No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are still hitting our corn pretty hard, mostly hand corn/road feeders but going to the feeders as well.

Comment

I had hogs show up at a feeder for the first time in almost a month last night. While I sure don't want them around it may be a sign that the acorns are getting thin in some places.

That's good because I've got a roamer I need to come home. We have a date in December.

Comment

The Good Lord blessed me with one heck of an old piney woods bruiser opening weekend of rifle. It’s not very often that you get to put your tag on an 8.5 year old free range buck.
        Our neighbor and lease manager first saw this guy back in 2019 and knew he had potential to be something special. 2020 he got a pass to grow and last year he broke his main beam so he got another pass. He showed up again this year beginning of October at the neighbors and had a target on him but was to wise to show himself during daylight. About 2 weeks ago I started getting pics of him over at my stand and have hunted him with my bow almost every day the wind was right since then. Opening morning of rifle I even slept in (that’s like sleeping in on Christmas lol) to wait on the wind to shift to my favor. Once the wind got right at about 2:30, I slipped into my stand and an hour later “Great 8” stepped out to give me chance.
        Thank you God. Thanks to the good group of neighbors that let these bucks grow. And a huuuge special thank you to my lovely wife for supporting me and my hobby that I have so much passion for.
        Attached Files

Comment

That a Houston Co stud? Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            That a Houston Co stud? Congrats!
            No sir. Trinity county. Thank you!

Comment

Outstanding buck there. Congratulations!!

Comment

Biggin’!

Comment

Marsh that is a GREAT buck congratulations.

By sheer coincidence I came here to mention that I let an absolute hammer of a buck walk this morning, and I did it because his main beam was broke off just past his brow tine on his left side. That one really hurt, but I know I would’ve been angry at myself if I would’ve killed him.

Comment

New visitor at the feeder . .

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
                      The Good Lord blessed me with one heck of an old piney woods bruiser opening weekend of rifle. It’s not very often that you get to put your tag on an 8.5 year old free range buck.
                      Our neighbor and lease manager first saw this guy back in 2019 and knew he had potential to be something special. 2020 he got a pass to grow and last year he broke his main beam so he got another pass. He showed up again this year beginning of October at the neighbors and had a target on him but was to wise to show himself during daylight. About 2 weeks ago I started getting pics of him over at my stand and have hunted him with my bow almost every day the wind was right since then. Opening morning of rifle I even slept in (that’s like sleeping in on Christmas lol) to wait on the wind to shift to my favor. Once the wind got right at about 2:30, I slipped into my stand and an hour later “Great 8” stepped out to give me chance.
                      Thank you God. Thanks to the good group of neighbors that let these bucks grow. And a huuuge special thank you to my lovely wife for supporting me and my hobby that I have so much passion for.

Awesome deer and story. Have you put a tape on him yet? Curious how long his main beams are…congrats on a great buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After piecing puzzle pieces together last week. I made a mental plan to use north wind and set up where the doe would walk right under me! Already have an awesome tree on ridge but wind was wrong and I’ve been seeing every animal swinging waaaayyy wide scent checking. If thermals are good I’m good but evening hunts are brutal

Picked a tree this morning and planned to hunt till noon-1:00ish. Before 8:00 I hear steps and I’ll be &@$% “Big Jim” at 25 yrds. But he didn’t walk ridge he crossed it…. He walked right under my current platform. First time I’ve seen him in person in 4 years or so. Incredible. Hour or so later 3 doe came breaking brush running too me and past me on same trail he was on, just opposite direction. Hit a hay field and I lost site…. Nothing followed

Climbed down about 10:30 or so and moved a whole 15 yards… why I didn’t pick this tree this morning I’ll never know. It’s absolutely perfect in every way and I could have killed every single deer I’ve seen all season on the property from it

Now we wait some more….

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post

Congrats, I saw him on Texas buck registry. He really is awesome. I love his frame

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

This tree is Mo betta anyway. Red oak I was in this morning sucked! Lol

Great buck, congratulations!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              This tree is Mo betta anyway. Red oak I was in this morning sucked! Lol

Great buck, congratulations!
                              Shoot something

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
                                Awesome deer and story. Have you put a tape on him yet? Curious how long his main beams are…congrats on a great buck.

He actually taped out at 131”. Beams were 20 & 21”. 31.5” of mass. A few us thought he would have about 10 more inches on him from the trail pics. He only weighed 120 lbs on the hoof! So his trail cam pics were a bit deceiving. No one in the area (talked to quite a few neighbors) had pics of him during the summer so I don’t know if he ever ate any protein feed. Heck Even on the hand corn he would only stop for one bite and leave and the day I got him he walked right past it. He’s just been rolling into the area every October. This year he chased a doe about 1 mile further east than he should have lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X