Richland WMA Draw Hunt 2019 - Live Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We gave them hell for the time we had

Drew 13 which was 25min ride around the road to get in the back gate with 2 other groups

Then my stand was a little over 2mile 4 wheeler ride and another .35mi walk
    Saw deer every sit, just not the caliber that we were there for

I don’t know the final count, but last I heard was 9 bucks killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really surprised at the lack of big buck harvests there this year after what I saw scouting it last year for the archery hunt that ended up getting cancelled becasue of the flood.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Really surprised at the lack of big buck harvests there this year after what I saw scouting it last year for the archery hunt that ended up getting cancelled becasue of the flood.

Out of the 9, one was a 13” youngster

One was 3.5 and the rest were 5.5+ as far as I know

The few I did see in person I would not have guessed were older deer based on antler size

Maybe they have been eating something that is tough on their teeth (pea gravel ) but I feel confident the staff there have all been around long enough to age them as accurately as anyone

The floods really hurt the population from what I was told. 1:32 deer density currently and I think they said it was around 1:12

The deer we saw were all healthy and slick looking

Kevin maybe we will meet someday

Congrats on the buck

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

One was 3.5 and the rest were 5.5+ as far as I know

The few I did see in person I would not have guessed were older deer based on antler size

Maybe they have been eating something that is tough on their teeth (pea gravel ) but I feel confident the staff there have all been around long enough to age them as accurately as anyone

The floods really hurt the population from what I was told. 1:32 deer density currently and I think they said it was around 1:12

The deer we saw were all healthy and slick looking

Congrats on the buck

Eh... I don't know about that, we shot a buck on a youth hunt at a state park last year that looked 3.5+ all day long and the biologist aged it @ 2.5. Just out of curiousity I sent the incisors in for cementum aging and results came back he was 4.5 years old... so theres that

Comment

Just curious what they said happened, they drown or just get wacked when pushed on the private ground?

Comment

“One was 3.5”

Congrats on the buck

Thanks Man! Mine was the 3.5 y/o but I’m still happy with him. That was my first public land buck. Yeah I think we never crossed paths because it too you a lot of extra miles to get back to HQ! I was driving a couple minutes. Overall it was still a good hunt. It was much better than the Kerr WMA Hunt 2 years back. On that hunt I only saw 1 buck the entire time and only a few bucks killed all week.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                Just curious what they said happened, they drown or just get wacked when pushed on the private ground?
                Young deer drowned and older deer drowned and got whacked.

Comment

I personally saw a 6.5 y/o 10 pt that was brought in that went 110. He had great mass but his tine length was lacking. At that time I asked what the biggest deer was and he was a 7.5 that went 115.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    I personally saw a 6.5 y/o 10 pt that was brought in that went 110. He had great mass but his tine length was lacking. At that time I asked what the biggest deer was and he was a 7.5 that went 115.
                    No telling how many "mature" bucks I passed due to going by antler size and not paying much attention to body
                    They had me looking for one of the ones the size of those they had in orientation

bossbowman, like Kevin said. June floods drowned the fawns and fall floods pushed deer onto property outside the WMA
                    They had a nice euro of one they found in a drift after a flood they said got trapped and drowned

There were lots of places where the water mark on the trees was about 6' in our compartment

Comment

Thats a shame its in a down cycle again it looked fan freaking tastic last fall before the floods. It will trend back up again eventually, always does.

Comment

Nice stand. We always had to pack in our pop up blinds on the hunts we were drawn for. Is that a permanent stand in one of the compartments?

Comment

This might be the only one on the place. A guy shot a deer and left from this compartment and we were allowed to hunt it adjacent to ours. Most of our hunting was from pop ups, climbers and ground brush.

Comment

Congrats on the success and getting to hunt with your dad.

Comment

This might be the only one on the place. A guy shot a deer and left from this compartment and we were allowed to hunt it adjacent to ours. Most of our hunting was from pop ups, climbers and ground brush.
                              I think at one time there were 3 of them

Comment

Yeah I know were that is in comp. 3, was surprised to still see it there after the floods last year it was pretty rusty from the previous floods.

Comment

Working...
                                X