow hunting them, or at least what I’ve had the most success with in the past. If you’re dead set on a rifle, I would start glassing the hills around these sites first and fan out from there. Should help you cut down on having to cover so much ground with glass.

I’m going with the rifle to start with mainly cause I want one so bad.

If i could pattern them I would try with a bow.

Comment

Every time I put out alfalfa cubes, the aoudad seem to show up for me. Mummies in Hondo carries the cubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X