• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Good deal.

Comment

5 does out feeding

Comment

Quick update. Had a 3.5 y/o 8 come in at last light and then a 4.5+ 6 pt. Dad was going to try and shoot the 6 but didn’t work out. They are just moving across the cut area and you have to get lucky to spot them, judge them, aim and then shoot before they hit the other side and disappear.

I’m back home tonight but Dad and Larry are hunting one more time in the morning. This weather change got them moving so hoping for a big one to hit the dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            Back at it. Been in the chair blind since 5:45. At 7:10 I realized I needed to move it for better views. Got it moved and was stepping in and a doe came out at 100 yards. Watched her and the pipeline for a minute and she disappeared.

Finishing getting set up and a buck runs through. I get set up and just wait and he comes back out on a steady walk. I can finally tell he is outside his ears and legal and pull the trigger... click. Bullets in my gun but not the chamber since I rode my bike in this morning. By the time I chambered a round he walked back into the brush.

At least it wasnt a HUGE buck lol
            Still pretty frustrating. Ive seen 4 bucks this morning - mostly smaller.

Continuing the story...

After the incident above, I waited about 30 minutes but had to get out of the stand to take care of some urgent business. Once I finished, I stood up and deer snort from both sides of the pipeline. “Perfect” I thought as I saw one doe run tail flagging away from me. I headed back to the stand and got settled in. A bit later I caught movement and it looked like the buck I saw earlier. Gun up, confirmed he was outside his ears, and then shot as soon as he stopped. At that point he was only 6 feet from being back in the brush. Shot felt good but he didn’t drop. By the time I recovered from the shot, I could see him bound off into the thick stuff boarding the pipeline. Hrmm...

Since I didn’t see him drop, I decided to wait 30 minutes before looking. At the 20 min mark it started raining HARD. Got out of the blind and walked to where I thought I shot and didn’t see anything.

Walked back the blind and picked out the “no closer than this” and “no further than this” points for the shot and then walked back over. Because distance is hard to judge from a flat landscape of a rolling pipeline, he was somewhere between 125 and 200 yards away.

Walked back again as it was now raining harder and still didn’t see anything. I then see a buck walk across the pipeline again and think “oh crap, was that him!?! “ At that point i called for reinforcements. A bit later I see my Dad rolling up in the truck and I wait and give him the story of what happened.

He starts at the 125 yard mark and starts looking for fresh tracks or blood. I start walking down the pipeline looking for anything like blood or tracks. I’m praying at this point! I hate missing but I hate wounding even worse but I keep thinking “it felt like a good shot!”

About 160 yards out I notice a larger and fresh track moving in the right direction. I just decided to follow that trail in and walk 59 yards inside and see something white. BUCK!!!!!

I couldn’t believe how it worked out. In the end it wasn’t the monster I thought he was, but he is my first public land buck and the first deer I’ve killed on a TPWD draw hunt since my very first deer (also at Richland Creek WMA) at 16 years old. I turned 40 last week!

Overall I couldn’t have asked for a better hunt. It made it even better getting to spend it with my Dad. I really hope he shoots a monsters in the morning.

Comment

Couple more pics from the hunt... Dad and Larry are still out there until noon today. Good movement with this weather.

Comment

Nice congrats

Comment

Just heard Larry shot a good one. They are going to look for it now. Also shot a pig this morning. Dad is still in stand looking for a big one.

Comment

Congratulations

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

We need pics!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t heard back since I heard Larry had shot. Not sure if that’s good news or bad news.

Ill keep you posted!

Comment

I haven’t heard back since I heard Larry had shot. Not sure if that’s good news or bad news.

Ill keep you posted!

Man unfortunately they couldn’t find the buck he shot. Bottom line is the shot through the vitals is much better than a shot to the neck.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Man unfortunately they couldn’t find the buck he shot. Bottom line is the shot through the vitals is much better than a shot to the neck.
                              Man a lot of old timers like that neck shot but I'm not a fan. Watched my Grandfather shoot one in the neck once and it flopped around on the ground a few seconds then got up an ran off, never to be seen again. I'm not saying neck shots aren't fatal but I prefer vitals. I've enjoyed your thread, nothing like public land success.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                                Were there any standby positions given for this hunt?

6 people for 4 spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X