Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
    What county is your pasture in?
    Surely your joking right? You ever run any cattle?

Comment

Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
      What county is your pasture in?

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
      It's even worse the farther south east you get.. there's a guy down the road from me with 10 cows and a bull on 5 acres.. basically a feed lot.. feeds hay year round.

I don't own cattle or horses but know those who do and I hear things.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        According to that math we could sell thousands of acres and I’d be buying a new 50’ Yellowfin with quad Tripple Seven Marine engines I’d like to know his recipe for running a 1 to 1 ratio but maybe I’ve missed the boat the last 30 years and been doing it all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          It's even worse the farther south east you get.. there's a guy down the road from me with 10 cows and a bull on 5 acres.. basically a feed lot.. feeds hay year round.
          Originally posted by Kong View Post
          According to that math we could sell thousands of acres and I’d be buying a new 50’ Yellowfin with quad Tripple Seven Marine engines I’d like to know his recipe for running a 1 to 1 ratio but maybe I’ve missed the boat the last 30 years and been doing it all wrong.
          I'm not saying it's the correct way to do things
          It's just what I've heard over several years

Comment

If you could run 1 momma cow per acre I’d get back in the buisiness and every cattleman could be making money. My brother in law owns 360 acres around Grapeland. About 160 is improved Bermuda pasture and he is running 80 mommas and he will tell you that’s too many but is trying to make a profit. And he really isn’t. And he owns the land. No lease fees
            Last edited by Gumbo Man; 01-12-2022, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I'm betting this thread didn't turn out like the OP intended.

Really just boils down to the land, and what it can support. We ran 30ish head on 100 acres of improved pasture land without even coming close to overgrazing it when I was growing up (we fed hay in winter as all the grass was dormant). But my deer lease out in Comstock probably wouldn't support 30 head on 500 acres, maybe not even 1000 without supplemental feeding.

Comment

My uncle set up his lease to where the leaser pays per head per month instead of an annual rate per acreage. This allows him to have a say in what the limits are and further incentivize the leaser to not kick out a bunch of extras in any given month. Being out there multiple times a week helps maintain accountability, if you only saw your property during hunting season and a few times in between it would probably be hard to keep the leaser honest.

Comment

There appears to be a very broad interpretation of what overgrazing is, and a lack of knowledge on what it actually is (residual grass doesn't necessarily mean a property isn't overgrazed; vegetation structure, and both alpha and beta levels of diversity, is crucial to habitat health). But, livestock concerns generally outweigh habitat and wildlife concerns. And, as has been said, you can't make much money without overgrazing, especially in a lease situation.

Comment

I don't own cattle or horses but know those who do and I hear things.
                    The dumb **** you hear in your head doesn't count.

If land in that part of the world won't support 1 head per 10 acres, it's not grazing land to begin with.

Comment

Unless the LO is depending on the lease money, not sure why he ever leased it out for grazing to begin with. If 100 acres cant hold 10 cows, whats the point lol. Maybe the LO can get a cow or 2 or a donkey to keep out there and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        If the land won't support 1 head per 10 acres, it's not grazing land to begin with.
                        Bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          I'm betting this thread didn't turn out like the OP intended.
                          Not at all, figured a discussion would bring out a broad range of opinions.

I messed up by not writing in the amount of head into the original lease, but I made it very clear that I control the water. I have been very upfront with him that this isnt a card I want to play in writing and in conversation. Again, he agrees that he is overgrazing the land, this isnt only my opinion.

Comment

Pretty interesting website.

I am also trying to figure out my best number of momma cows.

Find out how many cows your property can handle! Learn how to determine if you have too many and what stocking rate really means!

BP

Comment

I would be very careful doing anything that could cause harm to his animals, like turning off the water or draining the tank. There are laws against interfering with agricultural operations. I would work with an attorney, the sheriff and the leaser and get him off the property. It sucks, but he has a binding agreement with you and you don't want to end up in the wrong on the deal. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                                Something here isn’t adding up. I have 15 head on 50 acres with grass to spare during the growing season. I’m feeding hay now, but I still have standing grass over 10 inches.

Shutting off water and draining ponds is a chicken sh*t move.

There’s much more to this story that’s not being told.

post #60 pretty much spells it out.
                                And just because your property will hold 15 head on 50 acres…there’s something missing? As stated several times on this thread, every property is different. The cattleman is taking advantage of the missing verbiage in the contract. I can promise you the OP isn’t getting rich off of the grazing rights to 100 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X