Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    You get $600 for 10 acres?
    depending on the condition of the acreage, i would be closer to 800 and can get it pretty regular. It takes several hours to mow 10 acres with anything less than a batwing. I wont pull the tractor out for any less than $350 considering how far the place is and how thick the grass/brush is. Thicker it is, the more time it takes and more of a beating the equipment takes.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
      I just mowed a gentleman's place on Saturday between coldspring and clevland. It was overgrown 4 acre pasture. I drove 1hr 20 min to get there pulling the deere and 6 ft mower on the trailer. Charged 350 to mow it and he thought i was underpaid so he gave me 4 which i was very appreciative.
      Mowing acreage can be a nice side gig if you already have the equipment.
      I think I’d quit my day job pretty quick if someone was going to pay me $50 an acre plus a $200 show up fee, like mentioned above.

Comment

If you tell us where the property is located, you might have better luck finding someone dependable.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          I think I’d quit my day job pretty quick if someone was going to pay me $50 an acre plus a $200 show up fee, like mentioned above.
          Considering it took me all day to get there (1.2 hrs), 3 hours to mow, additional 1.2 hrs home, 7 gallons of fuel in the tractor, and half tank of fuel in the truck, I really did not come out as far ahead as one would think. And this was a relatively open field. If i'm dodging trees, costs goes up. Its nice side cash and play money, but i would not do it for a living every day.

Some of these places are so thick, it bogs the tractor and PTO down too much and begins to overheat. 1st gear running high rpm's was the best bet. 2nd was pushing it.

For the OP, paying someone would probably be your best bet a couple times a year if you are wanting to keep your costs down. If you buy your own tractor, theres all kinds of costs associated with that and mower attachments are not cheap either. However, you could do someone elses mowing on the side to offset the costs like we do.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
            Considering it took me all day to get there (1.2 hrs), 3 hours to mow, additional 1.2 hrs home, 7 gallons of fuel in the tractor, and half tank of fuel in the truck, I really did not come out as far ahead as one would think. And this was a relatively open field. If i'm dodging trees, costs goes up. Its nice side cash and play money, but i would not do it for a living every day.

Some of these places are so thick, it bogs the tractor and PTO down too much and begins to overheat. 1st gear running high rpm's was the best bet. 2nd was pushing it.

For the OP, paying someone would probably be your best bet a couple times a year if you are wanting to keep your costs down. If you buy your own tractor, theres all kinds of costs associated with that and mower attachments are not cheap either. However, you could do someone elses mowing on the side to offset the costs like we do.
            I can usually get 40-60 acres a day. All I’m seeing is dollar signs. Lots of money down there, though. People willing to pay those high prices.

Comment

It's not how much you get paid -- it's how often. How many people need to pay someone to mow their 10 acres?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  It's not how much you get paid -- it's how often. How many people need to pay someone to mow their 10 acres?
                  correct. We do 3-4 a year just to offset costs

Comment

control burn

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                      I’m with you on not using chemicals.

We have a similar property with around 10 non-wooded pasture type acres and have someone to cut hay. In return, he gets all the hay and keeps things cleaned up.
                      My immediate neigh has sixty acres of hay being cut under the same deal (no money but it must stay very clean looking) but the guy that cuts her hay doesn't want to fiddle with bringing a smaller machine over to do my portion.
                      I have a lot of trees on mine where hers is a nice clean pasture. Zero trees.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                        Where is this property located?
                        Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                        If you tell us where the property is located, you might have better luck finding someone dependable.
                        I'm sqiggy's neighbor. Right on the sabine

Thanks guys but I'm gonna shell out for this tractor and start doing it myself
                        I hate being dependent upon other ppl for this very reason But tried to give it a go since he offered and I didn't want to offend my (rural) neighbors (who just happen to be distant family)

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          I'm sqiggy's neighbor. Right on the sabine

Thanks guys but I'm gonna shell out for this tractor and start doing it myself
                          I hate being dependent upon other ppl for this very reason But tried to give it a go since he offered and I didn't want to offend my (rural) neighbors (who just happen to be distant family)
                          The Sabine River is a river, 510 miles long, in the Southern U.S. states of Texas and Louisiana. In its lower course, it forms part of the boundary between the two states and empties into Sabine Lake, an estuary of the Gulf of Mexico. Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I think asking the neighbor who was mowing it to borrow his tractor is the best route. Pay him the $40 he was getting for doing it, and do it yourself.
                            Everytime he comes over he complains about my place beating his equipment up.
                            Bending a blade.
                            Running over a stump (I have lots of lil stumps)

So I wouldn't want to risk damaging his big dollar tractor in my hands

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Everytime he comes over he complains about my place beating his equipment up.
                              Bending a blade.
                              Running over a stump (I have lots of lil stumps)

So I wouldn't want to risk damaging his big dollar tractor in my hands
                              Very few places are "clean" and if they are around here they tend to be so rough you gotta look back to see if you left your spleen laying somewhere.

Comment

Let me guess you have not priced a tractor and implements, cost of maintenance and repair?

Comment

Working...
                                X