No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot them walking away. Or maybe try some federal third degree loads or heavy shot mag blend. Honestly though, I’d take the good pattern at 40 with an overly tight pattern in close than a more open pattern in close, but not feeling confident when a bird hangs up at the edge of range.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
      With the amount of short hunts and public land in the schedule, I decided to get a turkey gun put together.

I already had a youth model 20ga Remington 870 so that’s where I started. The gun was a little short so I added a a shurshot synthetic stock. I also added a Burris red dot site and a Camo job from Mossy Oak graphics.

I’ll be shooting the new Federal TSS #9s (or #7s in Iowa).

Only thing I need to do is decide on the choke. I’ve been playing with a Primos Tightwad, Remington Super Full, and Indian Creek. They’ll all kill a turkey but I need some more time to pattern them. The IC and Super Full setupswill easily kill turkeys at 40+ yards but that comes with a very tight pattern at 15-20.

Comment

Interesting shot choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
          Interesting shot choice.

The weight of the tungsten allows for the smaller shot and excess amount of pellets.

If I recall correctly, the #9 TSS shoots like a lead #4...except you have over twice amount of pellets

Comment

Gotcha!!

Comment

Birds still flocked up this morning.

20+ hens on one side of the field and 4 toms on the other. Looks like the timing may be perfect come the opener!

Comment

Are you ok with us piggybacking our exploits on your thread, or do you prefer keeping it less cluttered? Will be an epic thread either way!

Comment

Heading out to scout in Sonora next weekend. Sounds like everyone is gearing up!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                    Are you ok with us piggybacking our exploits on your thread, or do you prefer keeping it less cluttered? Will be an epic thread either way!

Not at all!!

I enjoy reading about everyone’s trips!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                      Not at all!!

I enjoy reading about everyone’s trips!
                      You know... I've followed this thread a couple years... and still dont know what the JFT stands for... I just know its a kickass turkey season thread

I want to be like Chew when I grow old.... er.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        You know... I've followed this thread a couple years... and still dont know what the JFT stands for... I just know its a kickass turkey season thread

Gotta ask Smart!!! [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                          Heading out to scout in Sonora next weekend. Sounds like everyone is gearing up!
                          Run them across the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Lmao!! Clay was a big time Johnny Manziel fan way back when and I took the play on Johnny “bleeping” Football aka JFF and replaced football with turkey for him when he was talking about both one day. . The legend of JFT took off with his live threads. [emoji13][emoji23]

Comment

Birds are still flocked up here and no gobbling for us in 2.5 days of work. We were out at the crack of dawn both full days too. Hens we saw here had no gobblers with them.

On the drive into Christoval we saw two flocks of gobblers on other properties too. One 7 and one 5. No hens in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Lmao!! Clay was a big time Johnny Manziel fan way back when and I took the play on Johnny “bleeping” Football aka JFF and replaced football with turkey for him when he was talking about both one day. . The legend of JFT took off with his live threads. [emoji13][emoji23]
                                Hahaha! I had 2 of the 3 guessed correctly. I was just saying in my head "Just F..... Turkeys".

So... do they have Turkeys in Canada 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Working...
                                X