No announcement yet.

Redneck knowledge needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again, I knew there had to be a better / cheaper way.

Comment

rubbing Alcohol and dry ice soak the hearing in it and it will almost fall in just use pliers to handle it ( very cold)

Comment

I changed the bearing on a 4 wheeler once with a torch and a deep freeze. Heated it up to get the bearing out. Put the bearing in the deep freeze and heated up the axle again. Slid right in.

Comment

I changed mine a cpl months ago. O’Reilly loaned me the press. Think I had to put a $80 deposit for it. It worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
            Or maybe apply the oilfield rule. If the tool doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.
            Bigger Hammer!

Comment

You can use a vice on some. A piece of pipe, or the afforementioned socket will do most good. Some heat in the right spot.....rinse, repeat, and keep hammering.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                Socket that just fits inside the hub and still catch the bearing . Hit the socket with a big hammer being careful not to hit the hand holding the socket. It may take a few swings of the hammer but it should come on out.

This is what I've always used.

Comment

Socket to fit, tap in or out with a hammer.

Comment

I have driven them out with a hammer and a large punch or drift. I have also knocked the inner race out, which causes the ball bearings to drop out. Then cut the outer race with a torch, then drive the race out with a hammer and punch. I have had to do that and I own a press. I have needed to remove and replace bearings from steering knuckles, that I flat could not find a way to hold the knuckle in the press solidly and have the bearing square with the press.

Comment

If your trying to install , put that bearing in the freezer.

Comment

Torch

Comment

Use a deep socket and save your fingers.

Comment

Atvs - remove with round punch and 2lb hammer working around. I ground down an old bearing to be smaller and use it to install new bearings.

Auto - had one stuck in solid axle and used long rod from the other side, of course the diff gears were already removed. We also torched the housing. Slide hammer is next best if diff gears are installed.

Have any pictures of what your working on?

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                              Atvs - remove with round punch and 2lb hammer working around. I ground down an old bearing to be smaller and use it to install new bearings.

Auto - had one stuck in solid axle and used long rod from the other side, of course the diff gears were already removed. We also torched the housing. Slide hammer is next best if diff gears are installed.

Have any pictures of what your working on?
                              No pics, but it is a Ranger. It just has a very small amount of play right now and makes a bad grinding noise when I have a load on it. As soon as I get a few other fires put out I will be moving on to replacing it and possibly replacing U joints while I have it down.

Comment

I've replaced numerous on a Yamaha due to driving in swamps. Underwater is hard on them and the replacements just don't seem to last as long.
                                The yamaha doesn't have a grease zerk for the wheel bearing housing, just a few seals, so no way to fill that space with grease, making room for water to come in. The bearings themselves are sealed, but take that lightly. Hear are some things I've learned over replacements.
                                Seals easily come out with flathead screwdriver.
                                Clamp hub in solid vise or to solid surface.
                                Knock out old bearings from opposite side with punch and big hammer, youll only be able to punch the very inside edge but work around in circle and it'll come out easy.
                                Thoroughly clean inside with degreaser.
                                To install
                                I took an old bearing to grinder wheel and reduced it so it can be used to hammer in new bearing and its smaller so easily comes back out.
                                Use large socket to lightly tap in seals
                                On the machine, clean the surfaces the seals will touch very well. Then lubricate with grease so the seals slip on nicely.
                                Pack the housing with grease before you slide on the axle and pack as much as you can in once on. This keeps water out.
                                Tighten axle nut to spec, its pretty high.

Comment

Working...
                                X