No announcement yet.

Extra fees when buying a SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freight and assembly definately to high.
    Get several quotes from different dealerships so you have some bargaining information. Make sure your comparing apples to apples. I had about 6 dealers working on a price for me and hoffy and Tuttle were within a few dollars and hoffy had one delivered first. They are hard to come by now. Check with Justin spies.

Comment

Isn't all that stuff called the cost of doing business?

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
        U can get one out of state and avoid the tax
        Not anymore, they now collect the tax unless ag exempt.

I have bought 3 from Antler Motorsports. They only charged me the $150 doc fee and tax.
        Last edited by mjames76; 02-24-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

We have purchased 3 UTVs over the years and those fees don't look much out of line. They really are pretty standard and are a way to back door a bit of the mark-up that was not included in the sales price. Most car dealerships do similar.

At least in my experience, pressing them to lower the Sales price to cover some of these costs is the best bet. As mentioned by a few, there actually is some assembly involved and it takes a bit of time even for an expert at the dealership. Also, due to liability reasons, they won't sell you an unassembled unit.

At the end of the day, the number at the bottom of the page is the only one that counts. If you like that number, it doesn't matter how you got there. I'd press them to lower the sales price, although, good luck expecting them to cover all of those fees, as they more than likely won't.

Comment

Can you buy one in the box and assemble at home?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphabets View Post
              Can you buy one in the box and assemble at home?
              Not without voiding the warranty I bet

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                Telling me more! Is uncrating and removing all the protective plastic and such considered assembly? Do they have to put the tires on the vehicle? Maybe add fluids? Trying to think what else wouldnt come assembled from the factory.
                Roll cages, fluids, and a few other odds and ends. They definitely don’t come out of the crate ready to roll.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                  U can get one out of state and avoid the tax. Or use ag exempt purposes. Try to negotiate w em? I bought a new 1k polaris highlifter back in 17. Its been a really good machine

Be careful buying one using the Ag Exempt option... Specifically for SXS, UTV's and ATV's they must be 100% Ag use. If they check and you are using it for non-ag related operations, they can really stick it to you... This was changed several years ago because of the abuse of buying hunting buggies for "ag" use...

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW...
                  Some counties really check this stuff out too!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Be careful buying one using the Ag Exempt option... Specifically for SXS, UTV's and ATV's they must be 100% Ag use. If they check and you are using it for non-ag related operations, they can really stick it to you... This was changed several years ago because of the abuse of buying hunting buggies for "ag" use...

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW...
                    Some counties really check this stuff out too!
                    What counties do this? They are not licensed so how would anyone know if I paid taxes on it

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Telling me more! Is uncrating and removing all the protective plastic and such considered assembly? Do they have to put the tires on the vehicle? Maybe add fluids? Trying to think what else wouldnt come assembled from the factory.
                      I was told that they frame comes in two pieces with the majority of the parts already installed on both pieces but there are some misc parts, not sure if that is true or not. Assuming that their labor rate is $100 an hour I don't think it is out of the question that receiving, uncrating, any assembly, getting all the correct fluids in it and confirming functionality will take close to 4 hours. I would think that this would be wrapped up in the cost of doing business for dealers but I get that any automotive sales is pretty competitive so they are looking for any profit center.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                        Try to find a good deal on used. These things have become heinously overpriced IMO.
                        We are our own worst enemy. What we have shown that we are willing to pay for entertainment, showing up our friends, convienence, the ability to go faster, being more capable so on and so on has created this issue. This goes for several things that range from SXS to trucks to going to the movies to going to a ball game to hunting in general.......... This list can go on and on.

Comment

They don't profit on these unless there is something along the lines of a $5-$10 admin fee:
                          VIT: $21
                          Tax: $1015
                          Reg/Doc: $158

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                            What counties do this? They are not licensed so how would anyone know if I paid taxes on it

They have a title from the State. Taxes are reported on those as to what is or is not paid...

Comment

Bought a Pro FXT in November and the big city dealers had a lot of extra fees. Ended up buying one from a rural dealer and only paid tax and another $78 for title/doc fee.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                They have a title from the State. Taxes are reported on those as to what is or is not paid...
                                Yes, but there is not a database to search that I am aware of. Do you know anyone that has ever had issues with this?

Comment

Working...
                                X