Diesel gurus question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel gurus question

I’ve got an ‘02 Duramax and just about every 5,000 miles it starts getting starved for fuel and I have to get a new fuel filter.

Obviously something is amiss but I don’t know if it’s a sign the injectors are failing, or if maybe the fuel tanks dirty. Or maybe even something else?

Any thoughts or ideas as to what may be the issue is greatly appreciated. I just want my truck running right.

Sounds like a pressure issue, like once the filter gets somewhat dirty the engine possibly isn’t getting the fuel it needs due to lower pressure from something before the filter.

You should be able to get a gauge. Check the fuel pressure with a new filter, or as it currently sits as long as it’s running fine. When the issue starts, check again to see if there’s a drop.

Comment

Could be several things, water maybe or debris or even algae. You should probably drop the tank and have it cleaned then use some Power Service to clean up the fuel system.

Comment

I’d put an airdog of fass fuel system on it just to keep fuel cleaner and a constant supply of fuel. It’s a life saver on my 2001 Cummins.

Comment

First thing comes to mind is CP3 pump, Mine was doing the same thing (2005) Change the filter and was ok for a little. Thought I had bad fuel, algae, ended up being the CP3. That was about 6 years ago. Now I have a air leak somewhere and have to pump up my fuel filter housing every morning to run for the day, unless I'm parked on a slight slop then it starts right up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
            Could be several things, water maybe or debris or even algae. You should probably drop the tank and have it cleaned then use some Power Service to clean up the fuel system.
            I typically use Howes Every 2 to 3 fill-up’s. Is there any difference between the two?

I appreciate the other suggestions too. I think I’m going to take it to a dealer this week and leave it for a few days to see what they can find.

Comment

Are you using AC Delco filters? Those engines don't love aftermarket filters. If the filter is truly plugged with debris you have dirt/sand/trash in the tank itself. Next filter cut it open and see if there is truly debris.

If no debris is found. And you are using a AC Delco filter. Your fuel pump (mounted in engine valley) draws the fuel from the tank. There is a large Schrader valve on the top right side of the engine. That's where a vacuum gage is installed to check the vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                Are you using AC Delco filters? Those engines don't love aftermarket filters. If the filter is truly plugged with debris you have dirt/sand/trash in the tank itself. Next filter cut it open and see if there is truly debris.

If no debris is found. And you are using a AC Delco filter. Your fuel pump (mounted in engine valley) draws the fuel from the tank. There is a large Schrader valve on the top right side of the engine. That's where a vacuum gage is installed to check the vacuum.
                Some have been AC Delco‘s, some have not. I’ve gotten to where I have it done at a dealership, so my assumption is that that’s what they’re using. I really don’t think it’s a issue with the fuel filter itself though. I believe at this point there’s an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

Comment

Cut the filter open to see what's clogging it up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    I typically use Howes Every 2 to 3 fill-up’s. Is there any difference between the two?

I appreciate the other suggestions too. I think I’m going to take it to a dealer this week and leave it for a few days to see what they can find.
                    PS has several products that clean the fuel, kill algae and boost cetane. Give it a Google it really does work, I didn't relly believe in it until we started selling it and seeing the results.

Comment

So the dealership said the fuel lines are collapsed, to the tune of $1,300, which is fine if that fixes the issue, but can y’all think of anything else I should have them look at or check for?

Comment

did they explain how a new fuel filter" uncollapses" your fuel lines for a few thousand miles with any kind of logic??

Comment

Originally posted by flinch View Post
                          did they explain how a new fuel filter" uncollapses" your fuel lines for a few thousand miles with any kind of logic??
                          Not sure I follow?

Comment

I think that flinch is asking... if they say that it's because of a collapsed fuel line, then how do they explain a fuel filter swap making the situation better for another 5,000 miles?

Comment

Is the truck stock? Any tune or aftermarket parts?

Comment

Working...
                              X