There is still hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is still hope!

With all the talk about how all is lost with the latest generation I had to share this. The family and I stopped at Whataburger this evening for dinner. I was behind an elderly Gentleman in line and the interaction between the young man working the register and the elderly man impressed me. The young man was very kind and respectful. The elderly man had not purchased a drinks with his meal and the young man offered him a drink anyway for while he waited for free. When the young man noticed he had purchased two meals he insisted he had two drinks and went and got him a drink holder so he could carry them and his food. The elderly man had not asked for any of this and was very appreciative. After I paid my bill, I handed the young man $5 and told him I appreciated the way he treated that elderly gentleman and that I was impressed.

There is still hope. My son is a typical 14 year old who loves his PS4 with friends. He also opens doors for everyone, says yes sir, mam and no sir, mam. He was taught to respect all, especially the elders. I am very proud of him and he will mature to be a great adult.

Comment

McD's

That's cool. Kinda gives hope.....

My wife tipped a girl $10 at McDonalds (my 4 yo granddaughter has to have breakfast there 3x a wk, b4 daycare) the other day. Purple/blue hair and all.

Me and Bella usually go by ourselves but my wife was with us this trip and noticed how respectful and helpful the girl was with us (and other customers too).
      It wasn't really hard for her to stand out in her crowd of "co-workers" but she really does go above and beyond.

I told my wife that the young lady is always that way.
      When we left, my wife had Bella hand her $10 and she thanked her for her attitude and professionalism (if there is such a thing in fast food).

When we'd left and was getting in the car my wife said, I'm coming back with you next time, too. I need to ask her something".

(I knew what she was going to ask, lol. My wife's a mngr at Whataburger)!

Comment

Well done OP

Comment

Kudos to you OP!

Comment

Good job to both of you..
            My son is 21.. He has been offered several jobs, including the one he currently has, simply because of his helpfulness and politeness to total strangers.. Who ever would have ever thought that being polite to strangers would become so rare??? He makes me proud....

Comment

My kids are more polite to strangers than there are with us.
              I'm ok with that because I at least know they know when and how to.[emoji16]
              I guess I was the same way, my mom talks about how everyone would say what a polite and well mannered young man I was.
              She would ask them if they were sure it was me they were talking about lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

The bad rap millenials are getting is largely undeserved, imo. They are no more worthless than I was at that age. It's just tha a holes that make the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                  The bad rap millenials are getting is largely undeserved, imo. They are no more worthless than I was at that age. It's just tha a holes that make the news.
                  Man I would love to agree with you on this but I just can't do it..
                  After coaching for 9 years and watching these kids grow into adults has been pretty disheartening to watch.. The amount of dead beat, drug heads, in their 20's and early 30's, in the area I live in is scary... I see them around town during the day, in the middle of the week, looking like they just crawled out of bed.. A bunch have figured out how to work the system $$$... They are not all "winners" like they have been told their entire lives...

Comment

Who do you think have fought the wars in Iraq/Afghani for the last 20 years? Give you a hint. Rhymes with millennials.

Comment

I was in WM twice this week and encountered 4 different employees that asked me if they could help, knew where the items I was looking for were located, and offered to walk me to them--and the guy in sporting goods that sold my granddaughter a hunting license knew his stuff--took all of 3-4 minutes to get it done.

Comment

Good job.

Comment

I think there are still genuinely good kids out there. I have encountered the a-hole kids as well. I’m more surprised at the good kids though because it does seem they are fewer in numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            It's not just them that get a bad rap. I fall into a negative slant sometimes too, so I'm not excluding myself. But people in general are focusing way too much on the bad lately.

There are people from every walk of life in my office most days, from brick crew laborers, to people purchasing multi-million dollar homes. I work with both on jobsites as well. There are jackasses, naturally...but by and large I feel that people are still good. 95% Of the folks we see are respectful and mostly courteous...even if some of the Indian and Asian folks have a different version of "coureous".

I'm on the road around town a lot during the week too, in and out of convenience stores, restaurants, and other establishments myself. I hold doors open for everyone, and help people (usually at Home Depot, and the grocery store) reach things, or lift things that they may need help with, and find that most do for me. I always say thank you sir/ma'am, and 95% get the same in return.

I was (lost) southeast of downtown Dallas the other day in what some would call a rough neighborhood, and trying to get into a gas station parking lot to look at the map on my phone. The car in front of me quit for whatever reason, and these two black guys get out and kind of stare at itd. I turned on my flashers and got out and they kind of looked at me weird for a second, I said "throw'er in neutral and steer man" and nodded at the parking lot. He jumped in and me and his passenger managed to push it in. These guys and I are obviously from completely different walks of life, and no one had to tell any of us that. They thanked me about 4 times and went inside. I got back in my truck and pulled in to do my thing, and ol boy walked out and tapped on my window with a bottle of water. He didn't have to do that, but he did. I have been broke down before and had guys just like those two help me, when they didn't have to.

My grandpa, my parents, and my uncle, taught me when someone needs help, try your best to help them. I remember spending a couple hours towing a broken boat in one day when dad and I had planned on fishing all day. He looked over at me (obviously dejected) and said, "one day we may need a tow in..." It's really not that hard to be nice, and help a man who needs help. If they aren't appreciative...that's on them, but do it anyway because that's the thing to do.
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-15-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              I was in WM twice this week and encountered 4 different employees that asked me if they could help, knew where the items I was looking for were located, and offered to walk me to them--and the guy in sporting goods that sold my granddaughter a hunting license knew his stuff--took all of 3-4 minutes to get it done.
                              You mean you actually found someone in WM sporting goods section? There is seldom anyone there in Angleton WM. Gotta page them then it takes 10 minutes for them to arrive.
                              Last edited by locolobo; 03-15-2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X