East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I still have 3 buck tags left,
    one of my targets (an old 10) has daylighted 3 times since i left for work.
    Looks like ill be hunting the last 4-1/2 days of muzzleloader trying to make something happen.

Seems like most of my mature bucks never left for very long this year and I didn’t have any new good ones show up really.
    Usually my home place is crawling with new bucks l, sometimes a dozen with pass through. And even my 1700 acre farm had about 8 decent mature deer and that’s it. Crazy year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I ate some tag soup again, my oldest son got a tank of an old buck we were targeting and my youngest still has his eyes on a mature 8pt that we hope to kill one night this week.

All our targets made it though and should make for a heckuva year next year, especially if we get some rain.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
        need some help guys... in january we are going to be looking to purchase around 80-120 acres of recreational land within 2-2.5hrs of rockwall. probably somewhere between nacadoches up to the red. we are looking for a spot to take my boys on the weekends and possibly retire to in 8-10 years.

in a perfect world you would come in the gate off a county road and it would fall off into a nice big hardwood bottom with a creek or 2, maybe a pond, a couple meadows and have water and electricity. electricity is a must, or at least be close. and mature bucks in the 140s or better if i am dreaming

we check the listings everyday, but if you guys know of, or hear of anything, let me know...thanks
        Still looking.... We are going to check out 2 or 3 places next weekend

Comment

So to expand my thoughts and observations a bit more concerning the war of does, especially as it relates to east TX:

I have irrefutable proof right now that (some) bucks are still chasing, still fighting, and apparently still trying to breed. Biologists have been trying to sell us on the idea that a tighter buck to doe ratio would mean a more noticeable, but more concise, rut period. This in theory would help bucks particularly by shortening the period of greater stress, but evidently somebody forgot to tell the bucks in east TX, at least around me, because they're still going.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            I ate some tag soup again, my oldest son got a tank of an old buck we were targeting and my youngest still has his eyes on a mature 8pt that we hope to kill one night this week.

All our targets made it though and should make for a heckuva year next year, especially if we get some rain.
            My non hunting cousin just bought a property two years ago in the area you described that exactly meets the description. He has flipped property in the past. Price range?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
              Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I will pull 1 feeder. I hunt a pipeline that runs the length of the property and I have 1 feeder to my West and 1 to the East on the pipeline.
              E tx Pipelines are good early or rut but as the boom boom starts they avoid using it atleast during shooting times. May be see where they enter/leave the pipeline and corn pile 50-100yards inside and hang a cam and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                My non hunting cousin just bought a property two years ago in the area you described that exactly meets the description. He has flipped property in the past. Price range?
                thanks for the info sir... we are looking to stay under $425k or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  So to expand my thoughts and observations a bit more concerning the war of does, especially as it relates to east TX:

I have irrefutable proof right now that (some) bucks are still chasing, still fighting, and apparently still trying to breed. Biologists have been trying to sell us on the idea that a tighter buck to doe ratio would mean a more noticeable, but more concise, rut period. This in theory would help bucks particularly by shortening the period of greater stress, but evidently somebody forgot to tell the bucks in east TX, at least around me, because they're still going.
                  This is the time of year some doe fawns tend to get big enough to come into “season”. We see a mini rut/new broken antlers (if they haven’t dropped them)/new scrape activity every year at this time.

We also have bucks, like all years, that have started to drop horns.

Comment

Some impressive deer on these pages. Been tough in my area near Toledo bend. Still haven’t seen the mature bucks we had on camera before season. Passed a few good 4.5s though. Shall see if they start coming back around now that it’s getting late season and things are much more quiet and with less acorns.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck View Post
                      E tx Pipelines are good early or rut but as the boom boom starts they avoid using it atleast during shooting times. May be see where they enter/leave the pipeline and corn pile 50-100yards inside and hang a cam and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

i completely agree. Seen more dear in the last 2-3 days then ive seen all season. I saw atleast 30-40 deer in one of my wheat fields last night. I dont know how many bucks where in the group it was dusky but there was alot of chasing and playing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          This is the time of year some doe fawns tend to get big enough to come into “season”. We see a mini rut/new broken antlers (if they haven’t dropped them)/new scrape activity every year at this time.

We also have bucks, like all years, that have started to drop horns.
                          So I guess this would be a tertiary rut then? I mean the first comes late October/Early November, and then again early- to mid-December, so those are well behind us now.

I guess if they get the ratios right eventually this will slow down or stop (theoretically).

Comment

Ou first rut (extremely light activity) is late Sept., second is late Oct. (major activity). Rarely we see some activity in Nov. or Dec., but it does sometimes happen. Always seems to be an uptick this time of year thru end of the month of Jan. Rut is defined as actual breeding time. What most people consider the rut (cruising and harassing) is actually pre-rut.

Out ratios are pretty closes to 1:1 to 1:1.5.
                            Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-06-2023, 04:14 PM.

Comment

So I guess this would be a tertiary rut then? I mean the first comes late October/Early November, and then again early- to mid-December, so those are well behind us now.

I guess if they get the ratios right eventually this will slow down or stop (theoretically).
                              We have a batch of this years fawns coming in right now. It can happen but the bucks are grouped up tight here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                                Stud buck right there. I love the palmation. Hopefully you can get him next year.

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

(5) 5.5 mature etx bucks ya love to see it! The East kids are wrapped! [emoji1377][emoji1377][emoji1377][emoji1377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                                We had a relatively slow season. About 2/3 way through the doe tags at this point.

1 target buck killed, 1 I can't get a picture of (suspicious), and 1 off the don't shoot list... oh well, here's to another year of managing people more than deer

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                You hunt closer to me than I thought [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X