No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of yall who are waiting for general season, good luck to ya tomorrow and be careful out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      Yea he was. Even if he came from a 140 grain arrow

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      It's not my fault we're MLD

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        It's not my fault we're MLD

lol

A buddy of mine that hunts near Grapeland like I do had a conversation about MLD properties in east Texas. We both didnt understand how MLD in the area is needed or allowed. For us, we just dont see the volume of deer in the area that would seem to warrant MLD, but know of some in the area that just hammer them during bow season.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
          lol

A buddy of mine that hunts near Grapeland like I do had a conversation about MLD properties in east Texas. We both didnt understand how MLD in the area is needed or allowed. For us, we just dont see the volume of deer in the area that would seem to warrant MLD, but know of some in the area that just hammer them during bow season.

J
          Sounds like you might want to consider MLD, seeing it is mainly focused on keeping your population in check and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
            Yep we had quite a bit movement the last two days. Today though is a whole other story, absolutely nothing. Think this hotter weather and increasingly larger moon has them going back nocturnal/first light patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Exactly what I am seeing. Bucks are around but everything is at night. I sat yesterday and walked over a bed of acorns to get to my stand. Why come out during the day when the food is good at night. Hoping this storm keeps them bedded down all night so they get up hungry Sat morning. Every time I hear a rifle shot during gun season my heart sinks a little knowing that is one less deer in my area lol.

Comment

lol

J
              I would think most MLD properties do more than plan a quarter acre food plot and run a corn feeder year-round. I'm not saying this is you or your buddy but most MLD places are ran by people that are more serious about managing the herd than the average East Texas Hunter

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                Sounds like you might want to consider MLD, seeing it is mainly focused on keeping your population in check and healthy.
                Oh, I do know what the MLD is for.....I believe.

This is what I am saying, the numbers in my area (west of Grapeland) and my buddy's area (east of Grapeland) are not very high, but there are multiple MLD properties near us. So if the numbers are low, why would MLD be needed or allowed? Unless I am not fully understanding what you are saying.

I would think you would have to get numbers up, before you need to thin them and attempt remove bad genetics.

J

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                  I would think most MLD properties do more than plan a quarter acre food plot and run a corn feeder year-round. I'm not saying this is you or your buddy but most MLD places are ran by people that are more serious about managing the herd than the average East Texas Hunter

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I can definitely understand this. We are both on smaller, couple hundred acre places. I suppose I havent had an opportunity to be on a large acre property in the area to really see E. Texas possibilities.

I have been on a couple MLD properties similar in size in the Hill Country and the numbers are way different. Could be considered an infestation in comparison. Haha

J

Comment

This is what I am saying, the numbers in my area (west of Grapeland) and my buddy's area (east of Grapeland) are not very high, but there are multiple MLD properties near us. So if the numbers are low, why would MLD be needed or allowed? Unless I am not fully understanding what you are saying.

I would think you would have to get numbers up, before you need to thin them and attempt remove bad genetics.

J
                    I don't think you know what the purpose of MLD is for. It isn't to reduce the population, it's to manage the herd. Why would your area having a low population mean it isn't needed? If anything it limits the number of deer killed on a property vs a traditional east texas lease where they put a hunter per 50 acres and they are each allowed to kill the states allotment of 3-4 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      Exactly what I am seeing. Bucks are around but everything is at night. I sat yesterday and walked over a bed of acorns to get to my stand. Why come out during the day when the food is good at night. Hoping this storm keeps them bedded down all night so they get up hungry Sat morning. Every time I hear a rifle shot during gun season my heart sinks a little knowing that is one less deer in my area lol.
                      One thing I have noticed and pay more attention too now because of this thread is all areas of East Texas differ based on deer movement and activity. Something I wouldn't think would be alot different based on a general area. They moved excellent today on our property but not till 10am. Another thing I have noticed is alot people saying they have stopped hitting feeders and are on acorns. I haven't seen that. 290 acres of our 563 is hardwood creek bottoms and doe's and yearlings continue to hammer the feeders.
                      Attached Files

Comment

J
                        . Of course every place is different… but in most situations you have a large(er) track of land with HOPEFULLY an extremely low number of hunters. 1 hunter with 4 tags to burn In East Texas can’t manage 600 acres of deer that’s where mld helps. It allows a person more control without adding people with different goals to influence their efforts

Comment

After passing this guy twice last year while chasing a ghost, and 2 weeks of cat and mouse this season, my primary target slipped up and slipped in at 7:15 this morning. A hot doe almost screwed things up, but I got it done and could not be happier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE3E23C4-F080-4B4F-9ED8-80D861C68200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	24696976

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            After passing this guy twice last year while chasing a ghost, and 2 weeks of cat and mouse this season, my primary target slipped up and slipped in at 7:15 this morning. A hot doe almost screwed things up, but I got it done and could not be happier.

[ATTACH]1108165[/ATTACH]
                            Beautiful deer

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

My goodness, that's a pretty deer! That hoss is the epitome of what an East Texas Monarch is supposed to look like! Nice rack and beautiful cape. He's gonna look mighty fine hangin' on the wall or on top of a pedestal!!
                              Congratulations on a fine, fine specimen of a mature buck!

Comment

Fantastic buck!

Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                                X