tp@wd new trout law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
    Well is south west Louisiana wasn't already over fished it certainly will be now.
    yep

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
      Our fishery is more to do with flooding since Harvey and fresh water inflows during the past few springs. We fish a lot too and the only part of Galveston that i hear is doing ok (and OK is pushing it)is West Galveston Bay which I don't frequent. East Bay and Trinity Bay as well as Sabine has been terrible. There is small pods of fish scattered around you can catch (those fish are mostly babies) and have a few good days but its no where near normal.
      I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
      Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..

Comment

[quote=jds247;16068303]I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
        Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..[/

What size trout are you catching and in how many different places or totally different areas of Sabine?
        Last edited by ram04; 01-28-2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          That info is about as accurate as a Biden’s speech......and about as accurate as the CDC
          TPW used info from Georgia to push their move on Flounder regs, go figure
          What are you basing your opinion on? Seriously, please provide accurate info that supports your position.

Comment

[quote=ram04;16068324]
            Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
            Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..[/

What size trout are you catching and in how many different places or totally different areas of Sabine?
            In the spring there's 5 or 6 places I fish.. largest last spring was 28.5. I usually flounder fish so I don't spend a ton of time on trout. The only time I trout fish is if my kids want to go catch fish. Flounder fishing is not fast pace enough for them.. This time of year you can catch em over mud on the north end when it warms up in the evening.. late summer south end is where you want to fish. Especially if the water is fresh.. and if you really want to catch fish in the summer fish the docks at night..
            Last edited by jds247; 01-28-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
              There are no big deer in east Texas or fish in Calcasieu.
              There ain't no big trout in Calcasieu anymore dats for sure

Comment

JDS247, Yeah I fish everything your talking about and have been for years but the places your talking about are not near what they should be. The north end usually has fish all the way across it, when it was good 70# stingers happened and 40 fish days with most over 4#’s were common. Now you can catch em, but there is only small pods of fish full of pencils. A couple weeks ago on the north end there was one spot or two spots with a school of fish. I’m sure your talking about north levee in March, of course there is some fish there but that wall use to have fish all the way down it. All summer you could only catch trout south of the causeway, like I said since the floods our population has been decimated. Salty springs will give us a boost, but right now it’s nowhere near what is should be.

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
                  JDS247, Yeah I fish everything your talking about and have been for years but the places your talking about are not near what they should be. The north end usually has fish all the way across it, when it was good 70# stingers happened and 40 fish days with most over 4#’s were common. Now you can catch em, but there is only small pods of fish full of pencils. A couple weeks ago on the north end there was one spot or two spots with a school of fish. I’m sure your talking about north levee in March, of course there is some fish there but that wall use to have fish all the way down it. All summer you could only catch trout south of the causeway, like I said since the floods our population has been decimated. Salty springs will give us a boost, but right now it’s nowhere near what is should be.
                  The silt from the ship channel and hurricanes killed all the oyster in sabine. If tpwd wanted to do some good they would replant the oysters . The south reef use to be one of the best places during the summer.same with Light house cove Now it's nothing but gravel. The numbers are down but the fish aren't dead. They just move off shore. Instead of taking away limits TPWD should invest in habitat restoration.
                  Reducing the number of redfish would go a long way. They are the hogs of the saltwater vacuuming up everything in their path.. Reduce the slot to 16 inches and up the number you can keep. I'll eat 16 to 18 inch reds but any bigger they aren't worth keeping imo.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    The silt from the ship channel and hurricanes killed all the oyster in sabine. If tpwd wanted to do some good they would replant the oysters . The south reef use to be one of the best places during the summer.same with Light house cove Now it's nothing but gravel. The numbers are down but the fish aren't dead. They just move off shore. Instead of taking away limits TPWD should invest in habitat restoration.
                    Reducing the number of redfish would go a long way. They are the hogs of the saltwater vacuuming up everything in their path.. Reduce the slot to 16 inches and up the number you can keep. I'll eat 16 to 18 inch reds but any bigger they aren't worth keeping imo.
                    Very true on the reds and the south oyster, but lowering the trout is what is needed now. The beach was full of trout from Louisiana to Galveston this summer, those fish didn’t pull in which hurt us. I don’t want just trout I want what it use to be, if it means keeping less trout them I’ll keep less trout. Plenty of flounder and redfish to eat. I do think bringing in new oysters like they did in Galveston would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                      What are you basing your opinion on? Seriously, please provide accurate info that supports your position.
                      If I had to guess it would be living on the water day in and day out.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        One thing that you can count on, there will be a whole bunch of guides moving into Galveston and Sabine from further south hammering the upper coast fish. For every action, there is an unintended consequence.
                        I seriously doubt that.

Comment

Bunch of guys go out and can't catch fish so claim we need to lower limits.

If you really want trout populations to come back then outlaw bait croaker. Not because it makes it easier for guys to catch fish but because we're depleting a direct food source for the fish we're complaining about having low numbers.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          The red fish are really about to take it on the chin.
                          I hope so, they compete for food sources and there's too **** many of them.

Dolphins are overpopulated too, they eat more trout than I do that's for sure.

Some of this is trolling.
                          Last edited by justletmein; 01-28-2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Bunch of guys go out and can't catch fish so claim we need to lower limits.

If you really want trout populations to come back then outlaw bait croaker. Not because it makes it easier for guys to catch fish but because we're depleting a direct food source for the fish we're complaining about having low numbers.

I hope so, they compete for food sources and there's too **** many of them.

Dolphins are overpopulated too, they eat more trout than I do that's for sure.

Some of this is trolling.

It may be "Trolling" but what you say is pretty dang factual!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              It may be "Trolling" but what you say is pretty dang factual!
                              The best trolling always has a little truth embedded.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                                I have no prob with that. TPWD Actually did something that makes sense
                                My SCI Chapter signed off on the TOP'S letter supporting the move two weeks ago. The freeze of last year was a big factor for our board members. I also was concerned about giving something up and potentially not getting it back but honestly we have enough conspiracy stuff at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X