No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am back in my ground blind at the free place. Last two days school has been canceled due to no water. Didn’t find out till 6 am yesterday and opted to not hunt because I would not have made it in till almost daylight. Well shooter showed up at 10am. Just my luck. Today however I got in stand at 6. Just hope the wind doesn’t get me. It’s a bit iffy and non existent. Here is to hoping he comes back in. I am doing it Indian style with a recurve I got from jerp a month ago. Been shooting every day and I am confident I can make the shot. Corn is at 10 yards. Pretty morning so far. Cool but not cold. Real quiet considering I am hunting close to lots of houses. It’s way different than my lease which is 6,000 acres surrounded by another 20k of timberland

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      Well I am back in my ground blind at the free place. Last two days school has been canceled due to no water. Didn’t find out till 6 am yesterday and opted to not hunt because I would not have made it in till almost daylight. Well shooter showed up at 10am. Just my luck. Today however I got in stand at 6. Just hope the wind doesn’t get me. It’s a bit iffy and non existent. Here is to hoping he comes back in. I am doing it Indian style with a recurve I got from jerp a month ago. Been shooting every day and I am confident I can make the shot. Corn is at 10 yards. Pretty morning so far. Cool but not cold. Real quiet considering I am hunting close to lots of houses. It’s way different than my lease which is 6,000 acres surrounded by another 20k of timberland
      Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        This.

I went from 500lbs per month per protein feeder to 25lbs per month per feeder since season started. And they prefer protein over corn.
        I've never fed protein. I thought it is not worth the cost on 30 acres. But I have thought about corn/soybean mix.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
          My son got a nice one this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
          That's beyond nice....wowzer!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
            I've never fed protein. I thought it is not worth the cost on 30 acres. But I have thought about corn/soybean mix.
            I feed both and went from 150-200 pounds a week in corn soybean mix… to about 4-5 pounds a week

Corn….. across all my properties 5 fees stations Less than 5 pounds a week go to deer

Protein…. They cruise by once in a while but completely stopped eating it 2-3 weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              I feed both and went from 150-200 pounds a week in corn soybean mix… to about 4-5 pounds a week

Corn….. across all my properties 5 fees stations Less than 5 pounds a week go to deer

Protein…. They cruise by once in a while but completely stopped eating it 2-3 weeks ago
              The way things are going I'm considering picking up the individual kernels by hand and bagging them up to dump back in the feeders. LOL That is if the corn stalks that're growing don't generate enough ears to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Is it the acorns?

Comment

Good luck! Did the deer from the trespassing picture ever show back up?

Comment

Any updates?
                    Sat till 11am this morning. Never had one come in. Had to run to town and got back in stand later than I wanted. Got in around 315. Let’s hope something happens. This is my last hunt here on my free spot till next week. Friday evening I head to camp to try to wack a couple slick heads. Hopefully I get that done by Monday then I have all week here to get one laid down with the Indian bow

Comment

Sat till 11am this morning. Never had one come in. Had to run to town and got back in stand later than I wanted. Got in around 315. Let’s hope something happens. This is my last hunt here on my free spot till next week. Friday evening I head to camp to try to wack a couple slick heads. Hopefully I get that done by Monday then I have all week here to get one laid down with the Indian bow
                      Good luck.

Comment

Is it the acorns?
                        Everything really. If they want an acorn…. Bend over and pick one up

If they want greens… no need to travel to a food plot, with drought conditions we had then rain everything is a putting green

Want corn…. There’s a feeder every 40 acres to choose from now that general season started

Comment

I was commenting more to the fact, the deer are not coming to feeders.

They are hoovering the acorns.

Comment

well I sat till dark yesterday and got blanked again. Funny deer on my angelina county place are not coming to corn at all but my polk county place 8 miles as the crow flies they are hammering it all day long.
                            The tresspassing buck did show back up one time, but him and all but one of my other shooters have gone missing for about 3 weeks now. Hoping its the acorns. I did have one shooter yesterday come in at 10am or so.

Comment

well I sat till dark yesterday and got blanked again. Funny deer on my angelina county place are not coming to corn at all but my polk county place 8 miles as the crow flies they are hammering it all day long.
                              The tresspassing buck did show back up one time, but him and all but one of my other shooters have gone missing for about 3 weeks now. Hoping its the acorns. I did have one shooter yesterday come in at 10am or so.
                              Back nibbling corn at Renfro. Still hitting alfalfa in a big way. Mostly does and young bucks. The big bucks are chasing hard and look run down. I have seen a number of bucks with busted antlers.

Comment

I had days of corn piling up under my feeders, assuming due to the acorns. Now all of that has been eaten. But, still not seeing much come in during daylight hours. On camera I have some coming in at night to eat . . . All the alfalfa was eaten as well, but I think it has been the does I'm seeing. Watched them for days on end expecting some bucks to follow, but nothing . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X