Feeder Modification (Crazy Idea!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Modification (Crazy Idea!)

We were down at the lease this weekend, talking to all the landowners while helping herd goats and sheep to pens. They all asked why we don't mount a blinker relay and car horn to our feeders. They use this setup for goats and sheep as well. When the feeder feeds it sounds the horn like a vehicle to draw in the animals from afar. Apparently, the deer get accustomed to the horn and attribute the sound to food.

I would never have believed it if I did not see it myself.

Has anyone else ever done this to a deer feeder?

We just use pea gravel round here.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

!
      Attached Files

Comment

It might work but I already about jump out of my skin when napping and the feeder spins. An air horn going off might give me a heart attack!

Comment

Here and I was thinking about going the opposite direction - spin for 1-2 seconds three to four times every 10-12 minutes. It keeps the deer from getting pelted by corn.

Comment

Sounds like it would wake me up or disturb my peace and quiet.

Comment

That's what the corn does.

Comment

I am pretty sure the deer can here all that clanking as the feeder spins. I do like it to be noisy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Here and I was thinking about going the opposite direction - spin for 1-2 seconds three to four times every 10-12 minutes. It keeps the deer from getting pelted by corn.
                  So it goes off. Then they come in. Then it goes off and hits them. Then it goes off again. Multiple times

Corn ain’t gonna hurt the deer lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    So it goes off. Then they come in. Then it goes off and hits them. Then it goes off again. Multiple times

Corn ain’t gonna hurt the deer lol
                    I love watching the feeder go off with the deer there. They jump out of their skin and run for their lives for about 20 yards, then stop and run back and go to eating.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                      I love watching the feeder go off with the deer there. They jump out of their skin and run for their lives for about 20 yards, then stop and run back and go to eating.
                      Heck mine just stand there and look at it. Sone don’t even pick up their head.

Comment

They all asked why we don't mount a blinker relay and car horn to our feeders.
                        Heck, why stop there? Why not add a car radio too?

Comment

That doesn't sound peaceful. And for that reason, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinztx View Post
                            We were down at the lease this weekend, talking to all the landowners while helping herd goats and sheep to pens. They all asked why we don't mount a blinker relay and car horn to our feeders. They use this setup for goats and sheep as well. When the feeder feeds it sounds the horn like a vehicle to draw in the animals from afar. Apparently, the deer get accustomed to the horn and attribute the sound to food.

I would never have believed it if I did not see it myself.

Has anyone else ever done this to a deer feeder?
                            My Granddad drilled water wells all around the hill country for decades. Many times he just camped out at the rig for days because the drive back home was to far. He told me more than once that after a couple of days running the rig, straight six with not much muffler, the deer would come up 40-50 yards away and look to see what all the noise was about. They get used to the noise and once they figure out it won't eat them they'll just ignore it.

Comment

I'd have every cow in the area pasture at my feeder if it had a car horn. Landowners feed their cows with a vehicle honk. No Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X