No announcement yet.

My boys drew Powderhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! About time I figure out how to post pics on this site!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
      i have to do it through tapatalk, its a lot easier.

Comment

Hopefully see y'all there. If work doesn't mess up our plans, will have my 14 year old there to try for standby.

Comment

3/13 (roughly) standbys drawn and we’re off to the compartment here momentarily.

Comment

That’s pretty good odds, it was like 1 out of 45 when we’re there

Hope y’all get a good compartment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Five minutes in and two bucks spotted off the road. Bigger one is 330 yds... the stalk is on

Comment

He stalked to about 150 and anchored him.. pics to follow, 6-7 years old per bio but not very big ..then before we made it to the blind be shot a doe right off the road. After I dropped them off at the blind (finally) they apparently saw a sambar cow far off but didn’t pursue.
                Haven’t fished much yet!

Comment

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Doubled down quick! Awaiting pics!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Comment

@gburk Don't leave us hangin!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Worst thread updater ever, right?? Just pulled in the driveway and got my older son headed back to college station for 9am class tomorrow, and put “A lot” of quarters away in the fridge/ cooler for now. And two limits of sheepsheads.
                          Younger boy and I went fishing today while the older two tried to fill the sambar tag... it was tough going apparently they blew a stalk on a couple stags early on and then .. nothing. At one point they were afraid they might be seeing the fabled 140” deer that jshouse and the bio had both told us about (same deer? One would assume). But later decided that while heavy it was not the one, which was fortunate since as you recall he tagged a good not great buck within an hour of entering the compartment yesterday. Anyways for our part we were struggling to find fish and not freeze our azzes off in the wind.
                          Around midday my son got clearance from bio to change units to one potentially more favorable for a sambar, and my tag holding son made it clear his intention to shoot any legal ‘bar and come join us fishing. Had to remind him, we can drive down here and fish next weekend (not really but close enough..) but you may never hunt a sambar again... so stick with it. We had found some docks that were loaded with trophy sheepsheads in case that’s actually a thing.. . we managed to hook one for about every 7-10 strikes and it really was a good time. I think the biggest was about 22” and most of them fought like hell. Not the classic gulf coast quarry but it was our first time dragging the boat down there and, not knowing at all what we were doing, we were happy to have them
                          About 8/10s through our limit i get a text “hind down, head to powderhorn at first oppty” so we caught a couple more and buzzed back and got back on the trailer, this time pulling the boat right up to the skinning shack (having checked out and not really having any place else to put it). Met the boys who’d been graciously given a ride (along with hind) to the rack From the staff there and got her taken care of
                          Before we left had a chat with bio who it turns out had actually worked the hunt 6 years ago when we’d been there last and shared some funny stories from the Tyhp days and Hardin county Huntmasters.
                          All in all a great weekend, can’t say enough good things about the staff down there and obviously the animal density is strong. We’ll see how the boys do tomorrow morning getting up for basketball practice / school after I’ve warned them that momma don’t care about your fun weekend if you can’t keep it together Monday morning. ��

Comment

Worst thread updater ever, right?? Just pulled in the driveway and got my older son headed back to college station for 9am class tomorrow, and put “A lot” of quarters away in the fridge/ cooler for now. And two limits of sheepsheads.
                            Younger boy and I went fishing today while the older two tried to fill the sambar tag... it was tough going apparently they blew a stalk on a couple stags early on and then .. nothing. At one point they were afraid they might be seeing the fabled 140” deer that jshouse and the bio had both told us about (same deer? One would assume). But later decided that while heavy it was not the one, which was fortunate since as you recall he tagged a good not great buck within an hour of entering the compartment yesterday. Anyways for our part we were struggling to find fish and not freeze our azzes off in the wind.
                            Around midday my son got clearance from bio to change units to one potentially more favorable for a sambar, and my tag holding son made it clear his intention to shoot any legal ‘bar and come join us fishing. Had to remind him, we can drive down here and fish next weekend (not really but close enough..) but you may never hunt a sambar again... so stick with it. We had found some docks that were loaded with trophy sheepsheads in case that’s actually a thing.. . we managed to hook one for about every 7-10 strikes and it really was a good time. I think the biggest was about 22” and most of them fought like hell. Not the classic gulf coast quarry but it was our first time dragging the boat down there and, not knowing at all what we were doing, we were happy to have them
                            About 8/10s through our limit i get a text “hind down, head to powderhorn at first oppty” so we caught a couple more and buzzed back and got back on the trailer, this time pulling the boat right up to the skinning shack (having checked out and not really having any place else to put it). Met the boys who’d been graciously given a ride (along with hind) to the rack From the staff there and got her taken care of
                            Before we left had a chat with bio who it turns out had actually worked the hunt 6 years ago when we’d been there last and shared some funny stories from the Tyhp days and Hardin county Huntmasters.
                            All in all a great weekend, can’t say enough good things about the staff down there and obviously the animal density is strong. We’ll see how the boys do tomorrow morning getting up for basketball practice / school after I’ve warned them that momma don’t care about your fun weekend if you can’t keep it together Monday morning. ��
                            good stuff man congrats to you guys.

Comment

Ok,
                              Sorry for just checking in and making a post.
                              Both of my kids were drawn for this hunt. We have been super excited about it and couldn't wait to get down there.
                              Saturday my daughter didn't get to hunt due to having a Volleyball tournament in Leander which they got 2nd place. My son and I got checked in and headed to our compartment. We scouted around both blinds a decided that blind 22 was our best bet for Sambar. We did some slow walking to find as many marsh areas as possible to set up on to hunt for sambar. While walking we saw 4 WT bucks but nothing very big so decided to pass with our goal being a sambar. We did manage to catch a glimpse of a nice Axis crossing a fence line but we were not presented a shot. We finally found a large marsh area with a lot of signs and great visibility. We set up and with in 15 minutes we saw our first sambar. It was a hind so we decided to pass and wait for a stag since it was still early in the hunt. We watched this hind for 20 minutes or so and them 4 more came out, one of them being a large spike. My son decided to pass so we just watched the group for another 45 minutes or so when we noticed another LARGE sambar and sure enough it was a big 3x3 stag. We get all set up and take a 275 yard shot with a clean miss. Sambar all stayed and we set up for a second shot with another clean miss. This isn't like my son to miss but I chalked it up to buck fever. The sambar did finally run off but then reappeared in another opening but we could not get a shot. We waited around for another 30 minutes or so and headed back to the buggy to head in. On our drive back to the truck we saw 2 WT does and Blake said he wanted to shoot one. We get set up for a 60 yard shot and another complete miss!!! I am now convinced the rifle must of got bumped and is now off-site. So, back to driving to the truck and we see 2 axis does but decided not to shoot with lack of confidence in gun. Get to the house and check with bore sighter and the gun is WAY off. Get another rifle ready for Sunday morning and try to get some sleep. My daughter (Paige) gets home about 12:30 form Leander tourney and I tell her a recap from the days hunt and we both get to bed to try and get some sleep. 4:00 am comes early and we head to Port Lavaca to pick up my brother to hunt with us since I have both Paige and Blake with me. We get out to our setups and Blake hunts in blind 22 and Paige and I go set up on the marsh where we saw the sambar. Sunday morning was dead. finally around 10 my son gets a shot at an 8 pt WT and drops it. The new rifle (300 win mag) is on site and did its job but the extra recoil left a little extra blood on Blakes forehead LOL. We get the buck back to cleaning station at about 11:15 and asked the WMA crew what else had been taken that morning and we were told we were the first animal to be brought in. We made quick work of the buck and headed back out in the field. Ate a little lunch in the truck and Paige and I decided to set up back on the marsh area and just wait out the afternoon. Blake and my brother found another large marsh area and set up on it. Blake saw a sambar hind and decided to wait as it was early in the afternoon(12:30). He went on to see a group of 5 axis cross a small opening with one being a large buck but they were 400+ yards and never stopped moving. Paige and I weren't seeing anything but we had a plan to stay and just see what shows up. At about 3:45 I see a lager animal about 400 yards away and I figured it was a sambar but after getting the binos up I see it is a Very Large Axis buck. He is moving quickly and I watch him walk down to a sand flat and we made the decision to put on a stalk as we would have a decent north wind in our face and we should be able to sneak over the bluff to glass and find him in the sand flat. We stalk to where we think he should be and nothing. We just keep glassing and sure enough he pops out on the bluff 20 yards from us and he sees us and disappeared into the brush. We decide to slowly walk back to our set up and wait it out in hopes the sambar show back up. While walking back to our setup we notice a sambar but we can only see the back side of it. We are 50-60 yards from it and my daughter made the decision to take it weather it was a stag or hind. We sneak around a small mott of scrub oaks and we find the sambar and we can tell it is a hind. We setup shooting sticks and the hind finally notices us. She is now looking right at us and I whisper to Paige shoot her in the middle of the neck! She makes a great shot and we have a sambar down. The work begins on gutting her, there are a lot of guts lol. We meet up with my brother and Blake and go to retrieve our hind. We get her loaded into the ranger and head in. This was a great hunt and experience. The hunt is ran well and they have all the equipment to help people with the retrieval and cleaning of animals. I will post pics shortly.
                              gburk, I saw you there with the boat, I was in the white dodge backing up to the rack when you pulled out.

Comment

WT was aged at 4.5 year old

Sambar weighed 250# gutted.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X