Cross-Dominance Or Mixed Handedness. How Many Of You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right eye dominate.
    Write, shoot, and most things right handed.
    Throw and bat left.

Crazy thing is my brother is exactly the opposite.

Cast and reel fly/bc/spin either hand.

Comment

Both my kids. Eight eye
      Shoot left

Comment

Right handed but left eye dominant. Still do most everything right handed. I do shoot pool left handed.

Comment

Left hand for writing and using a fork. Almost everything else right handed. I use a fly rod and spinning rig right handed but a baitcaster left handed. The only thing I can do equally well with either hand is swing a hammer/drive a nail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot rifle- right
            Shoot shotgun- right
            Shoot bow- right

Spinning reel- try not to use them, but can reel with either hand.

Baitcaster- cast with right arm, hold reel with left hand and reel with right hand.

I can’t do much with my left, but somehow both my kids ended up left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=Mayhem;16348886

I can’t do much with my left, but somehow both my kids ended up left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Do you sleep on the left side of the bed?

Comment

Some of what’s being listed has more to do with the dominant eye not the hand.

Write and throw left
                Play pool left
                Back when I participated in boxing I primarily fought from a right stance but could switch to southpaw seamlessly.
                Kick right footed
                Shoot bow right handed.
                Bat from either side of the plate
                Gun right handed
                Golf right handed

Comment

Shoot bow and rifle right handed, but I’m left eye dominant.
                  Spinning reel left handed.
                  Everything else right handed.

Comment

wright lefthanded
                    shoot guns left and right
                    bow right handed
                    throw right handed
                    bat left handed
                    golf left handed
                    use an ax lefthanded
                    right eye dominate

Comment

The fishing reel thing is a design quirk. Spinning reels were designed to cast the bait/lure, so they made them for right-handers to throw and fight with their strong arm while reeling with the left. Casting reels, ironically enough, originally you didn’t cast at all, just let the bait drop straight down. Therefore, they designed them so righties could crank with their strong arm cause there was nothing else to be done. This has just carried down even though you now cast with a baitcast too. Even though you can buy left-knob baitcasters, it’s not the norm. If they rediscovered/reinvented baitcast-style reels today, they’d all have handles on the left (except the deep sea types for the original reason.)

Comment

Rifle/pistol = right or left
                        Bow = right ( I have tried left and it got real ugly )
                        Write = right only ( make my X with a left )
                        Rope, throw baseball = right
                        Use a knife = right

Comment

I'm fairly ambidextrous. Write left. Eat left. Coffee left. Throw right. Bat right. Kick right. Left-eye dominate. Shoot right. Play guitar right. Can hammer a nail and throw darts with either hand.

Comment

Right eye dominant
                            Write right handed
                            Shoot right handed

For some odd reason I can kick a football easier with my left foot

Fishing reels same as others, spinning left retrieve, bait caster right. Although it would be way more efficient to just reel with left hand instead of swapping hands on the baitcasters

Comment

When it comes to fishing equipment, no matter you dominant hand, fishing should be done left handed. Bait caster or spinning, doesn’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
                                The fishing reel thing is a design quirk. Spinning reels were designed to cast the bait/lure, so they made them for right-handers to throw and fight with their strong arm while reeling with the left. Casting reels, ironically enough, originally you didn’t cast at all, just let the bait drop straight down. Therefore, they designed them so righties could crank with their strong arm cause there was nothing else to be done. This has just carried down even though you now cast with a baitcast too. Even though you can buy left-knob baitcasters, it’s not the norm. If they rediscovered/reinvented baitcast-style reels today, they’d all have handles on the left (except the deep sea types for the original reason.)

That makes sense and is probably why I was taught to use them that way by somebody born in 1910 and 1945.

Ive done it for so long I feel weaker using a left handed baitcaster ( I tried during my bass tournament days under the suspect guise I’d be more efficient) than right handed and right handed spinner than left handed. Always go back to right handed bc and left hand spin. I’ll even change the handles on the spin if I’m borrowing one .[emoji23][emoji23]

I’ve always said do what makes you comfortable.. not what someone says you “should do” based on their expert opinion for themselves. Well unless you fish a spinning reel with the reel above the rod “upside down” .. then you should listen to the expert folks.[emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X