Selling Taxidermy Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Taxidermy Mounts

My hunting buddy passed away last year leaving his widow many deer mounts and some other mounts. She wishes to do something with the mounts and I can't take them because my walls are full of my own mounts. Can she legally sell them? If yes, to whom ? If not where could she donate them for a tax write off?

Just for general kicks and knowledge. All the mounts were harvested with archery equipment traditional and compound. These are a lifetime of bow hunting by one of the founders of Lone Star Bowhunters Association.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

She can sell them to whoever wants to buy them. If they are world class mounts contact Bass Pro/Cabelas. eBay and Facebook marketplace are others sites she may be able to sell them on. It usually cost way more to mount them than the resale value. They just ain’t worth much to anyone besides the hunters who kill them.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-30-2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I had some luck selling a couple on ebay. It was about 11 years ago. You won't make much money.

Comment

What kind of mounts?
        If it's just your run of the mill whitetail, bobcat, hog, javelina, etc., she can easily sell them to whoever wants them.
        Ducks and other migratory birds can NOT be sold.
        Exotic animals are free game unless they're protected.

What all does she have? Post some pictures if you can.

Comment

They are average deer head mounts no monsters. I don't know about the bobcat mounts if she is parting with them. And there is a catalina goat, coyote head, javelina and merino ram that are poorly mounted many years ago..

No pictures.

She was worried if there were any legal issues with TPWD.

Thanks green screen.
          Last edited by poppy1; 07-30-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poppy1 View Post
            Thank you for the info. She was worried if there were any legal issues with TPWD.
            The only issue would be a bobcat that would cross state lines.
            If it stays in Texas, all is good.

Comment

Bobcat sold out of state will require a CITES permit.. Easy to get.
              Good luck to her on the sell. Second hand Taxidermy doesn't bring much $$$ at all unfortunately..
              Enteior decorators pay the best money of any I have found.

Comment

Find a local restaurant, bar, bow or gun shop that might need some outdoor decor. You or she could atleast go look at them from time to time.

Comment

My SCI buddy sold 500 of his last year. Did very well actually. I am thinking they may have been sent to a museum in Asia.

Comment

Wow 😳

Comment

Furniture / Home furnishing stores !

Comment

To answer the tax write off, I would guess that 85% of individuals/couples don’t have enough charitable contributions to actually benefit from a “donation” described here. If a great collection you could get there easily, but doesn’t sound like the numbers work.

Comment

Working...
                        X