Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    Got it. Just looked it up. Our place was covered in the stuff. It was like carpet.

Candy to deer in the winter and early spring. Big reason they don’t care about feeders. Big fall and early winter rains always bring a lot of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

Guess we are out of luck..never seen it on our place near RL?

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post

Look around I bet it’s there. A lot of times it’s thatched up under old grass. If you have sheep/goats or an over abundance of deer it could be eaten as well.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          Candy to deer in the winter and early spring. Big reason they don’t care about feeders. Big fall and early winter rains always bring a lot of it.

No livestock and a fire in 2011 means our deer numbers are lower than what I guess would be the historical average.

That stuff was like carpet in certain places that the grass/cedars weren't too high.

Comment

Most of it isn’t that tall off the ground and bloomed. If you see a really small green plant that’s growing tight to the ground and has a bright red leaf mixed with green leafs, almost looks like blood droplets on the ground(makes it tough when tracking deer) that’s it. I don’t think theaters is property in western Texas especially around Angelo that doesn’t grow it. #1 most preferred deer browse there is.

Comment

Comment

If anyone needs some on site RV repair, pm me and I'll provide the number. Both my son and I needed some work done on our RV's and David did a very good job. He's based out of San Angelo, did the work at our Robert Lee lease.

He does all electrical, appliances, propane heaters, AC, roofs etc.

We are VERY particular about credibility and quality work so satisfied.

Hope I'm not stepping on any Toe's here on the GS if you do the same service?
                PM inbound.
                I'd love someone to come teach me how to use my 5th wheel and go through the various systems. I'm on the east side of Ivie. Is that too far?

Comment

After the 2010-2011 super drought, when we had nothing but dirt, leafless oaks and mesquites and some dead cedar, we got 7” of rain opening weekend plus another 4-5 the next two weeks. Our place was covered in this filaree and clover. 2400 acres of basically one large food plot. That year was the only year, I have ever been skunked on our place and that probably happened 10-15 times. The other times you’d see them out in the fields browsing on it. Hated it then... love it now except when I have to track a deer because I don’t see red as well as some folks.

Thanks for the name, didn’t know that. I just knew the deer ate it.
                  Last edited by Smart; 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Check out the nutrition numbers in it, it’s pretty amazing. Also one of the most palatable browse there is also.

Comment

Filaree will be everywhere this year throughout the Spring with the rainfall we got this Fall. It's around 20 to 25% crude protein. Great forage!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        PM inbound.
                        I'd love someone to come teach me how to use my 5th wheel and go through the various systems. I'm on the east side of Ivie. Is that too far?
                        Hey all...I shared with Gunnyart my contact today. All I can tell you is David did a great job for me and just PM if you need his contact info. I will NOT share on this general OP but again happy to provide in a PM.

One thing, again, he is based out of San Angelo so depending on your location there could be a destination charge? He's worked on my son and our RV's and we were very pleased.

Kuma...

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                          Filaree will be everywhere this year throughout the Spring with the rainfall we got this Fall. It's around 20 to 25% crude protein. Great forage!
                          Heck ya free protein,

Comment

Hey all...I shared with Gunnyart my contact today. All I can tell you is David did a great job for me and just PM if you need his contact info. I will NOT share on this general OP but again happy to provide in a PM.

One thing, again, he is based out of San Angelo so depending on your location there could be a destination charge? He's worked on my son and our RV's and we were very pleased.

Kuma...
                            Good info to have thanks
                            Last edited by Hoytbowhunter; 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The pastures and deer are in incredible shape for this time of year. Should be one heck of a Spring at this rate.

Comment

I’m back!! Haha

Didn’t get to go to Mexico but 2 times and only once to hunt so I’ll be back hunting here next year. Still kept the place down there but since 1 guy was getting of our place in Christoval I just didn’t fill it and took it back. Oh and we still have A TON of standing water from this past year.

Last edited by bphillips; 02-14-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X